Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilovesashimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2023
If I search "iPad" on Amazon right now, the first result is iPad 9, which is only $249.
If I search "MacBook Air" on Amazon right now, the first result is the M1 version, which starts at only $749.

I'm interested in both. These are very good prices (also cheaper than apple.com), presumably because they're about to disappear from apple.com next month when iPad 11 and M3 MacBook Air are announced, so apple is now trying to clear the inventory.

I fear they'll become unavailable next month, so I want to buy them when I can. But on the other hand, I'm hopeful that these prices can drop even further next month when new models are announced.

So, historically, when an old model retires from the Apple store, what happens on Amazon? Specifically, what will happen to the $249 iPad 9 and the $749 M1 MacBook Air on Amazon next month, when they disappear from apple.com?

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
On a product page on Amazon, always check the "seller" in the right hand column. Often products are available from more than one seller. And you need to be sure to check whether the price is for a new item or a used item.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
From experience....
When the M2 iPad Pro was released (and Apple stopped selling the M1), the M1 was available for a few months (in the UK), but quickly sold out (except for the higher storage models).

From what I have read here there was a longer availability in the US, due to larger stocks in a larger country.
Once stock is gone they can't get more from Apple.

Recently I have seen the M2 £100 cheaper from Amazon, but then it's a balancing act, as to how long you wait.
I am intending to get an M2 very soon, as it is very likely the M3 will be much more expensive (but may wait till the event to confirm)....🥴

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.