Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcbain942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
error log always comes up NVIDA related.

(it has been upgraded)

bust as of now its a

"24 inch Early 2009" computer
intel core 2 duo 3.06
8gb RAM DDR3 (1067)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512 MB (if you research this model its like they abandoned it, no updates, no questions its like they didnt make allot)

Display its built in (1920x 1200)

I have done all the diagnostics, hard drive diag, and check

everything is obviously pointing video

I am not a mac user =O

all i want to do is the equivalent of using some sort of lower graphics settings. (if possible)

i can go down to 32 bit graphics, i would like it to treat the video card as if i was a laptop that didnt want to draw so much
error log always comes up NVIDA related.

(it has been upgraded)

bust as of now its a

"24 inch Early 2009" computer
intel core 2 duo 3.06
8gb RAM DDR3 (1067)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512 MB (if you research this model its like they abandoned it, no updates, no questions its like they didnt make allot)

Display its built in (1920x 1200)

I have done all the diagnostics, hard drive diag, and check

everything is obviously pointing video

I am not a mac user =O

all i want to do is the equivalent of using some sort of lower graphics settings. (if possible)

i can go down to 32 bit graphics, i would like it to treat the video card as if i was a laptop that didnt want to draw so much

<reference>
@Psyclism
macrumors member

Jan 17, 2020
Policar said:
Thanks, but I don't know how to open this. (Don't know Swift or how to compile it.)

Is there a command that outright disables the discreet GPU?
Yes. Open up terminal and simply type sudo pmset -b gpuswitch 0, type in your password and hit enter.

From that point forward, anytime you're on battery the dGPU will be disabled. Even plugging in an external monitor while on battery won't enable the dGPU, but that also means that the monitor won't work either.

If you want to re-enable the dGPU on battery, simply enter sudo pmset -b gpuswitch 2, which turns auto-select back on.
</reference>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.