Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiftcommandl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2021
Good afternoon! I have a 2018 MBA that I recently internet-recovered to Mojave (shipped os). I am thankful this is possible but am wondering whether it will be possible a few years down the line. How long does Apple support internet recovery after the release of the OS version? Is there any time bar? Thanks for your insights.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As to "how long" Apple will support re-installing Mojave through internet recovery on a 2018 MBA -- well, just can't say.

It's Apple, and they change their policies on their whims, without warning.

But... so long as "Command-SHIFT-OPTION-R" still works to reinstall Mojave, it works.

You might consider creating a bootable clone of your current Mojave install on an external drive (using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper).
Set it aside in a safe place.
Then, you'll have a way "to reinstall Mojave" without Apple.
Just "re-clone" the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive...

shiftcommandl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2021
What about mavericks or snow leopard or even mountain lion? Is internet recovery possible for these in 2021?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
What about mavericks or snow leopard or even mountain lion? Is internet recovery possible for these in 2021?
You don't get to select which version of OSX to install.
Internet Recovery will always install the version of OSX that the computer in question originally shipped with.

"Mac Internet Recovery
Apple first offered a new recovery tool as part of OS X Lion back in July 2011"

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You don't get to select which version of OSX to install.
Internet Recovery will always install the version of OSX that the computer in question originally shipped with.
Except for Macs that shipped with Snow Leopard that got Internet Recovery with an EFI(?) Update in Lion such as the mid-2011 iMac. Internet Recovery on those will not put Snow Leopard back on, but rather Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.