Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I purchased this with my first Mac a long time ago. Wanted to use it a lot but never really did :( Anyway, I still have it, the keys are a now yellowed from light and age... but now I cant seem to get this to work with GarageBand. Is this not supported anymore (MacBook Pro 15") Or will this still be supported when I upgrade to an M1 Mac. If not then I will sell or give/throw away.

Thanks!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Just open the System Preference Keyboard, Input tab and put a checkmark in bottom box "Show input menu bar"! Then in top menu bar click to 'Show Keyboard Viewer' to see what keys you are pressing!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The 61es is not an alpha-numeric keyboard, it is a music keyboard (actually a MIDI controller).
Looks like this:
M-Audio Keystation 61es USB MIDI Keyboard Controller

I don't think the Show Keyboard Viewer will do anything with a MIDI controller.

@ajo: plug in that M-Audio keyboard, then, on your Mac, open the Applications folder, then the Utilities folder.
Open the Audio MIDI Setup app
Is your 61es listed there as a device?

Launch GarageBand. Does your M-Audio keyboard show up in GarageBand Preferences, Audio/MIDI -- is your M-Audio 61es listed under "Input device" or "Output device"?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Connected directly to the Mac via USB?

If the system doesn't see it at all (System Information app) under Hardware>USB then you should perhaps try another USB cable.
I think I also had a problem with M-AUDIO small keyboard few years ago, it may be no longer supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.