Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, 3G Unrestrictor simply allows you to download stuff over cellular that ordinarily would be restricted by the system.

I.e., the app download limit, backing up to iCloud over cellular instead of WiFi, etc.

Not sure how that would allow you to get around any carrier restrictions.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Well, 3G Unrestrictor simply allows you to download stuff over cellular that ordinarily would be restricted by the system.

I.e., the app download limit, backing up to iCloud over cellular instead of WiFi, etc.

Not sure how that would allow you to get around any carrier restrictions.
Hmmmm I thought there was a little more to the tweak. So not worth it in other words?

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Hmmmm I thought there was a little more to the tweak. So not worth it in other words?

Depends on if you find yourself being restricted in your day to day use by being on 3/4g..... Like eye said.... That's basically what that tweak does. I wish I had unlimited, I'd definitely take advantage of tethering.....I'm a high use guy on a device, I've been jailbroken for years and have tried almost every serious tweak ever made, except this one. I've just never needed it. I say it's not worth it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont think you understand how the hack works or what it actually does.
It does not unthrottle unlimited data plans. That's something done on the carrier side and no hack or software can bypass that.
And yes the tweak is well worth it and does what it is supposed to do.

And from its FAQ's
Can I use mobile internet for free without having a plan with 3G Unrestrictor?
No, you cannot! Please read the first FAQ question to understand how 3G Unrestrictor works! To be able to use it you will need a working mobile internet plan. It allows you to do things that usually only work on WiFi, but not on 3G.

• If I use 3G Unrestrictor, will my mobile data usage be reduced?
    No, your mobile data usage is calculated at your provider's side. 3G Unrestrictor cannot change that and you will still be billed for everything you use!

• Will 3G Unrestrictor increase my mobile internet speed?
    No, 3G Unrestrictor does not make your 3G or EDGE connection faster. All it does is tell the iPhone it is on WiFi even though it is on 3G!

• Can I use 3G Unrestrictor with my iPod Touch to use the internet without a WiFi connection?
    No, this is impossible, since the iPod Touch does not have any mobile network connectivity!

http://www.3gunrestrictor.com/

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta

actually i love it. i'm on VZW UDP and i unrestrict all my video apps because of quality. of course, with VZW, they won't slow you down for any limit. i think watching video alone i've hit over 230GB streaming live tv feed from comcast

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Depends on if you find yourself being restricted in your day to day use by being on 3/4g..... Like eye said.... That's basically what that tweak does. I wish I had unlimited, I'd definitely take advantage of tethering.....I'm a high use guy on a device, I've been jailbroken for years and have tried almost every serious tweak ever made, except this one. I've just never needed it. I say it's not worth it.
I've just heard that there's a speed restriction on us with Unlimited but I can't see I know the specifics.

No. Not if you are expecting it to help you get around AT&T's restrictions. It's just for getting around Apple's cellular restrictions.
I'm not, I know that ATT drops you off the plan if you try it. But I'm looking to get around Apples. What are they?

actually i love it. i'm on VZW UDP and i unrestrict all my video apps because of quality. of course, with VZW, they won't slow you down for any limit. i think watching video alone i've hit over 230GB streaming live tv feed from comcast

This is why I'm looking at it. I know that my speeds are blah compared to my sis on ATT with a normal plan.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not, I know that ATT drops you off the plan if you try it. But I'm looking to get around Apples. What are they?
Take a look…

You can add apps (one of the screencaps here) but all adding an app does is fool that app into thinking it's on WiFi when it isn't.

That's all the tweak does.

2016-05-21 13.21.02.png 2016-05-21 13.21.16.png 2016-05-21 13.21.49.png

Reactions: kalirob99

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
I've had it for years and it's pretty decent for the few bucks. I basically use it to update apps when not on home wifi. I have unlimited data on my phones and this helps me bypass the restrictions apple puts in place when updating my iphone. Otherwise I can't think of when I've used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.