Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
Yes this is an old topic. Yet, it is so important, and I am so bored, that I have decided to reincarnate it. As a year approaches with the iMac's switch to a G4, many are wondering if the iBook will get a G4 as well. While I have, in the past, said no, I am beginningto think that this is possible. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a statement that the G3 was still a viable processor, but it was not made clear what machine it would be used in. Now that we have the eMac as a rather popular model, even with slightly older technology (CRT, slower processors, etc.) it has been shoun that those wo are looking for a computer aren't looking for a super special in all cases. In this idea, i brin back the eBokk comcept. This could be the use for the G3, and priced well at between $799-1099. It could have the 12.1" screen of the current iBook as the only screen size, have few options. It would be a shiny white. It would look a lot like the current iBook, but maybe with slight differences, yet major emough to call it an all new machine. Im I right in thining this, or am I just being stupid and wasteful in posting this idea at all?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I don't think we will see a "G4 iBook" until the TiBook get's a major upgrade. Why?? if the iBook had a G4 it would compete against the TiBook think about it 700Mhz iBook G4 $1699.00 Vs.TiBook 800Mhz $3500. Would 100Mhz be worth over $2000??

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
um no, that probably is not going to happen. apple has it's high-end laptop and it's more consumer-friendly laptop, I doubt they would introduce a even lower-end model, not even for education purposes. just my 2 cents though.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Doubtful! remember why apple brought out the emac? Because education markets that one the new iMac was a little too expensive, and two, that the display and arm were too fragile for kids to handle. So far, the education market has been really happy with the iBook, and it has been a hot seller even with the old G3 chip. I just don't see them bringing out an even lower end laptop than the iBook unless Apple sees a demand.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
from past experience, saying that apple's *never* going to do [insert here] isn't too smart, but i really think an eBook is quite unlikely. You have to look at the origins of the eMac to really understand. The G4 Flat panel iMac was great for schools under-the-hood, yet the flat panel screen was really unnecessary. Hence the eMac, a fantastic alternative for education. The iBook on the other hand is great for education as is. Until that changes, we're not seeing another laptop in apple's line IMHO.

MacRib

macrumors newbie
Originally posted by Spock
I don't think we will see a "G4 iBook" until the TiBook get's a major upgrade. Why?? if the iBook had a G4 it would compete against the TiBook think about it 700Mhz iBook G4 $1699.00 Vs.TiBook 800Mhz $3500. Would 100Mhz be worth over $2000??

A TiBook major upgrade must be releasing between the next few weeks - why? Go to the Apple homepage, click on "Hardware" and open up your eyes: Where's the TiBook? Only listed by a hyperlink...mmmh.

Logically, the next generation MUST have an 800 (or 867) MHZ lower price model TiBook and a 1MHZ high-end TiBook.

Next iBook generation (maybe in January 2003?) must have 700 Mhz entry-version and 867 or 900 MHZ high-end.

That's what my knowledge says.

There are still other details in equipment that positionate the TiBook above the iBook: Think of the better graphic device, more Ram, 15 Inch display (next iBook probably has 13 inch only, only in terms of without an alternative), maybe superdrive, maybe wLan, maybe Bluetooth...

MacRib

macrumors newbie
Originally posted by j763
from past experience, saying that apple's *never* going to do [insert here] isn't too smart, but i really think an eBook is quite unlikely. You have to look at the origins of the eMac to really understand. The G4 Flat panel iMac was great for schools under-the-hood, yet the flat panel screen was really unnecessary. Hence the eMac, a fantastic alternative for education. The iBook on the other hand is great for education as is. Until that changes, we're not seeing another laptop in apple's line IMHO.

The iBook has - unfortunately and at least at the moment - the performance semiprofessionals demand. I would like a book for homerecording, university ... I would buy the iBook even today, if its performance (benchmarks) was a little better and the Display had one inch more. So I wait until apple presents the next generation. Even bluetooth was an great addition.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by MacRib

A TiBook major upgrade must be releasing between the next few weeks - why? Go to the Apple homepage, click on "Hardware" and open up your eyes: Where's the TiBook? Only listed by a hyperlink...mmmh.
Not this again...THAT MEANS NOTHING! Its been like that since the new powermacs came out, almost two months ago. (sorry, this has been discussed many times before)

Logically, the next generation MUST have an 800 (or 867) MHZ lower price model TiBook and a 1MHZ high-end TiBook.
Not necessarily. The top end model could just be the 933 MHz model. :( And one can only guess on the prices.

