Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

napabar

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Years ago I used to sell a BinHex tool in the Mac App Store called OldHex. I haven't sold any apps in the store for a few years now, but I figured I might as well give OldHex away now to the community. I've recently updated it as a 64-bit app, and you can either drag the files onto the Classic Mac picture or simply click on it to browse for the files. The Classic Mac startup chime will play when the encoding is done, which will normally be instantaneously, unless you're BinHexing hundreds of files! This is simply a BinHex encoding tool, NOT a compression tool (This isn't Stuffit!) It's useful to preserve the resource fork of old Mac software and files when moving it onto a non-HFS disk or sending it over the internet. The App isn't signed, so you'll have to right click on it and choose "Open" the first time. You can download it here:

napabar

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Apple has recently updated iCloud sharing to allow folders. I've decided to move the apps (OldHex and XPostFloppy) I wrote and shared on here a while back to a singular folder, rather than individual links. This will make it a one stop shop, in case I add more software in the future. Today I'm also including a text adventure I wrote about 8 years ago. None of these are signed, just right click and choose Open the first time. Enjoy!

MikeatOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2007
Austria
Thank you very much! It's a great gift for collectors of old Macs. Sorry, I never heard about it before.
We can now send classic Mac files and apps from OS X to OS 7, 8, 9 via FTP and the resource fork will not be destroyed anymore!

Reactions: napabar

napabar

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thank you very much! It's a great gift for collectors of old Macs. Sorry, I never heard about it before.
We can now send classic Mac files and apps from OS X to OS 7, 8, 9 via FTP and the resource fork will not be destroyed anymore!

You're welcome! Enjoy!

MikeatOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2007
Austria
Hier an overview in pictures. I tried it successfully today.

Attachments

• OldHex 3.0 overview small.jpg
    OldHex 3.0 overview small.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 240
  • OldHex 3.0 send.jpg
    OldHex 3.0 send.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 281
  • OldHex 3.0 receive.jpg
    OldHex 3.0 receive.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: napabar

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
While I don't personally have a use for this, thank you so much for releasing the app instead of just letting it fall into the ether. There is so much Mac App Store-only software that has now just become impossible to acquire.

Reactions: Nermal and napabar

Joe-Hamburg

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
Germany, Fulda
Years ago I used to sell a BinHex tool in the Mac App Store called OldHex. I haven't sold any apps in the store for a few years now, but I figured I might as well give OldHex away now to the community. I've recently updated it as a 64-bit app, and you can either drag the files onto the Classic Mac picture or simply click on it to browse for the files. The Classic Mac startup chime will play when the encoding is done, which will normally be instantaneously, unless you're BinHexing hundreds of files! This is simply a BinHex encoding tool, NOT a compression tool (This isn't Stuffit!) It's useful to preserve the resource fork of old Mac software and files when moving it onto a non-HFS disk or sending it over the internet. The App isn't signed, so you'll have to right click on it and choose "Open" the first time. You can download it here:

Dear napabar,
it would be really very great if you can provide also all older versions of OldHex for earlier OSXes.
(hope this post still reach you)
Thanks a lot, Joe

napabar

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Dear napabar,
it would be really very great if you can provide also all older versions of OldHex for earlier OSXes.
(hope this post still reach you)
Thanks a lot, Joe
Which version OS X is not working for you?

Joe-Hamburg

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
Germany, Fulda
Which version OS X is not working for you?
Thank you, that you noticed my post!
The most recent OldHex3.0 you posted in iCloud requests OSX 10.10. I am still with my Macmini mid 2010, OSX 10.6.8 (Rosetta!) which would probably require OldHex2.1 - I guess [no clue for my older G3]. I suspect that vintage 68k Mac users/hobbyists often own a variety of old fashioned Macs with type specific OSX limitatons. Appletalk compatibility with early 68k Mac became difficult beyond OSX 10.2.8 and therefor for popular 10.3.9 which was to my knowliedge the last OSX which can run 68k code.
Regards, Joe

napabar

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thank you, that you noticed my post!
The most recent OldHex3.0 you posted in iCloud requests OSX 10.10. I am still with my Macmini mid 2010, OSX 10.6.8 (Rosetta!) which would probably require OldHex2.1 - I guess [no clue for my older G3]. I suspect that vintage 68k Mac users/hobbyists often own a variety of old fashioned Macs with type specific OSX limitatons. Appletalk compatibility with early 68k Mac became difficult beyond OSX 10.2.8 and therefor for popular 10.3.9 which was to my knowliedge the last OSX which can run 68k code.
Regards, Joe
This AppleScript will essentially do the same thing.

AppleScript:
set source to (choose file default location (path to desktop folder) with multiple selections allowed)
repeat with filetocopy in source
    set n to (quoted form of (POSIX path of filetocopy)) & " "
    set n2 to do shell script "x=" & n & "; y=" & quote & "${x##*/}" & quote & "; echo " & quote & "${y%.*}" & quote & ""
    set n3 to n2 & ".hqx" & ""
    try
        do shell script "BinHex encode " & n & "-o" & space & "~/Desktop/" & quoted form of n3
    on error
        set bn to do shell script "basename " & n
        display dialog "The file " & bn & " is ineligible for BinHex encoding.  Files must not be OS X Apps or other OS X Bundles." buttons {"OK"} default button 1
    end try
end repeat
display dialog "Finished!" buttons {"OK"} default button 1

vga256

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Just a belated THANK YOU to @napabar for OldHex. I spent hours on the web trying to figure out how to preserve the resource fork while uploading files to my Color Classic via HTTP/FTP.

Last edited:

napabar

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Just a belated THANK YOU to @napabar for OldHex. I spent hours on the web trying to figure out how to preserve the resource fork while uploading files to my Color Classic via HTTP/FTP.
You're welcome! Glad people are finding it useful!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.