Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Back in April, I was made redundant, and with that, I removed the company email (Office 365) account I had on my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Today, I installed the Outlook app (that same app I used, prior to redundancy), and during the process of adding an email account to the app, I noticed the email account I used to use for work, was a choice to merely add.

How do I delete this account information, FOREVER? I do not see it in settings anywhere; unless am merely looking in the wrong place.

Thanks all.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Hmm, I did check that earlier, and saw nothing related to that old work account.
Rather odd really. Plus, seeing the old work email account, is rather depressing a bit, too!

You might want to check the settings in your Microsoft account online.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Hmm, I did check that earlier, and saw nothing related to that old work account.
Rather odd really. Plus, seeing the old work email account, is rather depressing a bit, too!
So sorry it's a bad reminder of your experience. Have you tried checking in Outlook.com as well?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When an app is deleted in iOS, all its data isn't necessarily deleted too. I've deleted misbehaving apps along with their data and log in info and then re-downloaded a fresh copy of the app - and guess what? A lot of the original data repopulated the app. Log in info and a few other things.

The only way to try to ensure that everything associated with an app is really gone, is nuke the phone with a factory reset. But I bet even then there's no guarantee.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Based on your post, I just checked. It is certainly cached on iOS, somewhere. A tad bit frustrating.
If I go to OneDrive, or anything related to Office, to add an account, I can see the old account. Ugh...

So sorry it's a bad reminder of your experience. Have you tried checking in Outlook.com as well?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When an app is deleted in iOS, all its data isn't necessarily deleted too. I've deleted misbehaving apps along with their data and log in info and then re-downloaded a fresh copy of the app - and guess what? A lot of the original data repopulated the app. Log in info and a few other things.

The only way to try to ensure that everything associated with an app is really gone, is nuke the phone with a factory reset. But I bet even then there's no guarantee.
That seems strange as when you are about to delete an app Apple themselves say that when an app is deleted all of the associated data is deleted as well. It would be rather odd if that wasn't the case (as that appears to be happening now with this Outlook example).

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UPDATE:
I figured it out. There is an 'Office' app, and within that app, lots of data on 'Recent'.
I deleted all that info, and now said account information is gone. Thank goodness for that. Small wins.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
UPDATE:
I figured it out. There is an 'Office' app, and within that app, lots of data on 'Recent'.
I deleted all that info, and now said account information is gone. Thank goodness for that. Small wins.
As in you had a separate Office app installed or needed to install it to use it to access the "Recent" data in it to delete it?

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Earlier this year, Microsoft released an app, called, 'Office'. I had it installed ages ago, but never really used it.
So, based on feedback from others on this thread, I decided to check each Microsoft related app, to see if any of them was holding old credentials and data. That is when I came across old 'Recents' paths for data to OneDrive. Which, of course, said connection to those paths are no longer valid, as the old company account is no longer on the device.

I removed the recent items in the list and now, no more old company account information ?

As in you had a separate Office app installed or needed to install it to use it to access the "Recent" data in it to delete it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Earlier this year, Microsoft released an app, called, 'Office'. I had it installed ages ago, but never really used it.
So, based on feedback from others on this thread, I decided to check each Microsoft related app, to see if any of them was holding old credentials and data. That is when I came across old 'Recents' paths for data to OneDrive. Which, of course, said connection to those paths are no longer valid, as the old company account is no longer on the device.

I removed the recent items in the list and now, no more old company account information ?
Good to know. I never had Office installed but have certainly experienced the issue you were describing with Outlook retaining old account information even after completely deleting the app (and supposedly associated data with it). Seems odd that another app would need to be installed and used to delete remaining data, but I guess at least the option is there somewhere given that the expected way of just deleting the app doesn't seem to do the trick.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
To be honest, I am willing to bet the details for Recent, would be in the OneDrive app, too.
However, I had already deleted that app, ages ago. I only kept the Office app, since I have my own personally subscription for Office 365. I do not use OneDrive (simply too slow, and not as flexible as Google Drive), and thus use Google Drive to store my data. I know, I know...taboo...

Good to know. I never had Office installed but have certainly experienced the issue you were describing with Outlook retaining old account information even after completely deleting the app (and supposedly associated data with it). Seems odd that another app would need to be installed and used to delete remaining data, but I guess at least the option is there somewhere given that the expected way of just deleting the app doesn't seem to do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.