Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Every time I type on an app like Drafts or Mail I see this annoying, terrible delay.

I use an iPad Air under iOS 12. I know it's not the fastest device in town, but as soon as I did a clean update to the current OS a long time ago, I saw that it could handle the system pretty well, and that included a fluid experience writing in any app.

Now it's unbearable though.

I tried a test — closed all the apps, restarted the device (hoping that could fix any memory issues) and tried typing in Drafts or Mail. It did no good.

Ideas? (That doesn't imply a classic "restore your device".) Is this "normal"?

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
You can try doing a “reset all settings” in settings > general > reset
(WiFi passwords will need to be re-entered)

If that doesn’t work, a restore is the next step unfortunately.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Try turning off Auto-Correct, Word Prediction, Smart Punctuation, Check Spelling under Setting->General->Keyboard. That should speed up the keyboard response.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Anything older than an iPad 5th Gen is too dated at this point.
The iPad Air 2 is still decent, which is not a big surprise since its multi-core performance is the same as the 5th gen, and it also has 2 GB RAM like the 5th gen.

But any of the iPads with less than 2 GB RAM are going to be a problem.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, Air 2 is okay till iOS 12 perhaps. Mini 4 might be barely tolerable. But anything weaker is crippled and was ever since iOS 9.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, Air 2 is okay till iOS 12 perhaps. Mini 4 might be barely tolerable. But anything weaker is crippled and was ever since iOS 9.
I suspect the iPad Air 2 will be OK performance-wise on iOS 13. Not fast, but OK.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I suspect the iPad Air 2 will be OK performance-wise on iOS 13. Not fast, but OK.

Doubt it. But too early to be sure. We don't know yet if it would even support iOS 13 for sure, let alone how it would perform with it installed should it support it.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Every time I type on an app like Drafts or Mail I see this annoying, terrible delay.

I use an iPad Air under iOS 12. I know it's not the fastest device in town, but as soon as I did a clean update to the current OS a long time ago, I saw that it could handle the system pretty well, and that included a fluid experience writing in any app.

Now it's unbearable though.

I tried a test — closed all the apps, restarted the device (hoping that could fix any memory issues) and tried typing in Drafts or Mail. It did no good.

Ideas? (That doesn't imply a classic "restore your device".) Is this "normal"?

Try turning off iCloud or resetting autocorrect. I recall having this problem and solving it. Something about resetting iCloud? Sorry I can’t be of more help, it was long ago and on an iPad Air.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

Too dated to type letters? o_O

How abysmal is iOS if a few forced/permanent updates later, you can't even type letters without lag? Even my 1st-gen iPad can do this simple task.

Reactions: iRock1

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Too dated to type letters? o_O

How abysmal is iOS if a few forced/permanent updates later, you can't even type letters without lag? Even my 1st-gen iPad can do this simple task.

I had an Air 1 and Mini 2 and ever since iOS 9 both were that slow. That's normal. There was a lot of typing lag on both iOS 9 and 10. Then I upgraded.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I had an Air 1 and Mini 2 and ever since iOS 9 both were that slow. That's normal. There was a lot of typing lag on both iOS 9 and 10. Then I upgraded.

That's inexcusable. It's typing letters. There should be no lag.

Reactions: tonyr6

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Have the same problem. Just "fixed it" by using a 3rd party keyboard

which one would you recommend? i'm not a big fan of 3rd party keyboards tbh
[doublepost=1556481043][/doublepost]

the Air is 5th gen. I guess you mean 6th gen (Air 2)

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Also running into this problem on various login screens.

Did you ever find a resolution?

Apple doesn’t want you to use any iPad with anything worse than an A10 + 2GB RAM at worst.

iPads are actually meant to be changed every year. Or at most every 2 years for lighter users.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Also running into this problem on various login screens.

Did you ever find a resolution?

The user above is right. That miserable 1 GB of RAM won’t get us anywhere.

The only advice I can give you is to stay away from too many widgets, apps in the background and definitely from 3rd party keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.