Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I went to an amusement park yesterday and my iPhone fell out of my pocket on an indoor roller coaster.

This was around 2PM yesterday and the phone had a decent battery charge, so it's still showing on "Find My". However, the odds of it being recovered seem slim, and I do need a phone immediately since it's my only phone.

I'm likely going to stop at the Apple Store in a few hours and just buy a new one, identical to the one that just got lost. However, will there be any problems transferring to the new one if I don't have the old one? I have Verizon as my carrier.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Are you going to be doing this as a Device Payment Plan or paying outright? Even if you do pay outright you can choose to have it activated on your verizon network, which they will set you up no problem.

As long as you have an icloud back up, you should be fine with transferring datas into your new iphone.

Have you considered talking to the worker at the amusement park? I remember my family went to Disney Land in CA long ago and I remember my dad putting his backpack below his feet. After the ride was over it was missing. However, we let them know about the missing backback and luckily they were able to go in there and find backback and bring it back to us.

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Good news--we found it at the park and I was able to pick it up. It's in bad shape so I'll be buying a new one tomorrow and hoping to get some money off with the old one.

I do have the backup and always pay outright.

Reactions: bevsb2

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Good news--we found it at the park and I was able to pick it up. It's in bad shape so I'll be buying a new one tomorrow and hoping to get some money off with the old one.

I do have the backup and always pay outright.
Depending on “how bad” shape it’s in, you might qualify for Out Of Warranty repair… it’s several hundred dollars but less than a brand new phone. Typically they just swap it out at that point. Assuming you’re planning on going with the same model, that will be cheaper than buying new. Of course if you want to upgrade, that’s a different matter.

Reactions: Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.