Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like Olympus rolled out (or at least announced) the latest iteration of the EM5. With the Mark III, the EM5 gets some features from the EM1

Olympus OM-D E-M5 III initial review

Key takeaways
  • 20MP Four Thirds sensor
  • 121-point hybrid autofocus system
  • 50MP high-res shot mode
  • 10 fps burst shooting with AF-C
  • Cinema (DCI) and UHD 4K video
  • Up 6.5EV of image stabilization (CIPA-rating) with supported lenses
  • 2.36M-dot OLED viewfinder with 60 fps refresh rate
  • Extensive direct controls and articulating touchscreen
  • Weather-sealed body
  • In-camera USB charging
  • 1/8000 sec mechanical shutter speed

Looks like it will be available at the end of next month, for 1,200 dollars. I read somewhere that some folks expect rebates to bring the price down, I can't see that happening on a brand new camera.

I have to say, I'm intrigued by this upgrade, trade-in estimates of my Mark II EM5 is in the 300 dollar range, a tad low but the body only price new is in the 800 range (at most, I've seen it for less) so I shouldn't be surprised.

Here's dpreview-TV's review and its somewhat muted. I do agree with much of they had to say, it's not pushing any boundaries, but the phase detect AF is a really nice feature. I'm bothered by some of the comments on him saying that some of the controls have a plasticy feel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I have to say, I'm intrigued by this upgrade, trade-in estimates of my Mark II EM5 is in the 300 dollar range, a tad low but the body only price new is in the 800 range (at most, I've seen it for less) so I shouldn't be surprised.

When I upgraded, my “trade in” value for my G85 was $320 with the 12-60 lens, or $175 without the lens. I was able to sell just the body for $375 on eBay, so there’s considerably more money to be had out there if you are willing to sell it yourself.

This camera looks to be a somewhere between the G9 and G95 in comparison to specs and prices. Both of those cameras feel very solid though, not plasticky.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
When I upgraded, my “trade in” value for my G85 was $320 with the 12-60 lens, or $175 without the lens. I was able to sell just the body for $375 on eBay, so there’s considerably more money to be had out there if you are willing to sell it yourself.
Oh without question ebay, or direct sale is the best approach. Though with that said, the market value of the OMD EM5 has be less then 800 dollars as I see that price floating around the interwebs.

As I said, the update it is intriguing but I don't think its tempting - at least yet :) Overall, I'm quiet happy with the Mark II, though a better AF system would most definitely be welcome

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Here's dpreview-TV's review and its somewhat muted. I do agree with much of they had to say, it's not pushing any boundaries, but the phase detect AF is a really nice feature. I'm bothered by some of the comments on him saying that some of the controls have a plasticy feel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't feel like DPReview gives Olympus a fair shake, in general. And I get it: their staff probably spend a lot more time with Canon, Nikon, and Sony. They don't know all of the features that Olympus has, and their constant decrying of the menu system is further evidence of the lack of familiarity with the system. (Case in point, when I became a dual-system user with Fuji, I found a lot of things to be unintuitive... but Fuji users praise Fuji's system as being worlds better than other brands, particularly Sony. It's all about what you know and expect, and I guess Olympus does things a bit more differently than many other brands.) It also doesn't help that they're fully on board with the "bigger sensors = better images" belief, which is an automatic bias against Olympus' cameras right from the start.

Based on what I've read, this is basically a miniature E-M1 MkII. As an E-M1 MkII user, I have to say that's not a bad thing at all. My camera still feels modern and performs well. If I didn't have it and were buying today I'd probably struggle with the decision between the E-M1 MkII and the E-M5 MkIII.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Yup... it's definitely a mini-E-M1 MkII, and that's a great thing assuming one wants the better AF system (because that's basically what you're paying the premium for). I went from the original E-M5 to the E-M1 MkII and the difference in autofocus capability is huge. Years ago I wouldn't have been that excited about it because most of my subjects were static to slow moving, but now that my kids are a bit older I'm loving the PDAF/CDAF autofocus system and additional performance of the E-m1.2 (it's a very fast camera in every regard). It's also fun to be able to track birds in flight quite reliably. It's also nice to have C-AF for video that actually works. The 4K video output is excellent.

For the most part it seems like it comes down to ergonomics. If you shoot with big (for m4/3) lenses like the 40-150mm f/2.8, the grip on the E-M1.2 will feel like a better match. If you shoot mostly smaller primes and zooms, the E-M5 MkIII makes for a bit slimmer profile kit. I still use my old E-M5 as a second camera, and it feels significantly more compact with a small f/1.8 prime (or especially with my 20mm f/1.7 pancake). Once I get up to the 12-40mm f/2.8 the slim profile of the E-M5 is overshadowed by the lens and I might as well switch to the E-m1.2. I suppose battery size is another advantage of the E-m1.2. It takes more power to drive the dual autofocus system and the in-camera processers. The E-M1.2 will last longer on a single battery. There is also a difference in buffer size for burst shooting, but I don't really need the ability to shoot as fast as the E-m1.2 is capable of. Maybe on rare occasions. Oh... and dual card slots can be nice, but not a necessity for most.

The E-M1.2 was such an advanced camera when it was released that it still feels cutting edge in many ways. I think the firmware update last year refreshed it. The E-M5 MkIII will also feel like a very advanced little camera.

• Love
Reactions: Ledgem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.