Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajf007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
Hello all,

I'm looking for a tasks app that is a onetime purchase for Mac that also syncs with iOS and Android and does not use iCloud, Dropbox, Google, Microsoft etc. (i.e. the data remains confidential and with me).

For tasks, I currently use (love) Things, but it doesn't sync to other services, so I'm looking for an alternative, and most seem to be subscription models.

For the contacts/calendar apps the two main contenders seem to be BusyCal and BusyContacts.

Thanks so much in advance for your input.

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
So how is it going to sync if it's not using cloud ?

Are you looking for a task / calendar app that would encrypt everything on the device prior to sync ?

And do you trust that 3rd party app over Apple or MS or Google who provide your OS which by design has access to every bit of data on the device ? Are you sure that BusyCal is more trustworthy than Apple when it comes to your data ?

Perhaps look at Proton. Not sure about tasks, but they do offer a calendar.

ajf007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
So how is it going to sync if it's not using cloud ?

Are you looking for a task / calendar app that would encrypt everything on the device prior to sync ?

And do you trust that 3rd party app over Apple or MS or Google who provide your OS which by design has access to every bit of data on the device ? Are you sure that BusyCal is more trustworthy than Apple when it comes to your data ?

Perhaps look at Proton. Not sure about tasks, but they do offer a calendar.
Many thanks. Primarily I want something that isn't syncing through Big Tech, or that everything isn't going through Big Tech, so yes, as a lesser option, encrypted before being sent would be acceptable, but local Sync as 1Password used to do and Busycal used to also do, but through CalDav etc. would be OK.

So, mostly just some decent, non-subscription Mac apps (calendar, tasks, contacts) that I can achieve that workflow with on my Mac and the other apps I can find for Android on a mobile device. It seems there are not many non-subscription apps that allow that workflow, I'm grateful for any suggestions.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This is a question that gets asked every once in a while on here. I'd say if it syncs in the cloud it's probably going through "Big Tech" one way or another…and there's no way you're going to get cloud syncing for a single purchase.

You might be able to set up some sort of open-source software running on your own remote server somewhere but that's not a single-purchase thing and would probably involve a steep learning curve.

ajf007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
2Do, BusyCal and Busycontacts all are one time purchases and sync to other services, presumably without using Google/Apple, etc. It does seem there aren't many apps in this space though that meet these requirements.

ajf007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
Update: I eventually found a link online to a spreadsheet that has a good comparison across many features of key software for Mac for notes, emails, calendars, etc. though no contacts, and indeed, the majority of apps in the space are no longer one-time purchases, seems they're not economic. Since I'm a new user, I won't link to it in order to respect forum rules, but if anyone wants the link, you can DM me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.