Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
- in my experience iOS10 has serious compatiibility problems with many current apps so not a realistic option for most people, but I agree it runs extremely well by itself.
Yeah, definitely. I was only speaking about performance and battery life. Compatibility is rather mediocre, I fully admit that.
- restoring doesn't ever force an update - I'm unsure what you mean with this? (Unless you are using a jailbreak I guess).
Yes, if you restore through iTunes the device will be updated. Erasing it through settings just erases the encryption key but it doesn’t reinstall the operating system.

Apple won’t allow a full restore without updating.

jerrysam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2023
Okay if it cost 79 plus tax now at the apple store to replace the old iphone se battery, no way I would do this. I also wouldn't even want to do this for 49 plus tax but that isn't that much.

Well I can put my US sim card from my iphone SE into my iphone mini 13 as well? So that way I have 2 sim cards in the iphone mini 13 so I can switch to any one of them whenever I want? Or I can't do that? I believe I heard a while back I can but the reason I didn't do this was because I didn't want a situation where it somehow sometimes make a mistake and use the other sim card? Or that doesn't ever happen? By that I mean when web browsing etc.

The reason I ask this is because my cheap sim card plan that is in my old iphone se, it only has a limited amount of minutes and data and text messages. Now the thing is I'm outside the US majority of the time. So if I were to somehow use data by mistake on the US sim card, assuming I have a balance in my account... it would use up by balance very fast due to roaming. So I would only use it on wifi to make call or text as I read with that carrier, you should never use data on it unless you have to. But if you don't have a balance in your account, then well it wouldn't work.

So based on that information, you would recommend me just keep that US sim card in my old iphone se right? I am outside the US most of the time and my iphone mini 13 uses a nonUS sim card and I could use it there and also in the US while roaming.

Also I mention again that this old iphone SE is basically what I use at home on wifi when youtube etc. I don't know why but I prefer it compare to the iphone mini 13 because the size is smaller.

Now the iphone mini 13 is my main phone when outside so whenever I use data and call or text, I will be using it almost always. The only time I really use my old iphone SE for call or text is if the iphone 13 mini ran out of battery or something like that. Also I want an extra phone in case something happens to my primary phone. So if say I lost my iphone mini 13, I would basically go buy a temporary non US sim card while outside the US and just put it in my old iphone SE. Does that make sense?

Now I am still getting like 50/50 votes on yes or no to upgrade from IOS 14 to IOS 15. Now whenever I youtube, many times youtube freezes or crashes and I have to restart it. I know this is common but my old iphone SE definitely feels a bit sluggish but useable most of the time. But upgrading to IOS 15, my concern was... is it possible it won't be usable at all. Because if so, then I would not do it. But some of you say it is good. But all of you agree the battery would be less when going to IOS 15 then? So do I upgrade to IOS 15 or not?

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Yeah, definitely. I was only speaking about performance and battery life. Compatibility is rather mediocre, I fully admit that.

Yes, if you restore through iTunes the device will be updated. Erasing it through settings just erases the encryption key but it doesn’t reinstall the operating system.

Apple won’t allow a full restore without updating.
Can you explain what you mean?
When Erase all content and settings is selected, everything is restored to factory and the phone is exactly as it was when new.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Can you explain what you mean?
When Erase all content and settings is selected, everything is restored to factory and the phone is exactly as it was when new.
Yes, but it doesn’t reinstall the operating system. Restoring through iTunes reinstalls the entire OS (and updates it, thanks to Apple’s policy).

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
I really don't understand the difference between Erase all content and settings, and 'reinstalling the operating system'.

Everything is completely identical to a new phone - no settings, data, apps, is kept. Nothing, Zero.

Why would you need anything deeper than this?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Well I can put my US sim card from my iphone SE into my iphone mini 13 as well? So that way I have 2 sim cards in the iphone mini 13 so I can switch to any one of them whenever I want? Or I can't do that? I believe I heard a while back I can but the reason I didn't do this was because I didn't want a situation where it somehow sometimes make a mistake and use the other sim card? Or that doesn't ever happen? By that I mean when web browsing etc.

