Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
DC
I will be switching to the next update of the 17" imac when it comes out. Right now I have an old Dell that crashes at least once a day. I don't remember the exact year that I got it, but it runs windows 98, so it is from before 1998. Still, i have quite a few files, namely mp3's, that I would want to transfer to the imac. Since the dell only has a dvd-rom, and no cd-burner, I will have a hard time transfering the files. The only way I can think of doing this is getting one of those USB memory keys, a cheap one, with like 32 MB of memory, and transfer the files one load at a time. Can anyone verify that this will work, or tell me another way I can transfer the files from the pc to the mac?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I think that the Move2Mac is a good product, but doesn't it take a painful amount of time to transfer gigabytes of data over USB?

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Originally posted by Freg3000
I think that the Move2Mac is a good product, but doesn't it take a painful amount of time to transfer gigabytes of data over USB?

Half a hour for 1 gig... it isn't ethernet, but it's ok, since it's a one time thing I guess. Imagine you have 15 gig's of MP3, and maybe someone has that, then it would dat 7.5 hours, a workday... doable for once i guess

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well, this should work with PC-Mac as easily as it does Mac-Mac, I guess, but when I get my new PowerBook, I'm just plugging it into my home network and transfering all the files I want to keep to my new PowerBook, it'll be quick and fast with 100 mbps compared to the USB way. I'd love to do the .Mac trial and use the iDisk to just sync the two, but my old PowerBook can't do .Mac since I don't run OS X on it. There's also target disk with firewire, no sure how that works since my PowerBook is pre-firewire, so I haven't used it before, but I've heard that it's really fast (4 times faster than fast ethernet), but I'm not sure if many PCs have firewire and if they do, if they'd talk with a Mac. I guess with all this rambling, I am just saying that the networking idea would be the least painful way if you have one setup. If not, then, there's always removeable data...lots and lots of removeable data...

bluebull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
DC
If it works, I'll do it. I think I heard of that move to mac thing before, but I never looked into it. Time doesn't really bother me, because the Dell only has a 20 GB hard drive, which right now is about 18 GB full, but I probably only need to transfer like 5 GB or less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.