Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Wow, I have no fracking idea what happened.

I just rebooted my machine, and when I checked my mail I found Mail downloading all those mails from 2 days ago as unread.. Hmm, that's queer..

Then I started looking around my machine more and more and wondering "Hey.. where did file x go", "How about that document", "hmmm"

And then I opened a chat window and Adium, and found the same trend too, my last chat log entry was for 2 days ago when I just sent a message off hours ago..

And it does seems like that's exactly what that has happened, everything in the past 2 days is *gone*

I have no idea where it went. Is this what I paid for in this piece of **** of a MacOS? Where did my data go to?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
generik said:

I just rebooted my machine, and when I checked my mail I found Mail downloading all those mails from 2 days ago as unread.. Hmm, that's queer..

Then I started looking around my machine more and more and wondering "Hey.. where did file x go", "How about that document", "hmmm"

And then I opened a chat window and Adium, and found the same trend too, my last chat log entry was for 2 days ago when I just sent a message off hours ago..

And it does seems like that's exactly what that has happened, everything in the past 2 days is *gone*

I have no idea where it went. Is this what I paid for in this piece of **** of a MacOS? Where did my data go to?

Why did you need to re-boot?

Sounds like something is amiss with your .plist files.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
How can I recover those lost files?

Under no circumstances should my files go missing, no? Spyware or otherwise even Windows doesn't do it

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Rebooted cos it was feeling sluggish to the max, VM usage was like 14gb and I have no idea where that memory is going.

Those files are just lost, it is not plist issue or anything, they are just plain not there anymore.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Try

Try repairing your permissions then reboot. See what happens. You might could try booting off the CD that came with your computer. Repair permissions there, run the hardware test. Then reboot.

Don't know if this would work but it's worth a try. Your situation is really odd, unless you did a time warp :D

Nuc

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Hmm.. apparently modified files are fine.

Newly created files in that time frame just vanish

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Filevault keeps telling me it is using "more space.." etc and asks if I want to recover this unused space, to which I kept telling it no.

The files are probably there somewhere, but how do I get them back?

Wow this OS is so damned buggy.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Filevault is your clue. I would call AppleCare and discuss the issue with them. It your files were actually written to the hard drive, chances are they're still there just not in a viewable form to the O/S. I'm assuming your running the latest version of Tiger (10.4.3)?

You safely rebooted, correct? If Filevault was somehow interrupted while it was encrypting and decrypting your home directory, your files may have been deleted or corrupted. You may be able to recover lost documents with a hard drive recovery application.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Ah well, just decided to turn that damned thing off. At least it wasn't irreplaceable files.

Ridiculous.. I can't expect such a thing from Macs too :mad:

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
generik said:

Read This!

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301416

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
This is why you should ever use FileVault unless you ABSOLUTELY NEED IT. Which you probably don't. It's just a bad idea.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Using FileVault on a personal machine is kinda like protecting your dog's kennel with a rocket launcher. Sure, nothing will get near the kennel, but there's a pretty big chance you'll lose the dog. :(

Sorry to hear about this generik. Hopefully Apple will come up with a way of getting your data back but I don't have high hopes. Good luck with it. :)

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
FileVault is the one thing i don't recommend anyone use unless they have to. Something about encrypting all those files like that just makes me wince.

If you must encrypt files, create a new disk image, and store your files in that, you have the option of supplying encryption on new disk images with a password. much safer as long as you remember the password.

also. mac os is not buggy and it's not the mac's fault. it's just the nature of FileVault. you don't need it, so don't use it. you'll notice a great increase in disk access to files in your home directory as well. now, go back to enjoying your mac and talk to apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.