Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard3589

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
UK
Hi.Sorry if my post is not suitable for this forum. But I cannot find a more suitable forum.

Is it common, or reasonable, or is their mileage, for an app company (conceiving the app concept and getting a developer to write the code) to be no more than a one-man outfit?

I think the answer is yes. Your comments appreciated.Thank you.

EDIT: I wonder where such a question might be better posted.

Last edited:

richard3589

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
UK
I think the answer must be "yes" because:

Instapaper; Urban Dictionary; PadMapper; PlentyofFish; Tweetie (Atebits); Techmeme; Tiny Wings; BigOven.com; NewsBlur.com; Todoist.com; Purlem.com; Judge.me; Post Around Me (Local Pinboard); and Apartable.com - are examples of one-man startups - apparently.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Possible, yes, easy, no and the more time passes the harder it gets.
Take it from me, I spend a ridiculous amount of time every day working on apps, trying to do promotion and everything else and for the majority of it you get nowhere. Of course that could just be my apps :D but I refuse to give up.

If you've got a good idea, the skill, money and the time to see it through then I say go for it. But don't depend on it to be a source of revenue you can comfortably live off. If it happens, awesome, but the odds are stacked against us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.