Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I use my iPad Pro 2018 for literally everything EXCEPT printing. Almost everyday I have to print materials for my students and often are music sheet PDFs. When I print using air print from my iPad it only lets me select color, range, copies. And by default it puts huge margins and shrinks the size. But when I print from my mac, it obviously lets me select quality, but most importantly scale, fit to page, etc etc. it boggles my mind that I can’t simply choose quality or scale in iOS when printing but can do it on Mac. Anyone know how I can do this on iOS? It’s literally the only reason I turn on my MacBook and I’d rather just do everything on my iPad

kryten3000

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Ecuador (Cotopaxi)
I use my iPad Pro 2018 for literally everything EXCEPT printing. Almost everyday I have to print materials for my students and often are music sheet PDFs. When I print using air print from my iPad it only lets me select color, range, copies. And by default it puts huge margins and shrinks the size. But when I print from my mac, it obviously lets me select quality, but most importantly scale, fit to page, etc etc. it boggles my mind that I can’t simply choose quality or scale in iOS when printing but can do it on Mac. Anyone know how I can do this on iOS? It’s literally the only reason I turn on my MacBook and I’d rather just do everything on my iPad
Agreed, I usually end up going to a cyber cafe around the corner whenever I need to do a print job.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Printing is the Achilles heal for iOS, Android, and Chrome OS. I have not found a way to have desktop-level control of printing on any of those platforms.

Reactions: arefbe

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
In cases where I need scaling, Printer Pro by Readdle does the job just fine for me.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: Jimpilot

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Try printing via your printer’s manufacturer app.
I actually have never found printers that can directly print via AirPrint. All wireless printers that I have encountered want me to print via their app. So far I’ve used Samsung, Canon, and Brother printers. Of course, features will depend on their respective apps, but they might give you more options.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
In cases where I need scaling, Printer Pro by Readdle does the job just fine for me.

Hope it helps.

It does work fairly well. It's close. I do like the Readdle products.
That said I do keep running into items that it gets close but not exact and have to print from my Mac or Thinkpad.
[doublepost=1558666315][/doublepost]
iOS is designed with no professional use in mind yet. Apple might improve it, but onlt time will tell.

Yet Apple keeps pushing it as "Professional" product.
Go figure.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Try printing via your printer’s manufacturer app.
I actually have never found printers that can directly print via AirPrint. All wireless printers that I have encountered want me to print via their app. So far I’ve used Samsung, Canon, and Brother printers. Of course, features will depend on their respective apps, but they might give you more options.
I've got an Epson printer, fairly old one actually, and whilst i've got their app installed to allow me to do scanning in terms of printing it seems to work without any messing about. When i want to print something such as an email or PDF i go to the Share icon at the bottom, choose Print and it finds my printer and i choose print. No messing about doing anything with an app.

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I've got an Epson printer, fairly old one actually, and whilst i've got their app installed to allow me to do scanning in terms of printing it seems to work without any messing about. When i want to print something such as an email or PDF i go to the Share icon at the bottom, choose Print and it finds my printer and i choose print. No messing about doing anything with an app.
same for me with an AirPrint supported HP printer. Only installed their app to quickly scan documents. This works really great, easier than scanning from a pc...

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
same for me with an AirPrint supported HP printer. Only installed their app to quickly scan documents. This works really great, easier than scanning from a pc...
Yep, i set the scan going via the app then i get the option to email it, save locally into the app or upload to a cloud service. I use Dropbox but i think it supports iCloud, OneDrive and probably a few others.

This is the app and whilst its maybe looking a bit old hat in terms of design it works fine.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/epson-iprint/id326876192?mt=8

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
When I print using air print from my iPad it only lets me select color, range, copies. And by default it puts huge margins and shrinks the size.
Hmm? I print loads of stuff from my iPad and iPhone with no problems. The only thing it struggles with, in my experience, is printing pictures. PDFs and Pages docs print completely fine.
I've got an Epson printer, fairly old one actually, and whilst i've got their app installed to allow me to do scanning in terms of printing it seems to work without any messing about
Same here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.