Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Those who have owned both, Space Black stainless and Space Gray aluminum, from S0-S3, knowing what you know from experience and knowing the S4 costs $749 and $529 respectively, which do you buy and why? Why did you switch from one to another? Did you switch back/want to switch back? I am asking specifically about SBSS vs SGA, in part because I want to know about the real-world durability of the SB DLC.

Can you justify spending $750+ for a smart watch? Can you justify spending $530+ for an aluminum smart watch when you can get a stainless watch for a few hundred more? Will the extra $200 get you an extra year or two of use out of it? Does the extra $200 get cut to $120 because you don’t need to buy AppleCare for the stainless, or do you need AppleCare anyway? Thanks for your responses.

MickeyVee

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
There is no once and for all..
It really depends on your personal use case...
I had a S0 AL and up until a couple of days ago, the SG S2.. just got the SS SB S4 and Love It!
I'm in a fortunate position where I can see both.. S2 SG for workout and chores around the house and the S4 SB for work and dress. I also have an Omega SeaMaster for very special occasions..
Ok.. down the the basics.. from a monetary POV, if I only had to have one watch, it would be the S4 Nike SG edition. It would serve my purpose for work, notifications, activities {I'm a cyclist and workout 3x a week} and would have one dress band and one sports band.

There is one 'Once and for All' universal answer. It depends on what you can afford and your personal uses.
I'm quite fortunate that I can have a 'dress version' and a 'sports version'.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I’ve owned two Space Black stainless models and they’re awesome. The resell value however is garbage.

Bought the Space Grey aluminum for the S4 and it’s the first aluminum I’ve owned. It’s fine still the same watch function wise. Only thing I don’t like is it has no weight. It doesn’t feel luxurious. I’m used to watches having some weight to them. Lastly for the price I really wish they would have put a sapphire crystal on the aluminum face, it’s no longer a cheapish watch. But it’s fine, I’ll deal with it. Resell value is $25 less than the stainless so with that it’s already better than the stainless watch. We just don’t keep them long enough to pay for the luxurious versions. 2 years max given the battery and SOC upgrades. Also I work in office environments, no one here buys the stainless. I was the only one and I’ve only ever seen one other stainless in the wild. No one even noticed you have a different model AW than theirs. So who cares, go with the cheaper one.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I’ve owned two Space Black stainless models and they’re awesome. The resell value however is garbage.

Bought the Space Grey aluminum for the S4 and it’s the first aluminum I’ve owned. It’s fine still the same watch function wise. Only thing I don’t like is it has no weight. It doesn’t feel luxurious. I’m used to watches having some weight to them. Lastly for the price I really wish they would have put a sapphire crystal on the aluminum face, it’s no longer a cheapish watch. But it’s fine, I’ll deal with it. Resell value is $25 less than the stainless so with that it’s already better than the stainless watch. We just don’t keep them long enough to pay for the luxurious versions. 2 years max given the battery and SOC upgrades. Also I work in office environments, no one here buys the stainless. I was the only one and I’ve only ever seen one other stainless in the wild. No one even noticed you have a different model AW than theirs. So who cares, go with the cheaper one.

Haha! This is true for me too! I work at a fortune 500 company and I’ve seen guys wear full suits and have an aluminum Apple Watch with the black/neon green sports band.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ

Yeah until you gently brush up against any hard surface and scratch the IONx glass. Stainless all day thanks to the sapphire but I see your point

Reactions: jschu22

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I only buy SS because I like the way they look (including SBSS) and I like the crystal screen and the weight. For me, a "boardroom-appropriate" watch is important. But don't do it for value -- you won't get extra years out of it and it won't hold much of its value over time. Do it if the watch is worth that much more to you *right now.*

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I do like both. Don’t get me wrong and the stainless is my fav. But due to the often upgrades I find it not worth the extra $$$.

Last edited:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Stainless resale really kills it. You have to be comfortable with the idea that the premium you pay over the aluminum is a sunk cost and you will not see that when it comes time to sell. In the end, it honestly is not worth it. I am normally ok with paying a premium for Apple products, but the watch is a bridge too far. It is grossly overpriced, as are the bands, and none of it (the watch nor the bands) holds value like a regular Apple product.

