Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
I am currently using an old Iphone SE bought few years ago and still using it now.

Before that, I used iphone 4s and i recalled i had to replace the batteries many time at the local repair shop.... that used non genuine batteries. I did this many times because I didn't want to spend whatever the retail price was at the apple store. Thus imagine spending like 20 dollars each time and doing it many times and it probably costing more than had i went to apple. Also back then i think they already had iphone 6 but not sure. But whatever batteries they used, it drained a lot.

Then one day, my iphone 4s stopped working as I saw the back of my phone suddenly got bloated. I read this is bloated battery. I never seen this before. I then put it in a desk drawer. Then I took it with me whenever I traveled to another location but eventually I still have it and its like in a drawer in the house.

The thing is before it stopped working and had bloated battery, I did not put a passcode on it. Also, all my email passwords or anything I was logged in to at the time, was still logged in. What do you suggest I do with this phone? Would it work if i remove the bloated battery and put in a new one? I don't think I could do this though so I probably need to go to tech place to do it.

Yes its a very old phone. My main concerns are... could it explode and thus safety issue? I read it could. And if i were to have someone put in a new battery, what are the odds it would power on after charging? Haven't used it in years. But would it turn on and all my email and everything is still there? That is the main concern here. I was going to dispose it a while back but I didn't want an issue where if someone picks up the phone and put in new battery, then they charge it and power it on... then all my information is there. So i considered breaking it with a hammer. But how much would it cost if say i get a replacement battery and see if it powers on? Would you recommend that or not? I would still put it in a drawer/closet though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Depending on what internal parts the bulging battery may have damaged or dislodged, there is no guarantee it would turn on. Probably it would, but you just don't know.

If you're just going to stick it back in a drawer though, what is the point of replacing the battery (again)?

Apple batteries come in a sleeve and that sleeve is designed to protect the battery and keep everything inside contained. When a battery swells, the sleeve keeps everything safe. I know this because I've had Apple replace the battery on my iPhone 5 (for swelling) at least three times. As long as that sleeve does not get punctured, you're okay. But it's a gamble of what could happen if you do puncture it.

I assume that third party batteries have the same protective sleeve. But that is an assumption, and if they do, it is also an assumption that those sleeves provide the same quality of protection that the ones on Apple batteries do.

What you decide to do is a decision only you can make, but unless you've had experience removing batteries I'd leave that to Apple or the shops you have so far trusted with your phone.

As to disposing of it, Apple stores accept old iPhones for recycling. They might even give you something for it, IDK. But I'd trust Apple with a device that I was logged into when it died (with no passcode) over another recycler.

Reactions: now i see it

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Is it easy to remove the bloated battery myself if no experience? The thing is i actually left it in the old iphone box it used for a while and basically put it out in the open in the house.

So obviously there was a bit of concern.

I don't have any need for this old iphone now.. but i want to make sure its no longer dangerous.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is it easy to remove the bloated battery myself if no experience? The thing is i actually left it in the old iphone box it used for a while and basically put it out in the open in the house.

So obviously there was a bit of concern.

I don't have any need for this old iphone now.. but i want to make sure its no longer dangerous.
Swollen lithium ion batteries aren't safe to keep around, even if removed from a device, so you need to get rid of the battery regardless of what you do with the phone. Apple will recycle the phone for you but they definitely won't pay any money for it. Without putting a known good replacement battery in the phone, you won't know if other damage has happened as a result of the battery swelling. As such, just recycling the phone is really the best option.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I would get rid of a phone with a swollen battery. Immediately.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would get rid of a phone with a swollen battery. Immediately.
That was my concern the last time I had a swollen battery on my iPhone 5. I expressed that concern to the Apple Genius I was working with when he told me there'd be a one week delay while they waited to receive my new iPhone. Until that time they would not take my current one with the swollen battery.

When I asked, he went into the back and spoke with their techs. That's when this whole protective sleeve thing was explained to me. As long as that sleeve is not punctured you're ok. Not that I want swollen batteries hanging around, but it's not an immediate danger as you seem to imply.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That was my concern the last time I had a swollen battery on my iPhone 5. I expressed that concern to the Apple Genius I was working with when he told me there'd be a one week delay while they waited to receive my new iPhone. Until that time they would not take my current one with the swollen battery.

When I asked, he went into the back and spoke with their techs. That's when this whole protective sleeve thing was explained to me. As long as that sleeve is not punctured you're ok. Not that I want swollen batteries hanging around, but it's not an immediate danger as you seem to imply.

Swollen batteries are more likely to break and cause significant risks. There’s a reason your stewardess will want to be alerted if you drop a phone into the seat’s mechanism, for example. Punctured batteries are nasty.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Okay so what are my options now?

Again i want to remove the battery in case of fire etc. I don't really care about getting a replacement battery since i have no use for this phone anymore. But i also don't want to throw out the phone.

Do I

Bring it to repair shop and have them remove battery for me and then give me back my phone? Or could I do this myself? Thing is it doesn't seem that easy to open with my hands since it isn't bloated that bad. So i probably could open it up with a scissor or something etc. Or is this waste of money for something I could probably do myself? Once battery is removed, then there is little to no risk of explosion?

Bring it to apple store? If i do this, that means they take the whole device and recycle it right? Thus i wouldn't have my iphone anymore?

Another Option?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So i probably could open it up with a scissor or something etc.
Take a long hard look at the base of the iPhone where the 30 pin connector fits. You may notice two tiny screws.

In order to get into the phone itself, you have to first start by removing those two screws. Now, I don't work inside iPhones because I'm not agile enough to work with parts that are that small, but I know you gain access by removing those screws.

And you want to go at this with scissors?

Honestly, take it to a repair shop. You're going to destroy your phone.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I would remove it myself carefully and if possible outside. If you are careful it can be done. For the cost of a replacement battery which is a few pounds I’d say it could be a fun project. You can used IPA on the battery tabs to help loosen them without prying.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Take a long hard look at the base of the iPhone where the 30 pin connector fits. You may notice two tiny screws.

In order to get into the phone itself, you have to first start by removing those two screws. Now, I don't work inside iPhones because I'm not agile enough to work with parts that are that small, but I know you gain access by removing those screws.

And you want to go at this with scissors?

Honestly, take it to a repair shop. You're going to destroy your phone.

So I can't just like try to pop out the back cover of the iphone with a tool... then just take out the battery and toss/recycle it out?

How much would it cost a repair shop to do something like this? Well this phone isn't worth much at all... i would feel silly paying twenty dollars for them to remove the bloated battery when the phone probably is worth just a bit more than that?

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
I would remove it myself carefully and if possible outside. If you are careful it can be done. For the cost of a replacement battery which is a few pounds I’d say it could be a fun project. You can used IPA on the battery tabs to help loosen them without prying.

I don't care about getting a replacement battery for it. I just want to remove the battery for now so no explosion could happen etc.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
The 4s is very easy to open up as long as you have a pentalobe screwdriver. It's just 2 screws by the charging port, then you slide the back cover up a bit and it pops off. Then 2 more screws holding the battery connector in place. Be careful though, in my old shop I accidentally tore the outer sleeve of a swollen battery sliding the back cover off and it ignited. The battery is also secured in there with an adhesive strip so you gotta be very gentle removing it too. Probably best to just take it to a shop, I doubt they'd charge much to just take it out. Worth calling around for some estimates at least.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
You will find all infos about opening it on ifixit.com or youtube. Without correct screwdriver not possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.