Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I'm thinking of going back to One UI on my S21 FE, I have nova now but its so much apps on my homescreen I get confused, I'm so spoiled by apple's spotlight search I'm trying to organize the phone better.

What you prefer and why? Is stock just easier to deal with?

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
I usually use Niagara launcher, it's a bit unconventional but it's clean and straightforward

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
OneUI for me. OneUI is already highly customizable that I don’t really feel the need of a 3rd party launcher. Also, 3rd party launchers are becoming bloated with features that they become buggy themselves, and I don’t have time to deal with bugs on the launcher. Used to use Nova on older Android though.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Can one UI keep all the app icons at the bottom like a desktop (and like in Nova)? I don't want any apps on my screen and I like my icons very small i.e about 7 to 8 apps at the bottom per screen.

If not I am sticking with Nova. I think the standard size icons is at least 200% too big on all phones. It is the biggest reason why I won't use IOS. Their mandatory icons look childish.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I was a die hard Nova fan from my S3 onwards. Once I got my A71 and android 11 I thought I'd give One UI a try and I've ended up sticking with it as it's great now and gives me enough customisation options to organise my phone how I want it.

• Love
Reactions: lostPod

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Easy choice for me, One UI with Samsung's Good Lock have all the customization i need, and then some. It's like Samsung listened to the people that liked the customization of rooting, and gave their users a stable OEM version. Unbeatable combination.

Reactions: Smellmet

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Can one UI keep all the app icons at the bottom like a desktop (and like in Nova)? I don't want any apps on my screen and I like my icons very small i.e about 7 to 8 apps at the bottom per screen.

If not I am sticking with Nova. I think the standard size icons is at least 200% too big on all phones. It is the biggest reason why I won't use IOS. Their mandatory icons look childish.
OneUI with Good Lock allows you to use upto 9 apps at the bottom. Your icons will look small because of that many apps. You'll find this option in the Home Up module, in Good Lock.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Considering Nova has just been purchased by a data-mining analytics company recently, I would say you should go for literally anything but that at this point.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
Easy choice for me, One UI with Samsung's Good Lock have all the customization i need, and then some. It's like Samsung listened to the people that liked the customization of rooting, and gave their users a stable OEM version. Unbeatable combination.
Is there a GoodLock tablet version ?

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
Yeah I’m aware of GoodLock … I just havnt used it since a note 4 side load. Do you still need to search for it in the galaxy store ??

cosmogrammar

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2022
I just started using Minimalist Phone Launcher and really like it. Great for anyone trying to curtail their phone usage: no app icons, everything is text based; has app timer notifications built in; handy app name search as default mode to find stuff; plus, looks pretty cool.

I haven't taken the time to try a bunch of the minimalist launchers, though. Only tried Olauncher as well, which has cool backgrounds, but I like the swipe from the bottom search functionality on the Minimalist launcher.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
FYI you can use the Google search bar widget like spotlight search. Just start typing the name of an app, and it will come up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.