Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojospur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Hi guys,

Ive looked on the forum and cant seem to find any info on this matter, Nothing within the last few years anyway.

Basically is there an easy way to upgrade to a higher OS than High Sierra unofficially? Ive seen sites which claim they can upgrade the OS in a certain program and you pick which one. Is that possible?

Im not bothered about getting the very latest OS but id like to move a few forward from High sierra if possible. What would be the best one to go for?

My mac details are:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) - High Sierra (10.13.6)
16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Solid State SATA Drive (1.02 TB)

Could I upgrade this to:

Mojave
Or
Catalina?

Im guessing that would be the limit as the newer ones after that are 64-bit Intel and ARM versions, Will that cause problems? Also would
Catalina be an issue being 64 bit Intel? Or does non of this matter?

Would my machine run any newer OS well? Its been upgraded to the max and im hoping I can upgrade to at least Catalina or better, but is it easy to do and would it be worth all the trouble?

Has anyone done this successfully on a similar Mac and was it worth it? Lastly how would I go about it? if im allowed to ask? Im guessing its not as easy as downloading an app and picking which one you want to install as ive seen on one website during my research.

Thanks for reading.

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Hi guys,

Ive looked on the forum and cant seem to find any info on this matter, Nothing within the last few years anyway.

Basically is there an easy way to upgrade to a higher OS than High Sierra unofficially? Ive seen sites which claim they can upgrade the OS in a certain program and you pick which one. Is that possible?

Im not bothered about getting the very latest OS but id like to move a few forward from High sierra if possible. What would be the best one to go for?

My mac details are:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) - High Sierra (10.13.6)
16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Solid State SATA Drive (1.02 TB)

Could I upgrade this to:

Mojave
Or
Catalina?

Im guessing that would be the limit as the newer ones after that are 64-bit Intel and ARM versions, Will that cause problems? Also would
Catalina be an issue being 64 bit Intel? Or does non of this matter?

Would my machine run any newer OS well? Its been upgraded to the max and im hoping I can upgrade to at least Catalina or better, but is it easy to do and would it be worth all the trouble?

Has anyone done this successfully on a similar Mac and was it worth it? Lastly how would I go about it? if im allowed to ask? Im guessing its not as easy as downloading an app and picking which one you want to install as ive seen on one website during my research.

Thanks for reading.
Ventura.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.