Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
A little off topic but I’m curious if anyone else would rather have more easily replaceable batteries and pay for OS upgrades instead (fully acknowledge this is a very hypothetical trade off)? I started OS X in 2007 and for a while I remember buying a physical dvd to upgrade before the App Store came along. It was only maybe 20 or 50 dollars? I can’t remember. I’d honestly rather purchase that upgrade and have a more eco friendly device anyday. I do agree with the sentiment of the quote tweet. Either you pay for the product or you are the product. I mean with Apple’s profit, I don’t see why we couldn’t have free upgrades AND more eco friendly devices. But they are a company that is out to make a profit.

Boy do I sometimes miss the old days when you could pop a battery out of your phone and just insert a new one.
Your statement implies that Macs used to have more than a decade of software support.

Do 2006 Macs stop receiving support after 2017 or later?

Is this true?

To me physical media has a larger carbon footprint print due to physical logistics.

Apples profitability is not solely from the Mac so should they provide money-losing support?

Did any iPhone ever have replaceable batteries?

Were old feature phones water resistant?

Last edited:

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Ok, where is the best place to buy a replacement battery for the iphone 5s and 3gs?

I would like to be able to revive them, so I can heck and get any older leftover content of mine off them.
Can’t your power them through the old USB cable so you can boot up and make a backup? This can be done with a worn put battery

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I tried connecting the iphone 5s via usb and lightening cable to my mac, but nothing.

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
Your statement implies that Macs used to have more than a decade of software support.

Do 2006 Macs stop receiving support after 2017 or later?

Is this true?

To me physical media has a larger carbon footprint print due to physical logistics.

Apples profitability is not solely from the Mac so should they provide money-losing support?

Did any iPhone ever have replaceable batteries?

Were old feature phones water resistant?
The way you read my statement might have implied that but no implication was meant. The 2007 iMac I bought I still had as of 2013, (and sold to someone else whose daughter was going to use it I believe). I’ve typically received 6 years of software support out of hardware. I’d have to check the actual stats to see what the average official supported supported life of products are, but anecdotally it’s lengthy. My outlook is to resist endless consumption, repurpose a device once it needs to be replaced, and harvest the raw materials as available once it no longer works. The same logic is why Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is in that order.

I would agree almost unequivocally that at the scale humans interact with the world, physical objects have a larger carbon footprint than digital counterparts. I don’t believe that I implied to the contrary anywhere either.

I didn’t mean purchasing a physical disk to upgrade the device, I meant purchasing the software in whatever form it is delivered. I believe it was Lion or Mountain Lion that still had to be purchased but on the App Store? I’ve forgotten the OS X naming scheme already.

My point was that I would rather pay their software team money instead of getting their product “for free” (though many argue that free is built into the cost of Apple products) if it meant they would take less of a margin in hardware by incorporating more eco-friendly features like interchangeable and user-replaceable batteries, more repairability and even upgradability of devices. Which isn’t to say that they don’t already lead in many areas on Eco-impact, it’s just that nobody is doing enough fast enough to address the issues of runaway consumer capitalism on our planet.

I’m not sure I understand your comment about profitability and support, but 1, Apple’s support and replacement fees are often rather high for out of warranty customers, 2, they make money from AppleCare (though I’m unsure if it covers the expenses) and 3, part of their name brand is based on the Genius Bar and support, which directly underlies their net worth and balance sheet as goodwill and other intangibles. They’re in no way obligated to do it (except where bound by law) but their name brand reaps the rewards for doing it.

No, no iPhones had replaceable batteries, the original one was a beast to tear into, though I felt 4-7 were very easily workable at the consumer’s end with the right patience and help. Still isn’t as good as being able to press and button and unclip a battery that only holds 30% of its charge to replace it with a new one. What I said above about the 4-7 relies a lot on the patience and understanding of tech, which I will admit a lot of consumers do not have.

