Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
New York
With this latest rumors about the next iPhone having OLED screen technology, I was wondering would an OLED iMac offer significant gains than the current LCD?
What makes OLED screens so special other than more vibrant colors? Personally, I don't like over saturated colors, I used to have a galaxy s2 plus and the colors were very vibrant and didn't like it at all.
I also heard that OLED screens in smart phones degrade very fast. Is that true?
Is OLED better in every aspect than LCD or does one have its pros and cons compared to the other?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
With this latest rumors about the next iPhone having OLED screen technology, I was wondering would an OLED iMac offer significant gains than the current LCD?
What makes OLED screens so special other than more vibrant colors? Personally, I don't like over saturated colors, I used to have a galaxy s2 plus and the colors were very vibrant and didn't like it at all.
I also heard that OLED screens in smart phones degrade very fast. Is that true?
Is OLED better in every aspect than LCD or does one have its pros and cons compared to the other?

Oled it's the blacks that are really black that make them so good and colours seem to pop on the TVs I've seen, over saturated colours are down to the calibration of the screen more than the screen technology.

They do have their pro's and cons and longevity and price are the main cons.

I have yet to see any 5k oled panels available so we may be waiting a while for oled iMacs, we may see it in the MacBook pros next year though (or this year if we're lucky.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
New York
Well that would be 21" and again at 4k, wouldn't that be pricey?

Yeah sure. Eh, just give me a new iMac with upgraded dGPU that can handle high end graphics better than the curent line and eliminate those ugly thick bezels around the screen. That's all I care for.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah sure. Eh, just give me a new iMac with upgraded dGPU that can handle high end graphics better than the curent line and eliminate those ugly thick bezels around the screen. That's all I care for.
I think that's what everyone is waiting for :)

I'm not so sure we'll see a high end GPU, (I hope we do), but Apple doesn't seem to use those high end ones.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
+ the same color options the MacBook has

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
New York
+ the same color options the MacBook has

Eh, I don't know how the different color options would look on an iMac. I have a feeling while they look good on MB, on iMac they would look weird...Don't know how to explain it.
What i would do if i was a designer at apple is make a redesign and add other body materials than just aluminum to resemble the '98 and '02 body design, like for instance a glossy body or a callback and homage to the retro look of the older iMac designs. But then it might look ugly i don't know. I just find the aluminum body look a bit boring after all these years.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
OLED has had difficulty scaling up from mobile sizes. It is still very expensive on TV's and has burn-in issues (a minor problem for a TV with recent developments, but would be for a monitor than can have static images for long periods of time). Maybe Apple will go to micro-LED instead using the technology they gained when they bought LuxVue. Sony are finally releasing similar technology they are calling CLEDIS. Samsung a rumoured to be working on QLED. All are self-emitting LED sub pixels and may be the next big thing.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Is the iMac expected to be refreshed/updated this year (October?)? I know it was upgraded last year. I currently have a 2012 that runs well for my needs, but am considering handing it down to my kids since I think my 2008 iMac that they use now is getting ready to bite the dust.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Dell has a $4,000 4k OLED computer monitor. Hope that puts things into perspective.

We're at least 5-7 years off from a iMac 27" 5k OLED screen.

OLED suffers from burn in, similar to plasma. Dell developed a tech called pixel shift that shifts the image a few pixels every hour or so.

Also, certain colors such as blues were proven to fade after long term use in the first few generations of OLED. We have yet to see if this is fixed.

Long term sustainability has yet to be seen for OLED.

NVIDIA's desktop pascal GPUs support HDR now so the market is setting itself up for OLED down the road.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD
Well that would be 21" and again at 4k, wouldn't that be pricey?
LG OLED TVs have really climbed down in price, i picked one up this new years for £2000, it was the newer model with HDR and the updated HDMI ports, and wow. I have played 4k trailers on my 5k imac, and then 4k hdr on the oled, and adjusting for the difference in screen size, the LG is so much more superior than the imac.

What has been a huge disappointment has been content, or the dearth of 4k HDR.

Last edited:

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
New York
LG OLED TVs have really climbed down in price, i picked one up this new years for £2000, it was the newer model with HDR and the updated HDMI ports, and wow. I have played 4k trailers on my 5k imac, and then 4k hdr on the oled, and adjusting for the difference in screen size, the LG is so much superior than the imac.

What has been a huge disappointment has been content, or the dearth of 4k HDR.

So is that much difference in the image quality? Could you post some screenshots I'd like to see how it looks on the oled screen.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So is that much difference in the image quality? Could you post some screenshots I'd like to see how it looks on the oled screen.

HDR is the likely perceived difference. I think it would be tough to show that via screen shots or even pictures with and without it on. Its something that must be seen in person to really appreciate.

I have a Samsung 4k TV that supports HDR10 (and I have no content currently) but watching a demo in store the camera panned to a sunset and I caught myself actually squinting as if it was really looking toward the sun.

EDIT: Oops didnt see this was already replied too.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD
HDR is the likely perceived difference. I think it would be tough to show that via screen shots or even pictures with and without it on. Its something that must be seen in person to really appreciate.

I have a Samsung 4k TV that supports HDR10 (and I have no content currently) but watching a demo in store the camera panned to a sunset and I caught myself actually squinting as if it was really looking toward the sun.

EDIT: Oops didnt see this was already replied too.
I completely agree with in regards to the screenshots not really able to demonstrate 4k-HDR.

I found some 4k HDR trailers on the net, the life of pie and exodus were very good at demoing 4k-HDR, the colours were sharp and vivid. Amazon has a few of their novel shows in 4k-HDR, they look pretty faded and dark, and worse than my bluray 1080p, netflix did a far better job, albeit, thier shows were not HDR.

Ironically, the samsung demo is the best clip that really demonstrates the abilities of my LG TV, it is a 4k-HDR demo in 3D, and wow, I'm not a big 3D fan, but this was spectacular.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

So HDR is only for 4K resolution? Is it that much of a difference from 4K videos?
For me personally, I found the difference between 4k and 1080p far less tangible and awe-inspiring than the leap to 4k HDR on a OLED screen. It was the richness and vibrancy of the colours as opposed to the pixel density, this was my impression.

Now I have to wait a decade or so until Apple makes a 5k HDR iMac. :(
Or 1 year, but it will be driven by the same 7-year old rebranded AMD mobile GPUs :rolleyes:

I googled it and found that is actually the photograph HDR effect in Photoshop
I would be mindful of the caveat at looking at 4k HDR photos on a non-4k HDR screen, despite however much clever photo-shopping.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
New York
For me personally, I found the difference between 4k and 1080p far less tangible and awe-inspiring than the leap to 4k HDR on a OLED screen. It was the richness and vibrancy of the colours as opposed to the pixel density, this was my impression.

Wow interesting indeed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.