The reason I ask this is because my cheap sim card plan that is in my old iphone se, it only has a limited amount of minutes and data and text messages. Now the thing is I'm outside the US majority of the time. So if I were to somehow use data by mistake on the US sim card, assuming I have a balance in my account... it would use up by balance very fast due to roaming. So I would only use it on wifi to make call or text as I read with that carrier, you should never use data on it unless you have to. But if you don't have a balance in your account, then well it wouldn't work.
No, it's not what I suggested. Your Mini can use 2 x esims and 1 x physical sim. So the best way would be to get your primary carrier to activate an esim for you (most offer it), then discard the physical sim. It likely won't be activated any longer as the esim has taken its place. That way your sim from the SE can go into the Mini's tray instead. Or actually the other way around , it doesn't really matter. In Settings you can easily deactivate data or calls on each line so as not to accidentally incur roaming charges. As I said before, at one stage I had 3 different phone numbers whilst overseas and it worked very well.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Okay if it cost 79 plus tax now at the apple store to replace the old iphone se battery, no way I would do this. I also wouldn't even want to do this for 49 plus tax but that isn't that much.
Fair enough. I'm in Europe and those prices included tax/ VAT, you could go to your local Apple site and see exactly what it would actually cost.

jerrysam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2023
Okay so I play to use each physical sim card in each phone as I always done it that way.

Now for my old iphone SE, do you recommend I update the IOS or not? I do not have any plans to buy a replacement battery. So based on that, yes or no? Again the old iphone SE is usable but it definitely is a bit sluggish but not the point where it is like it is impossible to use. I thought maybe upgrading IOS might make it better?

However, is it 100% the battery will be worst updating the IOS?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I really don't understand the difference between Erase all content and settings, and 'reinstalling the operating system'.

Everything is completely identical to a new phone - no settings, data, apps, is kept. Nothing, Zero.

Why would you need anything deeper than this?
“Erase all content and settings” deletes user data and restores settings to factory default, while leaving the underlying operating system untouched.

Restoring reinstalls the entire OS through iTunes (updated, obviously).

Erasing all content and settings doesn’t touch the OS, so you can erase an iPhone SE (1st-gen) running iOS 14 and it won’t be updated. If you restore it through iTunes, it will install iOS 15.7.5.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Okay so I play to use each physical sim card in each phone as I always done it that way.

Now for my old iphone SE, do you recommend I update the IOS or not? I do not have any plans to buy a replacement battery. So based on that, yes or no? Again the old iphone SE is usable but it definitely is a bit sluggish but not the point where it is like it is impossible to use. I thought maybe upgrading IOS might make it better?

However, is it 100% the battery will be worst updating the IOS?
I thought using your Mini exclusively (also for that US trip) would be a good solution. You would at this time not have to worry about the OS or battery on the SE, also wouldn't have to carry two phones. But yes, it doesn't sound like it will (for whatever reason) work for you.

I had already replied about staying on iOS 14 vs upgrading. I think the posts tally is 50-50 on this? Well, seeing as you're definately keeping that old battery, I advise to stay on iOS14 then. Yes, the battery life will be impacted with moving to 15.7.5. That was my experience to date.

jerrysam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2023
I use my iphone mini 13 everywhere, whether outside the US or in the US. Again, I'm not in the US that long. I can use my iphone mini 13 roaming in the US without any issue. So again, I only use my old iphone SE mainly at apartment on wifi to youtube whether this is outside the US or inside the US.

I rarely carry 2 phones around. But sometimes I do. The thing is again my iphone mini 13 mini is my main phone. The low battery on my iphone SE isn't a big issue at all because it isn't my main phone.

Yea it seem to be 50/50 on whether update the IOS or not on my old iphone SE. Now it seems if you plan to get a new battery, then more yes. But if I don't plan to get a new battery... I really don't... then is there anyone here that says go and upgrade to IOS 15 anyway? Or is that a bad idea? Yea you say the battery life will be impacted. But will it be less sluggish? Again the IOS 14 definitely is a bit sluggish but it is more than usable.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I use my iphone mini 13 everywhere, whether outside the US or in the US. Again, I'm not in the US that long. I can use my iphone mini 13 roaming in the US without any issue. So again, I only use my old iphone SE mainly at apartment on wifi to youtube whether this is outside the US or inside the US.

I rarely carry 2 phones around. But sometimes I do. The thing is again my iphone mini 13 mini is my main phone. The low battery on my iphone SE isn't a big issue at all because it isn't my main phone.

Yea it seem to be 50/50 on whether update the IOS or not on my old iphone SE. Now it seems if you plan to get a new battery, then more yes. But if I don't plan to get a new battery... I really don't... then is there anyone here that says go and upgrade to IOS 15 anyway? Or is that a bad idea? Yea you say the battery life will be impacted. But will it be less sluggish? Again the IOS 14 definitely is a bit sluggish but it is more than usable.
Performance and battery life will both worsen, and you don’t seem to have a reason to update, not when you use the phone for YouTube. You’d gain nothing by updating with your use-case.

jerrysam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2023
Why would the performance worsen though? Is it because the older the phone, the less good it is with the new IOS? Thought new update would always be better for any phone.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Why would the performance worsen though? Is it because the older the phone, the less good it is with the new IOS? Thought new update would always be better for any phone.

