Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Here's what I'd like to see - is it realistic or out of the question?

Make the 2.0 and 2.3 dual cores into quad cores, keep at same price points ($2k and $2.5k). Drop the price of the 2.5 quad core down to $3k. While the new intel imacs are compelling, I still want a g5 (quad core of course though).

Oh, and while they're at it, drop the 23" ACD to sub 1k and the 20" to $700. :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Apple have officialy said they will have all of their machines running Intel by the end of the year, I don't see any more PPC updates for any of the machines coming.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
It seems very unlikely we will see anymore PPC products being released, i would expect the next Powermac to be released within 6-8 months and have some crazy intel next gen chip inside,

SHadoW

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
i'm curious on how sales of their dual core g5's are right now. based on the keynote, the imacs with duo chips would seem to be nearing the same speed (though I know in reality it depends what you're doing with it and i'm pretty sure that the dual cores are still faster). i can see that apple will probably want to push the sales of their new intel based products. i wonder if they'll do anything if sales slump because people looking into the powermac g5 line are now waiting for the rest of the line to be updated since jobs said it'll be done by the end of the year.

okay, so no more development on the current g5 line - how about a price drop? I'd be okay with that. :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
turtlebud said:
i'm curious on how sales of their dual core g5's are right now. based on the keynote, the imacs with duo chips would seem to be nearing the same speed (though I know in reality it depends what you're doing with it and i'm pretty sure that the dual cores are still faster). i can see that apple will probably want to push the sales of their new intel based products. i wonder if they'll do anything if sales slump because people looking into the powermac g5 line are now waiting for the rest of the line to be updated since jobs said it'll be done by the end of the year.

okay, so no more development on the current g5 line - how about a price drop? I'd be okay with that. :)

They seem very strong - I know several peopel that have bought them, and several clients who loaded up with them as soon as they were announced.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
but always remember the Core Duo is NOT 64bit, so its not going to be a render machine that uses it. Sure you can do FCP editing etc, but you wont get great times without 8GBs of RAM when you are doing HD.

They are nice chips, but as the Keynote said, they are low wattage chips. They wont use that kind of crap in a workhorse (i.e. the new Intel Mac tower), when its plugged into the wall with hungry apps.

in essence the next Towers, whatever they are called, are coming sooner than we think and will have some new kind of chip we havent seen yet.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I disagree, I think we will see one more marginal update to the line before the Intel machines come out - even if it is just in the form of a video card refresh or marginal speed bump. I realize Jobs indicated all systems would be Intel by the end of 2006, but I still have concerns with respect to the Conroe/Woodcrest timelines, (since that is what will be going into the PowerMacs and Xserves), and whether or not Apple will be able to implement these chips in time for December 31 2006. They may end up waiting on Intel for this one...

WWDC would be the logical time to announce Intel PowerMacs, however I think that will be too soon, unless Apple announces them with shipping dates out 4 months. Therefore, I see a PowerPC PowerMac update in the spring or at WWDC instead. Of course there always is the Paris Expo as well... Regardless, I don't see Intel PowerMacs hitting the shelf until December 2006, and ergo I don't see Apple leaving the line untouched for 11 months until that time. :cool:

weeag

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2005
new Intel dual-core vs current G5 dual-core

Ok, so to add to the discussion, I've been looking around and didn't see any thoughts on how these new Intel dual-cores will compare to the current G5 dual-cores. Note, I'm not speaking on the ones in the iMac but whatever they will put in the PM's. Are we going to see a big performance increase with this first batch of Intel PowerMacs? Basic question of do we wait for the Intel PM's and suffer with sluggish CS2 and Dreamweaver performance (what I use a lot) until the Universal comes out, or go ahead and get the G5 and get good performance now but a slower computer once the Universals are out..

If it's a repeat question.... "Flame on!" (oh, but do point me to the current discussion :) )

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Don M. said:
Yea, the next PM update (Mac Pro?) will probably be Intel. W00t! Then I can buy one! (I'm done w/ G5.)

Don't be so quick to write off the G5, it is a great processor and was a huge step forward in Macintosh performance.

We've yet seen anything that will truly give us performance comparisons between the G5 and whatever chip will be replacing it. I'm willing to bet that it will not be as big of gains as was the case with the G4 and the Core Duos, because the Duos replaced a severely aged chip.

dredakiss

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
we gotta get out of here!
quads across the line?

While quads across the g5's seem unlikely, I think apple may do that with the release of the intel powermac (mac top pro?). With the more affordable imac sporting a dual core, it makes sense to put quads across the line. I dont know too much about the technical side, so anyone tell me if 4 32bit processor could support as much ram, or is the 64 bit necessary?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
dredakiss said:
While quads across the g5's seem unlikely, I think apple may do that with the release of the intel powermac (mac top pro?). With the more affordable imac sporting a dual core, it makes sense to put quads across the line. I dont know too much about the technical side, so anyone tell me if 4 32bit processor could support as much ram, or is the 64 bit necessary?

The first Intel PowerMacs will be utilizing Conroe which is based off Merom which is 64-bit. I don't see dual dual core Conroes in all the PowerMacs, but possibly the high end one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.