Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I have an old Intel Mac (not sure about the model year). The power connector (MagSafe) seems to be defunct. I have tried connecting new MagSafe power but its not charging or turning on.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and how to go about fixing the issue?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Either find a "new-old-stock" power adapter (Apple may still sell them)
or
Look for a used one.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have an old Intel Mac (not sure about the model year). The power connector (MagSafe) seems to be defunct. I have tried connecting new MagSafe power but its not charging or turning on.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and how to go about fixing the issue?
MagSafe or MagSafe 2? Either way, if it's MagSafe 2, try Apple, if not, look online for a used one.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Sometime i had there just sticking some small metall parts. the magnet inside hold the debris and preventing the pins to connect

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I should’ve been more specific. The problem is with the with the connecter that’s on the MacBook. I’m not sure what it’s called or how to refer to it.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Sometime i had there just sticking some small metall parts. the magnet inside hold the debris and preventing the pins to connect

I should’ve been more specific. The problem is with the with the connecter that’s on the MacBook. I’m not sure what it’s called or how to refer to it.

what maerz said,

look closely at the port on the MacBook, the indent that runs around the connection points has magnets in it.
One time, there were some small metal filings on table that I didn't notice when I set my MacBook down, and one got sucked up to the connector, it nestled into that little grove, and prevented it from charging. It was really hard to see, took me a bit to figure out what it was. Get a flashlight and look closely. Or you can get a tooth pick or q-tip and run it around the outside of the connector on the Mac.

also make sure the pins on the cable are "bouncy" occasionally I've had a spring stick, and the pin didn't pop back up, pushing on it freed it up.

if there's nothing there, you can try resetting the SMC (system management controller) it handles the background power management. Or possibly also the PRAM or NVRAM

Reactions: maerz001

sdtoronto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Here's the picture of the power port.

Attachments

• oldmbppowerport.jpg
    oldmbppowerport.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 42

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Here's the picture of the power port.
Does the light come on the charger at all? As someone noted above, there is paint covering one of the pins. Get that uncovered and clean up the port with 99% isopropyl alcohol on the end of a q tip. Also try an NVRAM and SMC reset. if that's a no go, then there's likely an issue with the port. Any decent repair shop should be able to take care of that for you.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
yes. Clean first. But it also looks like the case is bend a bit and the plastic inside the port looks a bit molten, no? Hard to see.

And its a 1st gen MagSafe if you need a new power brick.

But i would not invest much in hardware that old

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Looking at the pic, that connection port is a mess.
Clean it out thoroughly, and try again.

If that doesn't work, aren't these ports actually "replaceable" (with a new "DC in board", or something like that?).

Check ifixit.com.
But you need to know WHAT YEAR the MBP is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.