Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Ok guys so I'm new to the iPad scene having just picked one up today and i just thought of something...am I supposed to turn it off at night like a laptop or leave it on like an iPhone? Will it not overheat or something if I leave it on? What do you guys who have had it for a few do?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
No worries, leave it on.

For your next question(s), no need for a separate thread. People will read your "just bought an iPad" post and help you there.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
This last Friday, I pulled my iPad out of the drawer that I had put it into last Sunday night and realized that I had left it on the entire 5 days and it still had the 95% power left that it did when I thought I turned it off!:eek:

After that I am leaving mine on.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for your replies guys, seems like I'll be ok to just leave it turned on all night

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Since when are you supposed to turn off laptops at night? My MacBook Pro never gets turned off.

I don't mean that you are supposed to turn them off but for me and pretty much everyone else I know, it's just the norm to shut down your laptop at night time

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I don't mean that you are supposed to turn them off but for me and pretty much everyone else I know, it's just the norm to shut down your laptop at night time

Do you know that you can hibernate or suspend both Windows and Mac OS so you don't have to completely power down the computer?

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I understand it's your norm. But ever since OS 9.0, that doesn't do anything for you besides recycling ram and such. You guys are just wasting precious minutes of your lives. Consider trying to leave your computers and laptops on. It would make me feel Better about your situation. Lol

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
It's up to you, but the 'instant on' feature is one of the selling points for the iPad. I'd just leave it on most of the time. It shouldn't overheat.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
It's up to you, but the 'instant on' feature is one of the selling points for the iPad. I'd just leave it on most of the time. It shouldn't overheat.

I will definitely be leaving my iPad on overnight now that I know there is no chance of it self harming :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i am confused. how does one turn off an iPad? (completely)

Just as with an iPhone, you just press and hold the top screen lock button until it says "slide tom power off" do so and it shuts down completely. Probably just needs to be done if the iPad isn't going to be used for a few days at a time.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I think PC laptop people turns their laptops off. I know someone who has a pc laptop and it seems she turns her laptop off before transporting it anywhere... I thought the whole point was to pick it up and go...

Never turn off my iPad

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
This last Friday, I pulled my iPad out of the drawer that I had put it into last Sunday night and realized that I had left it on the entire 5 days and it still had the 95% power left that it did when I thought I turned it off!:eek:

After that I am leaving mine on.

Wow, 5 days without using it? I haven't gone a day without using it since I bought it on the original launch day. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.