Also, Apple not putting sapphire on $400 watch is an absolute joke.

Reactions: Mabus51

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I had the s2 SS and loved it. Then I got the s3 in aluminum and the screen scratched super easy so I got the s4 in stainless.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Once and for all.... until someone posts another thread asking the same thing in about 30 minutes or so.

And SS all the way, in terms of quality, how is this even a question?

Reactions: swandy and mjr1000

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I do like both. Don’t get me wrong and the stainless is my fav. But due to the often upgrades I find it not worth the extra $$$.

I suspect that with the price hike with the stainless as it has been now over the last few years, more Apple Watch up-graders will backtrack to the aluminum model because of the influx of price. When the Apple Watch first started, it was at $600 for the stainless and now it’s increased to $750 for the 44 MM.

I think it depends what one is willing to spend, but the major benefit being the aesthetics and sapphire display, everything else is the same in performance and watchOS.

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah until you gently brush up against any hard surface and scratch the IONx glass. Stainless all day thanks to the sapphire but I see your point

The 'sapphire' on the SS models scratches at the same threshold as the IonX glass - level 6 on the Mohs scale (instead of 7+ like on a true sapphire crystal.)

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I only buy SS because I like the way they look (including SBSS) and I like the crystal screen and the weight. For me, a "boardroom-appropriate" watch is important. But don't do it for value -- you won't get extra years out of it and it won't hold much of its value over time. Do it if the watch is worth that much more to you *right now.*
You don’t think the stainless buys you another year purely because of the added durability of the materials? I want to get 3 years out of this watch. What do I do? Is it even possible?
[doublepost=1538880302][/doublepost]
Also, Apple not putting sapphire on $400 watch is an absolute joke.
That’s really part of my logic here. Both watches are overpriced. But $529 for an aluminum watch feels like a complete ripoff while for $200 more at least I’m getting the premium materials. The S3 almunimim LTE was $429. That’s the sweet spot for aluminum. $100 more for the S4 aluminum just feels wrong.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Hyperbole much?
[doublepost=1538880836][/doublepost]
Haha! This is true for me too! I work at a fortune 500 company and I’ve seen guys wear full suits and have an aluminum Apple Watch with the black/neon green sports band.
Yes, in the environments I've see, "sports" looking watches (band) seem to be well accepted even in formal business situations. Largely since it speaks to the wearer's supposed focus on fitness.
[doublepost=1538881036][/doublepost]
Stainless resale really kills it. You have to be comfortable with the idea that the premium you pay over the aluminum is a sunk cost and you will not see that when it comes time to sell.

IMHO when we get more mature in the product and the annual changes are less impactful -- leading folks to being more likely to keep the watch for 2-3year, then the SS premium will both be more worth it and the resale won't be as awful.

For now now, it's an extra $200+ per year you're spending and will never see again. Depends some on your situation. I'm not digging into engine/mechanical parts all day every day and I don't often run into concrete walls, so my aluminum watches have survived a year's use in good shape prior to resale.

All that said, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't switch if a SBSS shows up during my return period... LOL

Last edited:

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
Hyperbole much?
[doublepost=1538880836][/doublepost]
Yes, in the environments I've see, "sports" looking watches (band) seem to be well accepted even in formal business situations. Largely since it speaks to the wearer's supposed focus on fitness.
[doublepost=1538881036][/doublepost]

That has been my observation as well. We have moved past the whole what’s acceptable/unacceptable to wear in a particular setting with products like the Apple Watch, fitbit, etc. I’ve seen professionals wear the aluminum watches/fitbit with their business attire, and one of my professors wear a gold aluminum as well. I believe people do not think any less of a person if they’re wearing an aluminum watch, nor think highly of them if they’re wearing the stainless version, in any type of setting. They have more important things to be concerned about than a person’s choice in wearable tech. The overall opinion on it has been very neutral.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
They have more important things to be concerned about than a person’s choice in wearable tech.

+1000

Though admittedly, I'm one who's been wearing sports watches in business settings since 2006 (Polar RS200SD) with a DGAF attitude. Anyone who wants to negatively judge me for wearing a sport/running watch isn't someone whose opinion matters to me. My choice of watch has no bearing on my ability to get sht done for the company.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree it all comes down to a personal choice. Period done.

