Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I run a photo studio, and we've reached the point where it would be handy to have a file server that we can all access easily. I have an old G4 - a 350mhz from 1999 - and 3 lacie big disk 1TB drives, which I was thinking of RAIDing. I got a gigabit card (we have a gigabit LAN running already) and a FW800 card for the G4, which both work fine. we've been testing it, and it seems the system bus is going to be a big bottleneck for us - it's 100mhz on this guy. in tests, the file transfer times seem to be about 50% longer coming off of the G4 than from my G52x2.

any suggestions on getting around this and speeding up transfer rates? we're also thinking of getting a NAS drive that hooks up directly to the ethernet. this would be for main-line active projects, while the G4 RAID would be more second teir and long-term storage. I basically just dont want to have wasted the ~$2500 I spent on the 3 TB drives. any suggestions on alternative setups that use the gear I already have?

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.