Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
I just inherited an old iMac (probably from around 2010-2011. Someone installed Linux on it. Not in a partition - on the whole HD.
I'd like to see what happens if I install a Mac OS (I'm guessing that maybe El Cap may be compatible with the hardware). This could be a wasted effort. It's very possible that I won't be able to find an OS new enough to handle the modern day internet but I thought I'd try.
Does anyone know where I can pick up a USB with a bootable Mac OS that could work with this thing.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
That vintage of iMac should be good through High Sierra, 10.13-ish? Might be a fun hobby project, if things come together. But I couldn't recommend using High Sierra on a network for anything that processes finance or identity; Apple has had some pretty significant vulnerabilities over the years since then. You might find it's a far better Desktop Linux box, than if can be again for Mac OS.

X Cruz 187

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
You can set up a Genius Bar appt. & they can load any OS on it. I recently brought in a 15 in. MacBook Pro and had Mountain Lion installed on it to use to store media music photos etc. not doing anything online.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You didn't tell us whether or not you already are a Mac owner/user right now.

If you are, tell us which Mac you have and what OS is currently running on it.
That will make it much easier to advise you.

If you ARE NOT currently a Mac user, here's something to try.
I'd suggest (if you have the iMac near) that you try it RIGHT NOW.
1. We must start with the Mac being powered completely off. You should be connected to ethernet, so the iMac has an internet connection.
2. Press and hold the following key combination:
Command-OPTION-R
(note, if it's a PC or non-Mac keyboard, try the "windows key"+alt key+R"
3. KEEP HOLDING THESE KEYS DOWN
4. Reach around and press the power on button, but KEEP HOLDING THOSE KEYS DOWN.
5. If you are connected via wifi, you may be asked for a wifi password. NOW you can take the fingers off the keyboard and enter it.
6. You should see a "spinning globe" icon on the display -- let go of the keyboard. This indicates the Mac is booting to internet recovery.
7. If it's a successful boot to internet recovery, you'll see the "internet utilities" screen appear.

DO YOU GET THIS FAR?

BE AWARE that "internet recovery" only works on SOME 2010 Macs. It should work on 2011 Macs.

If it does, come back and tell us. We'll tell you what to do next.

Last edited:

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
You should be able to install high sierra on it, and then using OCLP be able to upgrade to at least macOS Monterey, if not Sonoma without too much difficulty. I have macOS Sonoma on my late 2010 iMac, and have macOS monterey on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro and considering taking that to Sonoma if a couple questions get answered with basically the same answers, and my mac mini is a late 2014 but since it only has 4gb of ram, and it is non upgradable for ram it is staying on monterey even though it can be taken to sonoma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.