Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London, Great Britain
I was just wondering, does anybody know if it is possible to install XP with something like Bootcamp/Parallels using a system recovery disc from an old windows pc.

Also, if this is possible, is this legal? and for anyone who has done this, are you able to download updates from Microsoft Update?

Edit: Just remembered another question, how easy is it to run XP from an external HDD using whatever program is required to do so? And, could I boot XP that is already installed on an old HDD using a ide to usb converter?

Thanks,
Wilden

scanlanlee

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2006
Ireland
It MAY be possible - depending on the disk you have, but it would be illegel as the license you have on the PC would (normally) only apply to the computer it was originally installed on.:(

sorry if that bursts your bubble

and to answer you edit - running XP from an external drive requires using VMware (when it comes out!) or Parallels

Never heard of booting using a ide to usb converter

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
1. Possibly, but you would still need a separate license to activate it.
2. No. It may be possible to boot XP on a USB2 drive for which you've slipstreamed some modifications onto the CD you used to install it, but not an existing XP install.

Wilden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London, Great Britain
Ok guys, thanks, just needed to know, planning on getting my first mac soon and was wondering if there was a way to get Windows running on it without having to fork out £150 for it.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Wilden said:
Ok guys, thanks, just needed to know, planning on getting my first mac soon and was wondering if there was a way to get Windows running on it without having to fork out £150 for it.

Yes there are ways. You have to be the judge if what you are doing is right/legal, etc. and if you've paid MS their due, etc.

Wilden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London, Great Britain
I've been running Windows since 95, and since I'm 18 that's pretty much all my life, I think Microsoft owes me by now, with everything I had to put up with and all.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Wilden said:
I've been running Windows since 95, and since I'm 18 that's pretty much all my life, I think Microsoft owes me by now, with everything I had to put up with and all.

I don't condone piracy but I do know there are many out there who share your feelings - often they feel MS charges too much money, or uses what some consider oppressive/offensive policies such as Product Activation, etc.

I do pay legally for everything I use (unless of course it is freeware or something like that). But I do know some feel kind of cheated by high prices and harsh policies that MS is known to use sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.