Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rebani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
Hi all

I only have one Apple ID, i use on my iPhone, Mac, iPad, Watch etc.
I still have a lot of my old iPhones (3, 4, 5 etc.). I think it could be funny to set them up again.

Is it a bad idea to use my Apple ID on these iPhones? So I have the same Apple ID on several iPhones? Or should I create a new Apple ID, a kind of testing ID, or "just-for-fun" ID?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Hi all

I still have a lot of my old iPhones (3, 4, 5 etc.). I think it could be funny to set them up again.

Is it a bad idea to use my Apple ID on these iPhones? So I have the same Apple ID on several iPhones? Or should I create a new Apple ID, a kind of testing ID, or "just-for-fun" ID?
It's only you who will be using these devices? If so, then I don't see any issue. In fact my opinion would be that having multiple Apple IDs is going to give you a lot of complication and grief.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all

I have my same AppleID set up on my 3GS, my 4, my 4s, my 5, my 6s+, my 11PM, my 6th gen iPad and all my Macs.

It's useful to be able to use the same ID whenever I am using one of those devices.

Be aware though, that if you do this with devices running older versions of iOS, and have 2FA active, you're going to need to add the code that you get to the password for your Apple ID.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It's only you who will be using these devices? If so, then I don't see any issue. In fact my opinion would be that having multiple Apple IDs is going to give you a lot of complication and grief.
With one extra Apple ID for contents from another region is generally manageable imo. Tho this use case doesn’t always work for everyone.

Reactions: Rebani

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It would only be a bad idea to have your id on devices that others use, as long as it’s all in your possession I don’t see a problem.

Rebani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
Yes, it’s only my devices, so no orher will use it. OK thanks, as long as it doesn’t make any problems, I will use my only Apple ID for them all.

Rebani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
Thanks for the answers. One gave me a hint, that I could make a Apple ID for another region, to explore that contebt. Maybe I will do that.

Or else I’m just gonna ude my only Apple ID on all devices ??

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
On my active devices I currently use, they’re all signed in to my one Apple ID (which is how it was intended to be used). All other devices, like old non active devices, I sign them out of iCloud entirely - my Apple ID is not associated with them.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
iCloud Keychain will have you sign in between older and newer devices as you use them, and HomeKit might not work on newer devices until you’ve signed in again. That alone has made me think of setting up a second Apple ID to use with my older devices.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I don’t see why it would mess anything up.
Not suggesting it would mess anything up, necessarily. it just complicates things, and if you want to take advantage of iCloud storage, or subscriptions you have with Apple or that are linked to your Apple ID, then I don't know that those could be used with a device with a different Apple ID. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: nintendoswitch

Rebani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
iCloud Keychain will have you sign in between older and newer devices as you use them, and HomeKit might not work on newer devices until you’ve signed in again. That alone has made me think of setting up a second Apple ID to use with my older devices.
That's a good point. One of the things I was wondering about, was if it could manage that I'm ex. running iOS8 on some devices, and the newest iOS15 on other devices.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It's more about one Apple ID per user, regardless of the number of devices. If you're the user of all those phones, then yes, use 1 Apple ID on them so you can enjoy seamless integration between all those devices. Any different user should have his/her own separate Apple ID.

Rebani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
It's more about one Apple ID per user, regardless of the number of devices. If you're the user of all those phones, then yes, use 1 Apple ID on them so you can enjoy seamless integration between all those devices. Any different user should have his/her own separate Apple ID.
OK! So when I’m using my iPhone 3GS with iOS6 for some fun, with the same Apple ID as on my iPhone 13, there will be no “confusion” between them?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
OK! So when I’m using my iPhone 3GS with iOS6 for some fun, with the same Apple ID as on my iPhone 13, there will be no “confusion” between them?
Any basic things will probably work, but features that already deprecated older iOS version won't. For example, notes made with newer iOS versions might not be supported on the older iphone, older iphones won't have access to icloud drive, etc. But contacts, calendar, and icloud mail will probably sync just fine.

Reactions: ericwn

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
One thing you may notice with iMessages on older versions of iOS is that if someone 'likes' your message you'll see an actual notification in the thread. For instance, 'X liked your message'. On newer versions of iOS you'd actually see the icon or indicator for that.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
No problems here ?

0F3F6BE2-A17A-4C70-AF52-2D5A51F95DA3.png

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
But contacts, calendar, and icloud mail will probably sync just fine

Only mail will sync. Syncing Calendars, Contacts, Keychain and Safari bookmarks with newer versions of iOS starting at least at iOS 13 was intentionally disabled by Apple on iOS 9 and below.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
There may be benefits to using a separate account. Such as being able to add contacts or other info that does’t taint you normal iCloud with useless test data.

Plus you can use Family Sharing so that your alt account has access to all your purchases and services from your main account.

It’s just an option to consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.