Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stingray77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2024
Greeting all.

Just pulled one of our really old Mac Pros out of the back room in a clean up, specs are below. It all seem to work having be off for years. Quick question, by means of any bootable hacks etc, is there a more recent OS it can be forced into? It’s currently in 10.7.5 Lion it appears.

Any info welcome.

Serial Number:
CK74305U08S

Model:
Mac Pro (CTO) V2

Build Country:
This unit was built in Cork, Ireland.

Build Year:
This unit was built in 2007.

Build Week:
This unit was built in week 43 of that year (October).

Production Nr.:
This unit was number 198 to be built that week.

Kind regards.

Attachments

• IMG_5799.jpeg
    IMG_5799.jpeg
    661.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39

Stingray77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2024
It would have to be a hack, as 10.7.5 is the max that it can normally take.
Yes, probably along the line of the DosDude Catalina Boot, but Catalina is certainly too far for this. Yosemite perhaps, if a hack even exists.

I’m sure someone will be along with some sorcery!

MacsolverUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2020
Hate to say this, but if you wish to run current and secure email clients and web browsers, Windows 10 is your best bet. See here:

Blutooth & sound will likely not work, but USB adapters are the simple solution.

I usually use the Windows media creation tool on a PC to create a DVD installer (legacy install) for "Another PC". Do not use a USB installer as it will likely fill up the Mac Pro boot ROM with security certificates and the Mac will not boot again into any OS. You may need to use an older Windows 10 ISO to make the DVD as the current W10 ISO is too big for a single sided DVD disk.

Reactions: Stingray77

Stingray77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2024
Hate to say this, but if you wish to run current and secure email clients and web browsers, Windows 10 is your best bet. See here:

Blutooth & sound will likely not work, but USB adapters are the simple solution.

I usually use the Windows media creation tool on a PC to create a DVD installer (legacy install) for "Another PC". Do not use a USB installer as it will likely fill up the Mac Pro boot ROM with security certificates and the Mac will not boot again into any OS. You may need to use an older Windows 10 ISO to make the DVD as the current W10 ISO is too big for a single sided DVD disk.

We ended up putting OS El Capitan on that one, via the 'Pikers Boot' hack, works absolutely fine, and have photo archives kept on it now. We are currently replacing our newer 'cheesegrater' 5.1 and 6.1 Pros with Mac Studios. 👍

Last edited:

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
My first thoughts, having used a 2008 mac pro as my main machine for a decade:

I stayed on 10.7.5 for many years before I got into newer OS and hardware, and I had no problems with that. Everything worked, Adobe stuff, DAWs, some apps I needed to not upgrade, but they still worked. I think Lion is fine. I also had a partition with OSX 10.6.8 that I used specifically to use older audio hardware and software. So, my advise would be to try running it with Lion and see how many, if any, hoops you have to jump thru to make it work, before you get into the OCLP hack thing.

The best thing I did for my old MP was to buy a Sonnet PCIe adapter card for SSDs. Very inexpensive, and the SSDs can be cheap also. This gets you at least 5x the speed of your old HDs, and really breaths new life into the mac. Boot-up, app launch, everything becomes more snappy.

Next best thing I did was to install more ram. The effect you get from this depends on what you use the MP for, but the old RAM chips that fit on this mac should be very cheap by now.

I would try this route first, and later you can make another partition and try out a hack with a more recent version of macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.