Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Hi,
I've read some articles from like 6 years ago which mentioned an OS X native port of Doom II: http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/omni-press/2001/000008.html

The problem is, I can't find it.

I've Googled everywhere so it seems, and can't locate it, unless it was some kind of demo for OS X, and never released.

And, I do know I can use the plethora of ports, but I want to try this one.

Thank you for ANY help.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Why would anyone search for this port when there are much better ports which support all systems and latest graphics technologies, like Doomsday?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Hi,
I've read some articles from like 6 years ago which mentioned an OS X native port of Doom II...
Id Software requested that the Omni Group remove their ports of Id games for Mac OS X so that they could build their own. The only Id games left on the Omni Group site are for Rhapsody, OPENSTEP and NEXTSTEP.

On a side note, the Omni Group port of Quake III worked much better in DP4/Public Beta/10.0/10.1 than the later Id port did in 10.0/10.1... This wasn't Id's fault, most Carbon based apps ran rather slowly before 10.2 was released.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Why would anyone search for this port when there are much better ports which support all systems and latest graphics technologies, like Doomsday?
I know I can use the fancy new ones, but I wanted to use an official port.

Id Software requested that the Omni Group remove their ports of Id games for Mac OS X so that they could build their own. The only Id games left on the Omni Group site are for Rhapsody, OPENSTEP and NEXTSTEP.
Oh, I see, thanks, I did not know that. Did Id finish their Doom II port? I can't seem to find a Doom II for OS X anywhere (other than the unofficial ports).

On a side note, the Omni Group port of Quake III worked much better in DP4/Public Beta/10.0/10.1 than the later Id port did in 10.0/10.1... This wasn't Id's fault, most Carbon based apps ran rather slowly before 10.2 was released.
I see.. Anyway, thank you both for your help ;)

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
I know I can use the fancy new ones, but I wanted to use an official port.

Oh, I see, thanks, I did not know that. Did Id finish their Doom II port? I can't seem to find a Doom II for OS X anywhere (other than the unofficial ports).

I see.. Anyway, thank you both for your help ;)

I seem to remember buying Doom II to play on OS8 back in the day? It was one Doom title anyway and was truly awful. I hate Doom. Play Deus Ex instead!

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah, I changed my mind, I tried Doom II, and it was just awful ugh. Even though it had no real story, I'd still rather play Quake 3, as there's some point to it. I'm going to give Deus Ex a shot... Thanks..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.