Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamplighter77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Richmond, VA
Does anyone know what the one touch dial application where the picture of the contact it is assigned to is the icon? I saw it somewhere either on appshopper or on this forum and I tried searching but found nothing. Thanks.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Does anyone know what the one touch dial application where the picture of the contact it is assigned to is the icon? I saw it somewhere either on appshopper or on this forum and I tried searching but found nothing. Thanks.

I do not believe this is possible, because the icon is packed into the .app, and to change it dynamically would result in the codesign being destroyed.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA

It is an application for Jailbroken phones, I had it installed back in 1.X firmware days, not sure if it is still available and I can't recall what it was called.

Lamplighter77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Richmond, VA
Thanks

Cool, I thought I saw a screenshot somewhere in the last month but I guess it could have been a while ago when I had a jailbroke touch before I got my phone.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
However there are plenty of one touch dial apps that are available on the iPhone that install as separate applications with different numbered icons/names, which personally I think is lame but I guess it tickles some people's fancy.

Lamplighter77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Richmond, VA
Yeah

Yeah, I found those and that is what sparked the memory of the app with the pictures for icons. I don't really want to bother with those others, the picture icons just have that extra coolness factor. I'll just use the built in favorites list in the phone app.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Every application has it's own document directory so you can store dynamic images, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible unless I'm not understanding what the OP wants.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Every application has it's own document directory so you can store dynamic images, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible unless I'm not understanding what the OP wants.

To set the application icon dynamically to a photo from the library or just to use a contact's existing picture and then set the launching of the application to dial that contact's number ala speed dial.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

The problem comes in changing the icon image. You have to edit the info.plist to point to a different image file to do this, and as far as I (and other devs have found) you can't make changes to the icon key from within the excutable. It would corrupt the codesign.

And the Jailbreak app was called Springdial, I'm not sure if it was ported to 2.x, and if it did if the name is the same still.

fungg3

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008

The most they can do is change the badge, but the icon picture is off limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.