My perspective, I sat on the fence until S2 and realized how much I like Apple Watch. I rarely if ever wear anything else. While I love the look of SS, I don't need or want LTE, but I sure would prefer sapphire over X-Ion if given a choice. Add to that this is a piece of technology that will at some point become obsolete and I'd rather just not spend the money on SS for a year or two or four.

A traditional, automatic, mechanical, or even quartz watch on the other hand won't require updates so from my perspective would be worth spending money on.

So for me it's space gray aluminum and I'm happy enough with that. I'm going to a conference for my company next week and will undoubtedly see plenty of Apple Watches worn by employees and executives, many, many of which will be aluminum with sport bands. They've become mainstream and quite accepted, at least in the circles I'm involved with.

Reactions: satchmo

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 'sapphire' on the SS models scratches at the same threshold as the IonX glass - level 6 on the Mohs scale (instead of 7+ like on a true sapphire crystal.)

Not to be dismissive, but I don’t care what that video shows, it doesn’t translate to real world usage with the Sport model and stainless model watch. There are more than dozens of threads on here for those who have use the Ion – X Glass and sapphire display with the stainless model, and the stainless has held up to its own in terms of being almost impervious to scratches, where the Ion-X Glass is inferior to the sapphire display.

And for my own personal experience, the Ion – X Glass was a huge disappointment in how easily it scratched when I did own it until I upgraded to the stainless model.

Reactions: mattwestside

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
You don’t think the stainless buys you another year purely because of the added durability of the materials? I want to get 3 years out of this watch. What do I do? Is it even possible?

Actually, if you're talking about durability and not future-proofing, then my comment wasn't a very good one. My S2 SS is pristine -- the screen doesn't have a single scratch. A SS body picks up some minor scratches, but they are easy to buff out. And my battery still lasts me through the day (I charge overnight), so I think you easily could get three years. Apologies for what may have been an unhelpful comment.

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Not to be dismissive, but I don’t care what that video shows, it doesn’t translate to real world usage with the Sport model and stainless model watch. There are more than dozens of threads on here for those who have use the Ion – X Glass and sapphire display with the stainless model, and the stainless has held up to its own in terms of being almost impervious to scratches, where the Ion-X Glass is inferior to the sapphire display.

And for my own personal experience, the Ion – X Glass was a huge disappointment in how easily it scratched when I did own it until I upgraded to the stainless model.

Not dismissive at all - we each have different opinions and use cases for the watch. For me, it wasn't worth paying extra for the sapphire if (1) it's not true sapphire and (2) it scratches at the same level as the regular glass.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
What I really wanna know is, is space actually gray, or is it black? Which color better represents space? Is it both? Should it maybe be Outer Space Black and Inner Space Gray? And is Space Black darker than a black hole? If not, maybe it should be Inner Space Gray and Black Hole Black.

These questions plague me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What I really wanna know is, is space actually gray, or is it black? Which color better represents space? Is it both? Should it maybe be Outer Space Black and Inner Space Gray? And is Space Black darker than a black hole? If not, maybe it should be Inner Space Gray and Black Hole Black.

These questions plague me.

I would be happy to elaborate on your question(s).

Space gray (Or as you refer to it, Inner space Gray), more specifically to the sport model Apple Watch, is more of a ‘matte black’, but Apple just decided to call it ‘space gray’ because of the elongated history that it has behind the iPhone.

Space black (Or as you refer to it, Black hole black’)for the Apple Watch, is more of a high-gloss black, similar to what you would see for vehicle paint, but has the opportunity to change Hues and tones under different ambient lighting, more specifically, on a cloudy day, it almost looks like a milky gray, and on a bright sunny day or under a well lit environment, it has a very high-gloss shine.

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
i switched from the space grey aluminum to the space black stainless steel, and while i love the weight and look of the SS, the $200 that apple charges for the $3 difference in materials is absurd. the exclusivity is nice and that's worth something, too.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Had nothing but SS models and even got a gold SS this time around. They are beautiful but lose their value more then a new car! I like to upgrade yearly and with the sport models that it easily done with minimal loss in value for resale.

I find them to be durable and haven't found the huge differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.