Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
A great saga begins.

Ok, here's my story.

I finally switched to Apple just on my birthday in late august. I got me a fine Macbook Pro (2.2 SR) in exchange for my old Toshiba Portege M400. I was so thrilled and happy when the ups driver rang the door bell. I ripped open the box and stared at my new toy.

Thats the happy part.

The sad thing is, that damned thing worked for merely 7 hours. (I got it at around 4pm, played with it till ca. 10pm). I closed the lid as I always do before I go to sleep. The MBP took some time to go to sleep but after a short period the light was "breathing".
The next day I wanted to continue my transision but first I got a kernel panic. No problem - just restart. Things happens. But that was the first fault.
When I finally got the thing running again I saw that my wireless connection wasn't working. I clicked on the little wireless thingy in the menu bar and nothing happens. The little rotating beach ball appears and after 30 seconds the menu pops up. Strange - but it doesn't stop there.
I can't set up a wireless connection. It refuses everything. I type in the correct information (SSID, WEP key), and then again the beach ball for 30 secs to a minute. Nothings works.

I tried bootcamp, but that doesn't help. Erase and install neither.

So I called Apple, they gave me the standard "have you tried another router? what about no encryption?" blabla. They keep me a full 90min on the line (cost me damn 10 euro!) just to tell me "we are sorry, but you have to bring your macbook to a apple partner in your town."

So I did. Three days later I get another phone call (this time from the apple partner) and they say "yeah, there's something defective. Send it back to the retailer for a exchange". I did that as well (cost me another 8 euro).

Now the funny part: the shop where I exchanged my old notebook against the macbook tells me, they have to send the macbook to an apple partner to get a certificate that they are allowed to exchange it.

That was around 14 days ago. Last thursday I get another call. They have it back and the apple partner they send it to says "No defect".

Great! I call apple service again, this time a technican tells me, that he will call the local apple partner, so that I will hopefully get a working unit soon.

I'm pissed. I'm sooooo pissed. I paied (minus the exchange) 1022 euro for that thing and I don't even get my free 90 day telephone support!

In case you wonder: I registered here just to tell you my story!

Anyway, I'll update here, if anything happens.

Rube

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Sorry to hear this, I know how that frustration feels.

My advice is to get some space on the issue and try to think about it as logically as possible. Getting upset is not going to help you out. I'd talk to Apple about your experience again but not until you were devoid of emotion. Whatever happens, happens but use your intellect to see what you can scavenge from the situation you are finding yourself in.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Whenever I click the Airport icon on the menubar it almost never responds immediately.

The issue you have described may as well be a problem with your router. Have you tried resetting it? Or at least unplugging it for two minutes then plugging it back in? Have you tried going to your local library (assuming they have WiFi) or whatever hotspot in your area and attempt to connect to their network?

Seems those are two steps you could have taken before sending your machine off to Applecare.

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
@KingYaba: Oh I've tried everything possible. I got an old 11mbit router, set it up with everything open (no encryption, SSID visible) on all channles. I installed 3 different firmwares on my main router (Linksys WRT54GL: Linksys original, OpenWRT, Tomato). I even called a buddy to come over with his G4 ibook to try an adhoc connection. Even went to the university and tried connecting to the Cisco router there. Nothing works. The same error keeps appearing. So I think it's not really a router problem :) Hey, that was the first thing I did, and that the apple care guys mentioned.

@Rube: Yeah, I know! It's really hard to constrain myself sometimes. But most of the time, I look at it the funny way. Viewed from an outside standpoint it has some sort of comedic touch.

Just as a sidenote: I've done some more testing. And I think I've pinpointed the fault.

Last night, I thought, I should give Windows another try (I know, I'm weak ;-) ), and suddenly, just after the installation of Windows and the drivers, my wireless connection worked! It has something to do with heat.
When the macbook is cold, wireless doesn't work. If I run an CPU extensive programm (like super pi or so) and the MBP get's warm, magically the wireless connection can be established.

Sadly I was up until now only able to get this to work under Windows because I don't know any cpu heat producing programms under OSX.

You know, it's a good feeling to know at least a way to use my MBP the way it was intended. I just should not forget the warming flask (?).

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Did you try to reset PRAM and SMC?

Reinstalling Mac OS X?

I know you just 'converted' but these are the main things to usually do when problems arises. If the problem/s persists after trying these things I would contact AppleCare.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
#1. why did you have to pay for phone support?

#2. why did you have to pay to send it back?

#3. you should have just returned it and canceled your order. then just bought another one. would have been less of a hassle.

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
@Pressur: Yes, I did reset both of them. And I have installed OSX at least 4 times with "Erase and Install". And I have contacted them - they said they will do something. I hope they do it fast! (I need my macbook in a few weeks for the university)

@theman:
1. Because Apple states here in Germany, that if a call is "complete or just for a hint how to set up things" it is not covered with the free 90 day support. As I understand, they can decide wheter or not its free. And to my protection against other german users here: I called the 01805 number, as this is the only number I found.

2. Ask the retailer! They suck ass concerning service! The dude that told me on the phone, that they had to pay for the test was blaming me! Like I was the problem.

3. I did! Thats what I wanted. Then the ******** started with "we have to send it to an apple partner to test it". Seems it has something to do with DOA-certificate.

@alljunks: I did. They gave it back and said: send it back :)

Marlat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Germany
I hope no one else has to go thru the same stuff I have to go.

I have found a workaround, so I can use it at home. The solution isn't very portable but oh well :)

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I'm sorry things didn't worked as you expected.

I'm from Austria and we also don't have an official apple store here. The retail stores suck sometimes, it took me 2 with really bad service to find one that's actually pretty good. The employees know what they are talking about, give good and honest advice and if something breaks do everything they can do to.

I guess if the store you bought it from doesn't help you could just try a different one. Since apple has international warranty it doesn't matter where you bought it. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.