Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrob4267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Hello,
I'm new here (slightly above average user with Macs and PC's) and am trying to get some help with a computer. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Here's the deal. I was recently given a computer (relative that passed away) that has the following specs:

Hardware:
Model Name: iMac (Mid 2011)
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.71f22

System Software:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2

MS Office 2011

My original goal was to wipe the drive and start over but I do not have any of the discs that came with the computer and don't know how I can get this computer back to original without all the old users info/files.

I do have the old user's Apple ID and password.

I do have a time machine back up of everything on the computer currently.

What is the best way to get the computer back to the way it came from the factory and adding the MS Office 2011.

The other issue is that most of the programs when I open them want me to upgrade the OS as well as each program. What is the most recent OS that will work on this machine or do I need to upgrade memory or something else?

Last edited:

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
I suspect that without additional expenditure you can Either clean install OR keep MS Office 2011.

If clean install is not absolutely essential you could add yourself as a new user with Administrator rights, check everything is working as you'd expect, then delete the original user. Then upgrade to Sierra, it'll work fine on that machine as is, adding RAM will help but it all depends on your use-case. If you only use a few browser tabs & Office then there is little to be gained.

Good that you have the Time Machine backup so you can go back to that however please note that often when restored from TM, MS Office will still ask for a serial no.

Personal opinion, MS Office 2016 was a big improvement over 2011...

If you want to go 'factory fresh'
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

This may be of interest to you too
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

jrob4267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
I suspect that without additional expenditure you can Either clean install OR keep MS Office 2011.

If clean install is not absolutely essential you could add yourself as a new user with Administrator rights, check everything is working as you'd expect, then delete the original user. Then upgrade to Sierra, it'll work fine on that machine as is, adding RAM will help but it all depends on your use-case. If you only use a few browser tabs & Office then there is little to be gained.

Good that you have the Time Machine backup so you can go back to that however please note that often when restored from TM, MS Office will still ask for a serial no.

Personal opinion, MS Office 2016 was a big improvement over 2011...

If you want to go 'factory fresh'
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

This may be of interest to you too
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html
[doublepost=1503313175][/doublepost]Thanks buggy. I will try the new user option. So far, so good. Was wondering if I do go with the nuclear option and do a factory reset, what programs are would be reinstalled? iMovie, garage band, etc or only the OS. Thanks again.

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
Things have changed over the years so I can't guarantee that you'd have those apps with a Lion reinstall, however, if you upgrade to Sierra, you can get them all free from the app store anyway.

Its the non-Apple programs that will be an issue or if there happens to be Logic or Final-Cut on the iMac.

If you were to try to stay on Lion ( not recommended) and Garage Band etc are missing, you won't be able to download them from the App Store from your new profile. There is an oddity that you can download the old programs if you have previously done so, but if you didn't when they were current, you can't now.
That would leave you digging back into Time Machine to the Applications folder & dragging them onto the new install then hunting the Apple site for manual updates of the likes of Garage Band 6 to sort out the hidden Library files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.