Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Originally I decided not to upgrade from my X but the more I started watching some of the early reviews the more I wanted the XS and particularly for the camera features. Stopped in to my local T-Mobile store this morning at 8am and grabbed a gold 64GB XS (not Max)...taking some sample shots around the house this morning I can tell you that the improvements in highlights and shadows are tremendous! Apple really did a fantastic job with their dynamic HDR, wow. I also really love the new aperture slider. The speed improvements are slight but noticeable as well.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
My first random shot. I think it looks great coming from an iPhone 7 Plus

Attachments

• 11FCAF26-4EAF-4CF5-B9F2-D20185A34D11.jpeg
    11FCAF26-4EAF-4CF5-B9F2-D20185A34D11.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5,534

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I can definitely tell a difference, great pics! Can't wait to get my max!

But OMG, my heart just exploded with a pic of your dog! <3 I lost my 2 Goldens just over a year ago and how I miss them! :(

I'm sorry you lost your dogs. :( Goldens really are the sweetest dogs I think...we love ours to pieces. Hopefully you will have one in your life again some day.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Even without any clever processing tricks you can tell there's a larger sensor in there right off the bat.

Quite exciting really. Wonder how big camera sensors will end up having. APS-C level some day? Too optimistic?

I know Panasonic or someone made a massive sensor camera a while ago but it was a gimmick. Huge and impractical.

What if the back of the phone was a sensor with a protective layer/coating. And it used some virtual shutter technology to let light in and out.. that would allow phones to have larger sensors than DSLR's!

Christ, I bet they've already thought of that and have concepts drawn up!

/tangent

Nice pics! Enjoy your Max, agree, camera is definitely way improved from comparisons I've been digging up on Youtube today.

cc00lltt00nn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Buford, GA
Just snagged my Max at lunch from the Apple store. Could not agree more! I was shocked at the difference between my X and Max. The display on the Max is much more vibrant and bright. I wonder how many nits the display is?

ChrisClark1977

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
[doublepost=1537543751][/doublepost]Here's a nice bokeh-d up snap of my dog....

piper.jpg

This one of the dog is fantastic!
[doublepost=1537553028][/doublepost]Front-facing camera is definitely improved over the X and way improved over previous models. Only shot I have so far is a portrait selfie, but I'm digging it. And adjustable f stop? Brilliant!

IMG_0001.jpg

Hernan4651

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2018
This one of the dog is fantastic!
[doublepost=1537553028][/doublepost]Front-facing camera is definitely improved over the X and way improved over previous models. Only shot I have so far is a portrait selfie, but I'm digging it. And adjustable f stop? Brilliant!

View attachment 786091
It looks fine. But your hair is blurred too and that is not so great. But an upgrade of course it is.

And the dog photo looks fake to me, i mean you could tell it's a software working there. Maybe i am too strict with photos.
But like i say before, sure it is an upgrade from X. Bigger sensor is the best way to perform better :)

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
It looks fine. But your hair is blurred too and that is not so great. But an upgrade of course it is.

And the dog photo looks fake to me, i mean you could tell it's a software working there. Maybe i am too strict with photos.
But like i say before, sure it is an upgrade from X. Bigger sensor is the best way to perform better :)
That might be it, i didn't notice either things.

Reactions: Hernan4651

ChrisClark1977

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Oh, for sure. There's also some blur on the shoulder by the chair because the shirt looks like the same color. I played with the F stop slider and probably went too far. What I meant by "digging it" is that I feel pretty happy with what I got on my first try (while also not denying that it's definitely a first try, in all its sloppy glory).

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 534

Hernan4651

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2018
Oh, for sure. There's also some blur on the shoulder by the chair because the shirt looks like the same color. I played with the F stop slider and probably went too far. What I meant by "digging it" is that I feel pretty happy with what I got on my first try (while also not denying that it's definitely a first try, in all its sloppy glory).
Yeah! You would spot on . It's great to could change the f stop :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.