Because the newer software was designed for much newer hardware, more energy efficient and larger devices etc.

geta

macrumors 65832
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Read posts #7 & #19… :)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Now I am still getting like 50/50 votes on yes or no to upgrade from IOS 14 to IOS 15. Now whenever I youtube, many times youtube freezes or crashes and I have to restart it. I know this is common but my old iphone SE definitely feels a bit sluggish but useable most of the time. But upgrading to IOS 15, my concern was... is it possible it won't be usable at all. Because if so, then I would not do it. But some of you say it is good. But all of you agree the battery would be less when going to IOS 15 then? So do I upgrade to IOS 15 or not?

I used a new SE for 9 months as a daily driver from April 2022 until Jan 2023 and then as a Netflix, Disney+ and Prime player until April 2023. I always kept it up to date on the latest version of iOS 15 and it never let me down. I saw no bugs or glitches and it ran like a dream. It definitely was not slow or sluggish but obviously not as quick as my new iPhone 13. I had to get the battery replaced as my SE was manufactured on June 2016 and, although was unused, the battery was not showing the correct readings in April 2022. I ended up replacing it with a OEM battery from Apple for $49 and it posted some very usable screen on time which I have discussed on this forum previously.

IMG_0649.jpeg

The little phone is back in its box now and in my cupboard for storage as I now use my iPhone 13 for everything as the battery life is very impressive and does last a whole day.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I used a new SE for 9 months as a daily driver from April 2022 until Jan 2023 and then as a Netflix, Disney+ and Prime player until April 2023. I always kept it up to date on the latest version of iOS 15 and it never let me down. I saw no bugs or glitches and it ran like a dream. It definitely was not slow or sluggish but obviously not as quick as my new iPhone 13. I had to get the battery replaced as my SE was manufactured on June 2016 and, although was unused, the battery was not showing the correct readings in April 2022. I ended up replacing it with a OEM battery from Apple for $49 and it posted some very usable screen on time which I have discussed on this forum previously.

The little phone is back in its box now and in my cupboard for storage as I now use my iPhone 13 for everything as the battery life is very impressive and does last a whole day.
I got my SE in 2016, had the battery replaced by Apple a year ago and still have the box (well, keep them all). So whilst I agree it was an awesome phone for over six years, the 13 Mini I bought start of this year is just so much more of an enjoyable experience in every single way. So the SE is now an emergency phone for wifi remote for other devices.

Reactions: ndouglas

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Your Mini can use 2 x esims and 1 x physical sim. So the best way would be to get your primary carrier to activate an esim
I'd actually recommend the opposite: Keep the primary line as the physical SIM. When travelling abroad recently, Thailand and other countries, I found that they now have prepaid eSIM offers everywhere and activating them and adding cash was flawlessly automated to the point where I am wondering why everything eSIM is so much more tedious here.

Using prepaid plans abroad is perfect for the eSIM, since you no longer have to fumble around with switching SIM cards at all. It's literally scanning a QR code and there are sometimes even ATM machines where you can transfer money onto the eSIM and it just works.

Keeping your primary line on a physical SIM has the benefit that in unforeseen circumstances like the phone breaking down, you can just switch the SIM to a new phone or replacement phone without having to contact the carrier. Some carries make it easy with a self-service eSIM provisioning portal, but that is unfortunately still rather uncommon. I honestly don't understand why it's not normal by now to be able to re-provision an eSIM 24/7 without any human interaction.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I got my SE in 2016, had the battery replaced by Apple a year ago and still have the box (well, keep them all). So whilst I agree it was an awesome phone for over six years, the 13 Mini I bought start of this year is just so much more of an enjoyable experience in every single way. So the SE is now an emergency phone for wifi remote for other devices.
I actually downgraded from the 12 Mini to the SE’16. While I agree that the newer phones do provide a substantial quality of life improvement, the SE is still a very capable phone even in 2023 and is able to do almost anything newer phones can do. I just think it is great that technology from 2016 can still be completely viable 7 years later.

The 13 I use is an incredible device but I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss the SE’s size and form factor.

I did use the SE as a full on and proper smart phone as well, rather than a limited secondary device.

I used it as:

- A telephone
- Streaming shows on Disney+, Netflix, Prime, YouTube, iPlayer etc…
- Web-browsing
- Apple Music (w/Bluetooth speakers)
- Podcasts (w/Bluetooth speakers)
- Apple Wallet (NFC Chip)
- Online shopping on Amazon App
- Photographs (albeit poor by today’s standards)
- GPS Maps
- WhatsApp
- Basic games like Among Us
- Emails
- Online Banking

As you’ll know, it’s a very capable device and can do pretty much anything a £1200 iPhone 14 Pro can do, it’ll just do it a little slower, lol. The screen, although small, is surprisingly great even against modern phones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.