Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Given how poisoned by LLM content farms search has become, does anyone happen to know which version of iTunes was the last version to let you back up an iOS device, and would actually copy the .ipa files to the Mac as a part of the backup?

I have the control app for a piece of hardware, the company appears to have gone out of business, and the app is no longer on the Appstore - doesn't even show up in my "purchased" section.

I figure I can set up a VM instance of an old macOS version, install the old iTunes, and run a backup of the iPhone to get the .ipa file, and see if it'll work on the newer devices.

Reactions: rmadsen3

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
My guess is to start with 12.6.5.3, since that was the last version to have App Store support... Depending on the iPhone, I'd probably even try to just find the iTunes version that was out at the time it was released.

This page seems to have direct links to Apple's downloads all the way back to 7.3: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/ITunes

I wouldn't expect an old unsupported app to still work on a new phone (as I learned with some old games) but I guess it doesn't hurt to try

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
Given how poisoned by LLM content farms search has become, does anyone happen to know which version of iTunes was the last version to let you back up an iOS device, and would actually copy the .ipa files to the Mac as a part of the backup?

I have the control app for a piece of hardware, the company appears to have gone out of business, and the app is no longer on the Appstore - doesn't even show up in my "purchased" section.

I figure I can set up a VM instance of an old macOS version, install the old iTunes, and run a backup of the iPhone to get the .ipa file, and see if it'll work on the newer devices.

Apple killed Mac-based iOS management with 12.7 so you need a version before that. On Apple's new documentaiton site, the last Mac-based iTunes version they offer less than 12.7 is 12.6.2:

How well that will work for this purpose and the work required to make work on a new MacOS and/or install an old version of MacOS in a VM I can't say.

Another option is to check out iMazing. I believe it can backup and restore IPA files and avoids potential incompatability issues between old iTunes and new macOS. It costs a few $ but I've found their support very helpful in the past.

Reactions: Dylan33x

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
My guess is to start with 12.6.5.3, since that was the last version to have App Store support... Depending on the iPhone, I'd probably even try to just find the iTunes version that was out at the time it was released.

This page seems to have direct links to Apple's downloads all the way back to 7.3: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/ITunes

I wouldn't expect an old unsupported app to still work on a new phone (as I learned with some old games) but I guess it doesn't hurt to try

Interesting, in theory the 12.6.5.3 version available using the links from TheiPhoneWiki to .dmg files available on Apple's servers would be ideal as you note. However, I found that the 12.6.3-12.6.5 installers linked from that site complained of expired certificates and then refused to install even on a Catalina system. The 12.6.2 installer linked from that site also complained of an expired certificate but at least offered to install on that Catalina system.

However, the 12.6.2 available from Apple's new documentation site not only offered to install on that Catalina system but didn't complain about an expired certificate. So the original poster may have better luck with that. Though why Apple chose to make that version and not the newer ones avaialble for download on the new site is a mystery.

But back to the original question: I am also curious if this whole endeavor will bear fruit and if the original poster be able to save this app. Will be interesting to hear either way. If it was a 32-bit app, of course no way to run on anything iOS 11 or newer. But if his iPhone is already running something newer than iOS 11 then his app must be 64-bit and then there's a reasonable chance...

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
You can't on iOS 9 and newer.
Why did Apple kill App extraction in iOS 9? https://imazing.com/blog/why-did-apple-kill-app-extraction-in-ios-9

I am curious where does my phone (iOS 12+) get old versions of apps when I restore it from (iTunes) backup? There are apps I've intentionally not updated and they were restored to the old version after a complete backup/erase/restore cycle with iTunes (V.12.x). Does Apple's app store allow downloading old versions of apps by the restore process when they were the last version installed?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I am curious where does my phone (iOS 12+) get old versions of apps when I restore it from (iTunes) backup? There are apps I've intentionally not updated and they were restored to the old version after a complete backup/erase/restore cycle with iTunes (V.12.x). Does Apple's app store allow downloading old versions of apps by the restore process when they were the last version installed?
It sounds like you must have the old version of the app downloaded to your computer and in the Apps library. If so, back up these .ipa files while you can. Without these, the restore would download the latest version from the App Store.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

Some apps they restore from the version that has the last download receipt attached to it. Apple does keep oler versions of apps in the system if the developers haven't manually removed them. For example, when I had to delete and reinstall Tweetbot 5, which was no longer available and replaced by the subscription-priced Tweetbot 6, Apple's phone support folks were able to re-activate the download access to Tweetbot 4, which I could then upgrade to 5.

