Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
About a decade ago, I had a network setup of Powerline adapter to router. And then setup that router to broadcast “Wifi2000”. So now, I have wifi access in my living room. I have a main router setup in my bedroom, let say that’s “Router1”. Several years later, I purchased a D-Link wifi extender. So I disconnected the router I had set up. And I even got a newer model Powerline adapters. These work great together. Let’s call the wifi extender SSID, “Wifi2018”. And more recently, I replaced the Wifi2018 wifi extender, with a newer one. “Wifi2023”. So any old wifi setup I’ve had, is gone. There is no reason why Wifi2000 should still be showing up.

I haven’t used Wifi2000 since I disconnected the old router. But for some reason, I still see the SSID popping up as an available network. And I don’t have the option to “Forget Network”.

Does anyone know why I’m still seeing this old, defunked SSID? It shows up on any device I have. Ie. iPhone, iPad, Macbook, even on PC laptops. And how I can permanently remove it from showing up as an Available Network.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Since you mentioned Macs and PCs...and that it shows up as an available network...it sounds to me like you still have something broadcasting the "Wifi2000" SSID. Or perhaps a neighbor just so happens to be using the same name. (Old/saved networks should not show up in the available networks list if it isn't being broadcasted.)

Does it show up when you're away from home, or on a family/friend's device that would have never connected to it, or on a factory reset device? If so, there's nothing you can do to remove it, but to determine what's broadcasting it. Perhaps start by turning off all your routers/extenders to see if it goes away. Maybe it's a network on its own band, or a guest network...or a neighbor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.