Next iBook generation (maybe in January 2003?) must have 700 Mhz entry-version and 867 or 900 MHZ high-end.
Or...the high-end model could just be a 800 MHz model.

Sorry, I'm just bringing the expectations down a little. I haven't seen Apple yet give us the speed we want, so these are more realistic.

What are realistic predictions doing on a rumor site! :eek:

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002

i did think about it. and i didn't mean now, i meant when the TiBook was updated.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
The name eBook is already taken. However, I believe Apple could do better with three different lines of laptops. Leave the PowerBook as the high-end and include everything a high-end notebook should have. Then, make the iBook 12-13"-es with a lower G4, slower FSB, less VRAM etc,...but make it good enough to be used by professionals even if the price goes up a little. Then make a new entry level laptop... $999. G3, processor etc. It could work. Not everybody who wants a G4 notebook wants a TiBook...it is too damn wide. I prefer a smaller laptop.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I think Apple should just dump the iBook line and focus on making the TiBook cheaper I think apple should stop with the stupid Pretty cases and make a real laptop a person can afford. And I know that they won't dump the iBook but would it kill them to add a PCMiCA slot??

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I think Apple should just dump the iBook line and focus on making the TiBook cheaper I think apple should stop with the stupid Pretty cases and make a real laptop a person can afford. And I know that they won't dump the iBook but would it kill them to add a PCMiCA slot??

This is just not too smart... you want Apple to have even fewer choices? just because you want a PC Card slot? Why do you even need it these days? I think Apple could greatly benefit from having three laptop lines... If they have one laptop...believe me it will not be cheap...even the low-end model.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
yeah apple would really benefit from 3 diffrent lines

Attachments

• applecalvin.jpg
    applecalvin.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,088

iMax

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2002
SF Bay Area
The product matrix as it is doesn't really match up.

the ibook is a notebook still perrellelling the old iMac - it also costs less than the new iMac, and doesnt have a g4, or the same cockspeeds.

the powerbook, at this point, is basically a portable new iMac.... 15: screen, 800mhz g4. the only real difference is the level 3 cache.

the main factor keeping the Tibook from being a performance monster that competes with the PowerMacs is the fact that is has to be thin and light. That also keeps the price up.

What if apple introduced a thicker laptop with a bigger battery and a superdrive, better cooling system, faster processors, etc? It would kick the arse of anything else on the market, and would serve as a true desktop replacement. perhaps it could even have 2 processors, but only activate one when it's running on battery, or something like that. There are plenty of PC manufacturers that have sub notebooks, thin and light notebooks, and a desktop replacement.

Why not apple? with their talent for design and execution, it would blow anything else out of the water.

-iMax

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
Originally posted by iMax
the ibook is a notebook still perrellelling the old iMac - it also costs less than the new iMac, and doesnt have a g4, or the same cockspeeds.-iMax

There's only one time I had to worry about different cockspeeds, and it had nothing to do with a computer.

But, seriously, folks...

I think a desktop-replacement book would be nice, but only as an adjunct to the current or similar TiBook... there's not a whole lot of competition on the PC side (it seems you either have lower-end iBook-like books, or big heavy power-sucking monsters.)

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
What if apple introduced a thicker laptop with a bigger battery and a superdrive, better cooling system, faster processors, etc? It would kick the arse of anything else on the market, and would serve as a true desktop replacement. perhaps it could even have 2 processors, but only activate one when it's running on battery, or something like that. There are plenty of PC manufacturers that have sub notebooks, thin and light notebooks, and a desktop replacement.

The best thing about the TiBook is that is a sub-notebook and still a desktop replacement. I wouldn't have gotten it if it weighed an extra 2-3 lbs, was significantly thicker (1-2 in), and ran so hot because of the 2 processors. I would like a larger battery and perhaps a superdrive (in all honesty, i probably wouldn't use it, but show it off). Nevertheless, the TiBook is great because it is easy to carry around (to those who say it isn't, i have no problems whatsoever).

