Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I jus notice the change of mac...it was like ...gRR..Can anyone tell me do it worth for me to change it to new mac book? Since i need to pay 10% refurbish fees and shipping fees as well is around 130 dollars..The processor change is 2.0 to 2.1 and hard disk 80 to 120gb...Any coment are welcome..Thanks..

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Depending on how old your current MB is you may be better off just buying a new hard drive for your current one - I doubt you'd notice any performance difference between 2.0 and 2.1 ghz

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
I agree. I got my MacBook back in December knowing that early this year they were gonna release a new rev, but the revision is so miniscule that I don't mind. 2.2 GHz is awesome. Better than my 600 MHz that preceded it.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
i have an original 2ghz cd and i STILL dont see enough of an improvement to justify upgrading

I'm in the same boat with my 1.83GHz Core Duo. Sure, the new X3100 is twice as fast, but I don't think it can handle 1080p video yet and I don't game on my MacBook, so that the speed increase isn't a huge deal to me. I barely use all 1GB of my RAM, so my current 2GB cap is not restricting. And I seldom max out both cores, so I don't need more clocks.

I will upgrade when this system dies, or when I see a significant performance increase, or necessity. So... 1.8GHz Tri or Quad Cores, or perhaps, 2.4-2.5GHz in the lowend macbook... that will make me think about upgrading, but as it is now, my machine is still more than enough for me.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I'm in the same boat with my 1.83GHz Core Duo. Sure, the new X3100 is twice as fast, but I don't think it can handle 1080p video yet and I don't game on my MacBook, so that the speed increase isn't a huge deal to me.

Despite what a couple of benchmarks by a couple of websites say, everyone else (Websites and users alike) put the X3100 on the same exact level as the GMA 950. Worse in many situations.

Plus the X3100 has no new video features worth mentioning. OS X does not take advantage of them anyway.

You're better off with the GMA 950 if stability and reliability is more important. Not only is the X3100 a poor performer in real world, but the drivers are terrible. I'll take my 3GB "limited" pre-SR C2D MacBook at 2.16GHz over the current ones with the X3100 based on that alone.

mc8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
:confused:
Depending on how old your current MB is you may be better off just buying a new hard drive for your current one - I doubt you'd notice any performance difference between 2.0 and 2.1 ghz

I just get it few days before the new 1 came out..Its a dual core 2...every thing same...just 2.0 change to 2.1..........Anyone can calculate how much 0.1 ghz...LOL? and upgrade 40gb ?:confused:

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
If you're going from a 2.0 to 2..1, I would pass. The new Penryn machines are not much faster than the last generation ones. I would put my money into a bigger hard drive and maxing the memory before looking at buying a new machine.

If you are going from a Core Duo to this new one then that is something to consider. But if you are in the Core 2 Duo family, I would pass, unless you need a machine that can take more memory.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If you want the latest/greatest you're probably better off waiting until the supposed "June" update to

x4500 graphics (1080 HD support?)
up to 8 Gigs RAM
1066 Hz Bus...

and whatever else....

That's a really considerable upgrade from what you have...

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
:confused:

I just get it few days before the new 1 came out..Its a dual core 2...every thing same...just 2.0 change to 2.1..........Anyone can calculate how much 0.1 ghz...LOL? and upgrade 40gb ?:confused:

If you bought it a few days before the update then you should be able to swap it under the 14 day rule. Check with the place you bought it from, or ask Apple if you purchased from them directly.

If it's a free upgrade the 40gb will come in handy. The 0.1 ghz is a non-issue though I wouldn't bother at all just for that.

scotty56

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Oregon
I bought my 2.2 macbook a couple weeks ago, plenty of speed for me. This being my first mac I became upset when only one week after my months of saving for this purchase..BOOM new model.

BUT..My friend just got a 2.4 macbook yesterday and we were doing some side by side comparisons. We couldn't find any differences other than maybe a second or two opening apps (highly scientific tests mind you ;). And this is with an increase of .2, you'll be getting just .1 Ghz

Anyway, be happy with what you got. After reading these forums for the last few months I've realized that my machine will do more that I will ever need. Just my two cents.

mc8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
If you bought it a few days before the update then you should be able to swap it under the 14 day rule. Check with the place you bought it from, or ask Apple if you purchased from them directly.

If it's a free upgrade the 40gb will come in handy. The 0.1 ghz is a non-issue though I wouldn't bother at all just for that.

I dont think they will give u a free swap...They told me need to pay 10% restocking fees because i open the laptop already..Plus i need pay shipping fees as i order online..plus minus i need pay 130 dollars...Haiz...

si2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
+sse4+45nm...i just noticed that my screen is not glossy though(2.4):confused: it doesn't look glossy at all. my cheap lg 19" looks way better next to it. i thought i bought gloss screen?

si2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
it must just be a differently manufactured screen than i am used to on the macbook. my 2.2 had a spray laquer like finish, runs and all. in the light this one is not like that:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.