As for old feature phones being water resistant, I think the Nokia I had before I got my iPhone either was able to be used in water or had a case that allowed that (though basically you were only talking or texting on it). You’re right to point out that the integratedness of the battery to the phone allows for much more water resistance, but I don’t think it precludes other options.

But again, all of this was just a hypothetical trade off.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
The way you read my statement might have implied that but no implication was meant. The 2007 iMac I bought I still had as of 2013, (and sold to someone else whose daughter was going to use it I believe). I’ve typically received 6 years of software support out of hardware. I’d have to check the actual stats to see what the average official supported supported life of products are, but anecdotally it’s lengthy. My outlook is to resist endless consumption, repurpose a device once it needs to be replaced, and harvest the raw materials as available once it no longer works. The same logic is why Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is in that order.

I would agree almost unequivocally that at the scale humans interact with the world, physical objects have a larger carbon footprint than digital counterparts. I don’t believe that I implied to the contrary anywhere either.

I didn’t mean purchasing a physical disk to upgrade the device, I meant purchasing the software in whatever form it is delivered. I believe it was Lion or Mountain Lion that still had to be purchased but on the App Store? I’ve forgotten the OS X naming scheme already.

My point was that I would rather pay their software team money instead of getting their product “for free” (though many argue that free is built into the cost of Apple products) if it meant they would take less of a margin in hardware by incorporating more eco-friendly features like interchangeable and user-replaceable batteries, more repairability and even upgradability of devices. Which isn’t to say that they don’t already lead in many areas on Eco-impact, it’s just that nobody is doing enough fast enough to address the issues of runaway consumer capitalism on our planet.

I’m not sure I understand your comment about profitability and support, but 1, Apple’s support and replacement fees are often rather high for out of warranty customers, 2, they make money from AppleCare (though I’m unsure if it covers the expenses) and 3, part of their name brand is based on the Genius Bar and support, which directly underlies their net worth and balance sheet as goodwill and other intangibles. They’re in no way obligated to do it (except where bound by law) but their name brand reaps the rewards for doing it.

No, no iPhones had replaceable batteries, the original one was a beast to tear into, though I felt 4-7 were very easily workable at the consumer’s end with the right patience and help. Still isn’t as good as being able to press and button and unclip a battery that only holds 30% of its charge to replace it with a new one. What I said above about the 4-7 relies a lot on the patience and understanding of tech, which I will admit a lot of consumers do not have.

As for old feature phones being water resistant, I think the Nokia I had before I got my iPhone either was able to be used in water or had a case that allowed that (though basically you were only talking or texting on it). You’re right to point out that the integratedness of the battery to the phone allows for much more water resistance, but I don’t think it precludes other options.

But again, all of this was just a hypothetical trade off.

Your 2007 iMac received its last software update on July 9, 2018; 3 years ago. So indeed it went beyond a decade.

From my point of view I'd have sold that iMac as early as June 5, 2017 or as late as March 19, 2019 and not 2013 to delay "endless consumption" assuming the use case was left unchanged from 2007.

When you made the statement of Apple's profitability you are looking at it from all products & services as a whole. Apple makes the decision based on each business unit's profitability. Hence their abandoning Apple Aperture

Like say if the Mac unit makes a 10% net profit then the added support you desire will be funded from that business transaction and not from iPhone, App Store, iCloud, Apple TV+, etc.

To my understanding Macs do not sell all that well by comparison even when considering the price premium being charged. Most of the profit you see are had elsewhere.

Going back to "endless consumption" and eWaste... sometimes the issue here arent the companies but the end users.

Since Windows 95 Microsoft provides 120 or or more months of software support for Widows. I know, because I checked and yet PC users feel the need to upgrade 5-6 years which is better than the 2-3 years pre-iPhone.

Again, another example of consumers making the decision to perform "endless consumption" and eWaste...

If you want to see people skewing this trend one only needs to visit.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.