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Apple should not make the same mistake as PC companies are right now. Laptops are made to be portable...not break backs. 8-9lb laptops are a joke. They are just light desktops. The TiBook is a great design. Sure, if Apple has to go to 1.2" thick to make improvements (superdrive, better fan etc)...that would be ok...but anything more is a step backwards.

zorblaz

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2002
Syracuse NY
well, the eMac was made because of the cost difference between the CRT display & an LCD display- when a school is buying computers, this price difference can pay for another whole computer when buying in quantity. So there is a reason to specifically bring out a different line. If there were to be a lower end ibook, it would simply be called an ibook. (maybe if there were some different type of display for laptops where an LCD screen would save people (schools?) money, we'd prolly see something like an ebook
(doesn't that "e" stand for education? I thought it did.... and which schools actually have a lab full of laptops?)

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by zorblaz
[B/](doesn't that "e" stand for education? I thought it did.... and which schools actually have a lab full of laptops?) [/B]

Actually when i was in 8th grade (2 years ago) my middle school bought 15 clamshell iBooks, at about 2 grand apiece. now, if they were cheaper, we obviously could have gotten more. anyway, even if a lot of schools dont use laptops, with the introduction of a cheaper laptop line-eBook, the laptops could be used in the classroom more. I don't think that this is such a bad idea.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
well, the eMac was made because of the cost difference between the CRT display & an LCD display- when a school is buying computers, this price difference can pay for another whole computer when buying in quantity. So there is a reason to specifically bring out a different line. If there were to be a lower end ibook, it would simply be called an ibook. (maybe if there were some different type of display for laptops where an LCD screen would save people (schools?) money, we'd prolly see something like an ebook
(doesn't that "e" stand for education? I thought it did.... and which schools actually have a lab full of laptops?)

the "e" has lost it's meaning. it was originally meant for educational markets, hence, eMac. however, now that its available to all markets, the "e" could very well mean economical. they do tout it as the lowest cost new G4 system you can buy.

but the way, my lab has 30 laptops, which a set of 8 exclusively for my research class. thats one and a third of the labs.

stergz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2002
Melbourne
iBook not cheaper that iMac

I love the iBook but it is definately not cheaper than the iMac in Australia. I have looked around and it, (the iBook) seems to be about $500AUD dearer than anywhere else, exchange rate adjusted.

A basic iBook costs $2795 and thats with G3 600 + 20GB + 12"TFT + 128MB + CDROM, while an iMac basic costs $2595 with G4 700 + 40GB + 15"TFT + GeForceMX + CD-RW + 128MB. This has got to change apple!!!

RowdyFROG

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2002
Fremantle AUS, where else?
I love the iBook but it is definately not cheaper than the iMac in Australia. I have looked around and it, (the iBook) seems to be about $500AUD dearer than anywhere else, exchange rate adjusted.

A basic iBook costs $2795 and thats with G3 600 + 20GB + 12"TFT + 128MB + CDROM, while an iMac basic costs $2595 with G4 700 + 40GB + 15"TFT + GeForceMX + CD-RW + 128MB. This has got to change apple!!!

Yep, the darn things are even put together closer by than the US.

But don't old your breath. Apple Aus has never been good value (for price or service) and this will not change in a hurry

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Originally posted by JSRockit

This is just not too smart... you want Apple to have even fewer choices? just because you want a PC Card slot? Why do you even need it these days?

I have to agree with this opinion. At my work, the only thing that PC laptops use their PCMCIA slots for are connectivity options. By this I mean Ethernet, modem, WI-FI. All of these are accounted for in an iBook without needing a PCMCIA slot. Cutting edge/emerging technologies use PC card slots, but these are usually for a very work specific application, and since an iBook is for someone that needs to be able to do basic computer functions on the road, it is not necessary for the iBook platform in general.

RL

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
well, the eMac was made because of the cost difference between the CRT display & an LCD display- when a school is buying computers, this price difference can pay for another whole computer when buying in quantity.

My understanding was that the eMac was developed internally by Apple as a fall back should the new iMac not be "ready for PrimeTime," and was only diverted to education instead of the scrap heap after concerns as to the iMac's suitability for a classroom environment. I may be mistaken in this understanding, so please, correct me if I am wrong.

RL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.