The problem I have is I think the developer has gone bust and pulled all their apps, but I will give Apple a call and see if there's anything they can do.

Reactions: Dylan33x

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
GOOD NEWS! See my backstory here on me getting a new iphone and getting a older app that is NO LONGER in the app store work work on the latest iphone/firmware.

I now have the app working on my 15 pro on ios 17.4! Backstory. I found the original IPA file for the program and first tried to email it to myself. Gmail won't allow you attach an .ipa file! So crazy. They must have some deal with apple here, but I've never seen something like this happen. I tried to even rename the file as .jpg and gmail still won't let you email it as an attachment. I did save it on a memory card just to have a backup. The version of the app from my old backup was an older version of the app than on my new phone that had the cloud icon next to it, (1.91, vs 1.94) and I first tried to copy the old file onto the new phone (since the app on the new phone had the cloud icon on it, that means it tries to DL the app from apple, but it can't since the app is no longer on the app store) After dragging the older ipa version of the app onto the new phone with imazing, I could see both listed, 1.91 and 1.94. When I tried to click "install" for the older file with Imazing, I kept getting this error "the code signature version is no longer supported" Yea, I was pissed when I saw this! I don't know what that means.
Next for the hell of it, I clicked on the 1.94 version (remember it shows this because it's on the home screen on the new phone, but has that cloud icon next it). I right clicked and hit "install" and instantly the cloud goes away! I'm thinking, hmm, how the heck what this so easy? and no way it's going to work when I click it. I click the app on the phone and it opens!!!! It's working! I don't know how or why but this fixed it. After many days and nights trying everything and posting about this everywhere, contacting the app developer, etc. Imazing fixed it!

Reactions: bzgnyc2

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
GOOD NEWS! See my backstory here on me getting a new iphone and getting a older app that is NO LONGER in the app store work work on the latest iphone/firmware.

I now have the app working on my 15 pro on ios 17.4! Backstory. I found the original IPA file for the program and first tried to email it to myself. Gmail won't allow you attach an .ipa file! So crazy. They must have some deal with apple here, but I've never seen something like this happen. I tried to even rename the file as .jpg and gmail still won't let you email it as an attachment. I did save it on a memory card just to have a backup. The version of the app from my old backup was an older version of the app than on my new phone that had the cloud icon next to it, (1.91, vs 1.94) and I first tried to copy the old file onto the new phone (since the app on the new phone had the cloud icon on it, that means it tries to DL the app from apple, but it can't since the app is no longer on the app store) After dragging the older ipa version of the app onto the new phone with imazing, I could see both listed, 1.91 and 1.94. When I tried to click "install" for the older file with Imazing, I kept getting this error "the code signature version is no longer supported" Yea, I was pissed when I saw this! I don't know what that means.
Next for the hell of it, I clicked on the 1.94 version (remember it shows this because it's on the home screen on the new phone, but has that cloud icon next it). I right clicked and hit "install" and instantly the cloud goes away! I'm thinking, hmm, how the heck what this so easy? and no way it's going to work when I click it. I click the app on the phone and it opens!!!! It's working! I don't know how or why but this fixed it. After many days and nights trying everything and posting about this everywhere, contacting the app developer, etc. Imazing fixed it!
It's always good when people share not only their problems but their final resolution. Glad to hear it all worked out even if a bit messy and confusing, and hopefully this thread will serve as a resource to others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.