Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
If you're running an iPhone app and it needs you to use the keyboard for input, will it pop-up a "blown-up" version of the iPhone keyboard? or the default iPad keyboard?

Especially, if you're in the mode where the iPhone app is "true size", and centered on the iPad screen, which keyboard will pop-up for text entry?

I'm sure nobody knows, but it's an interesting bit of trivia. I have an app I use often, which requires text input. This app would look pretty bad simply "blown up". However, I want to use the bigger iPad keyboard...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you're running an iPhone app and it needs you to use the keyboard for input, will it pop-up a "blown-up" version of the iPhone keyboard? or the default iPad keyboard?

Especially, if you're in the mode where the iPhone app is "true size", and centered on the iPad screen, which keyboard will pop-up for text entry?

I'm sure nobody knows, but it's an interesting bit of trivia. I have an app I use often, which requires text input. This app would look pretty bad simply "blown up". However, I want to use the bigger iPad keyboard...

There is no way Apple will blow up the thumb keyboard. I'm sure their engineers have thought through this. The iPhone apps are in a simulator of sorts, that is already seperate because it has options to blow up the size of the app, or run it small. So it probably calls up the keyboard interface for the iPad, which should be standard and part of the fundamental API.

What I think is cool are the custom keyboards. Apparently Numbers has a custom keyboard that you can switch to for formulas or something? I thought I saw that somewhere anyway...

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
There is no way Apple will blow up the thumb keyboard. I'm sure their engineers have thought through this. The iPhone apps are in a simulator of sorts, that is already seperate because it has options to blow up the size of the app, or run it small. So it probably calls up the keyboard interface for the iPad, which should be standard and part of the fundamental API.

What I think is cool are the custom keyboards. Apparently Numbers has a custom keyboard that you can switch to for formulas or something? I thought I saw that somewhere anyway...

So, you think if you're running an iPhone app in the "1x" mode, a full-sized iPad keyboard will pop-up? (i.e. underneath the tiny app window) There would be plenty of space for it... and I think the app wouldn't have to shrink to allow the keyboard. This would be a big (and welcome) change in how such apps look for textual input.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
So, you think if you're running an iPhone app in the "1x" mode, a full-sized iPad keyboard will pop-up? (i.e. underneath the tiny app window) There would be plenty of space for it... and I think the app wouldn't have to shrink to allow the keyboard. This would be a big (and welcome) change in how such apps look for textual input.

I would be somewhat surprised if this was possible. My guess is that the displaying of the keyboard is too integrated with the code of the rest of the App. Are there any iPhone developers able to chime in?

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I still wonder who would actually use an iphone app in 1x mode? I know it preserves the original resolution, but it just seems strange and absurd to be using this tiny window on such a big screen. I think 99% of people will blow up their iphone apps to 2x size on their ipads and what keyboard will be used will not be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.