Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I have an iPhone XS and the display is OLED. I am a bit concerned about Screen Burn-In issues.
Does anyone who owns an iPhone XS experienced a Screen Burn-In or sometimes called a "Ghost" image since the display is based on OLED?

I know that some gamers experience this issue when playing games on OLED display TVs or monitors.

Was wondering if the OLED displays on certain models of iPhones could have the same issue.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
At work, we have a couple of OLEDs running for around 10 hours a day, and they have no burn-in at all. Most modern monitors/TVs do not suffer from burn in unless you run the same static image for weeks/months at a time with no break.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
XS Max, launch day purchase, no burn in, screen still looks as good as the day I purchased it.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Thank you very much for the prompt and quick replies!

My next question would be, if I decide to get another iPhone in the future, should I stick with the OLED type display or the IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen?

The IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen might consume less battery drain and that might be a positive factor.

Last edited:

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
The IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen might consume less battery drain and that might be a positive factor.

LCD displays use more energy than OLED displays (all other things being the same - size, resolution, etc), because they require a separate backlight in addition to the display itself. That backlight's always on, even if there's very dark content on the screen, while an OLED display can dim dark pixels individually and thus use less energy.

Reactions: Lucas284

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Puonti : Of course not. Check battery tests 11 vs 11 pro (smaller display and 2% smaller battery) in browsing tests. White backgrounds on pages. Same brightness. 11 has 20-30% better battery life. If you watching dark movie, dark pages, using dark mode etc - 11 pro win.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Puonti : Of course not. Check battery tests 11 vs 11 pro (smaller display and 2% smaller battery) in browsing tests. White backgrounds on pages. Same brightness. 11 has 20-30% better battery life. If you watching dark movie, dark pages, using dark mode etc - 11 pro win.

As I said, "other things being the same". Both 11 pros are rendering a much higher screen resolution than the 11, every single frame. Check the specs.

Plus, it's worth noting that normal smartphone use is mixed-content. Testing only all-light or all-dark content is going to be unfair for the OLED or the LCD, respectively. What I'm talking about is how the tech works, because the poster I quoted thought that current consumer LCD tech uses less power than OLED tech - which is incorrect.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I don’t know why, but I’ve never seen an iPhone with burn in. And I’m seeing like 10+ a day.

On the other hand every older Samsung has burn in.

Funny thing is the iPhone has Samsung OLED too.

Reactions: MarkX

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I don’t know why, but I’ve never seen an iPhone with burn in. And I’m seeing like 10+ a day.

On the other hand every older Samsung has burn in.

Funny thing is the iPhone has Samsung OLED too.

I think this is more "older OLED panels" compared with "newer oled panels" rather than comparing Samsung to Apple.

Some of the early OLED panels looked great, but suffered from image burn-in and often premature failure (anybody who bought one of LG's first model OLEDs, myself included, will probably attest to that). OLED panels have really improved over the last few years. Not so much in the image quality area - but especially when it comes to reliability.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Yeah that could be but I see burn in on S7 S8 S9. Those are newer models.

What I meant by older Samsung is not the model but the “used time”.

S8 is same age as X.

Last edited:

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Little OT but, does OLED TV's have PWM ? I've never heard about issues with TV...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Little OT but, does OLED TV's have PWM ? I've never heard about issues with TV...

All OLED technology can exhibit PWM to a degree. The difference between a smart phone and an OLED TV, a smart phone is within 12 inches or less of your face, and it causes a greater strain on your eyes (Especially with the brightness increased). As for an OLED TV, nobody sits directly in front of the TV at such a close distance, which is why you read about PWM becoming an issue given, most people are minimum sitting approximately 6 to 8 feet or further back from their TV.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
But to conclude my main question here, I should not worry about screen burn-in issues with my iPhone XS?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But to conclude my main question here, I should not worry about screen burn-in issues with my iPhone XS?

I wouldn’t be concerned. It’s definitely a tendency with OLED panels, but it’s not a regularity either where it’s a common occurrence. OLED is meant to shift pixels to help prevent that, but there’s no guarantee that it can’t exhibit some form of ‘image retention‘ on an OLED panel. The question is, to what degree and/or severity does it actually become noticeable.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I saw a video of a xs on display that had screen burn. To be fair it was probably on for 12 hours a day at full brightness showing the home screen. If it happens to mine Apple can replace it, not concerned at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.