Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
I'm a PC user converting to my first mac and would like to get a power platform on which to build. The question is do I opt for one of the few remaining G4 dual 800's, available at heavy discount, or, opt for the new 1 Gig dual.
With the introduction of the G5 seemingly less than a year away the 800 dual would seem to offer excellent value. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
your probably right

The G5 is going to be a MAJOR upgrade... I wouldnt go out and spend too much on a Mac now. The G5 is going to support DDR, USB2.0, FireWire2.0, faster bus, etc... plus the CPU. I wouldn't spend too much money now...

btw... congrats on becomming a Mac user. One more convert!!!

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
how much is enough?

you have to ask you when enough is enough. I will get the dual 1GHZ now. Its so blazing fast from my workflow that there is no need later again to upgrade to a G5.

I mean. For print and web it really ain't matter anymore. May be for video i would get the cheaper one and later stock up.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I guess it would depend on the price... what can you get the dual 800 for?

dougie

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2001
CA
When was the last MAJOR (ie dramatic) performance increase? Never... G3 to G4 with just about none available, about a 20% clock speed improvement...
To go from 1.0 to 1.6 Ghz, a 60% jump: everybody talked as if it were the obvious thing in early Jan. HA! Mark this: It will not happen! If history is a guide...a G5 will at most be a 1.4 and likely be bumped to $3500 again. So a Dual 1 is probably fine to jump in with as speeds will always (graadduuaallyy)
get better.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Forget the G5

Its gonna cost a bundle!

I am in the same boat and here is my plan:

Find a good deal on an DP 800. Use the money saved to fill it with Ram and a couple more drives. Swap out the video card for a Radeon 8500.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Plus, resale value

Macs hold their value. If you decide to upgrade this fall, you will get top dollar for your DP.

Check our eBay - where idiots buy used DP machines for more $$$ than a new one costs.

russiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
Thanks for the replies. It would seem opion is 50/50 split. Dual 800's in the Uk are now very thin on the ground with the remaining few being sold off for around £2150 ($3000). Taking the point that macs are a bit like Mercdedes benz in terms of depreciation, think I'll opt for the dual 1 gig which hopefully will serve me well into the future.
Still hope the G5 when released is revolutionary, further swinging the scales in the Mac/PC battle.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
How about spending a bit less and get the G4 933MHz model?? opt down to the Radeon card (save a few $$) and then use the money you saved to increase the memory, get a Radeon 8500 video card, and as many hard drives as you want.

I will probably be getting a new Mac tower after MWNY this year, and will go for the fastest single processor and then 'tweak' it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.