Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RudySnow

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
I love Smart Invert, which allows for a “forced dark mode” in certain apps, such as Mail, Safari, Apple News, etc.

I suggested to Apple they allow Smart Invert to ignore on a per-app basis certain games, etc., such as Fortnite, PUBG, Words with Friends, etc. With a toggle, I can tell certain apps to ignore Smart Invert, and the colors will appear rich and vibrant as they were meant to be, without inverting colors as they should appear.

Another suggestion I made was to have Smart Invert ignore settings in apps such as Overcast, Twitter, Twitterrific, that already allow a dark mode. Otherwise, Smart Invert turns dark mode-enabled apps back to light. I then have to go to the app settings and change it to “light mode” to GET “dark mode,” which is counter-intuitive.

I also noticed that screenshots override Smart Invert and take a screenshot of the app regardless of Smart Invert, which is bizarre.

I was curious as to the iOS community’s thoughts.

Reactions: BJMRamage

RudySnow

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Why would they do this instead of creating a dark mode?

Genius! I never thought of that! ::rolls eyes::

My title says “one way,” not the “only way.” Don’t be so myopic.

I’ll put it like this... ONE WAY for Apple to create a more customizable “dark mode” is to expand the functionality of Smart Invert since the technology is already in iOS.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Genius! I never thought of that! ::rolls eyes::

My title says “one way,” not the “only way.” Don’t be so myopic.

I’ll put it like this... ONE WAY for Apple to create a more customizable “dark mode” is to expand the functionality of Smart Invert since the technology is already in iOS.

My point being, why waste time implementing a half-arsed approach like what you have suggested instead of using that development time to create a proper system wide dark mode.

You asked for thoughts.. that’s mine. Not that it matters, I doubt Jony Ive is scouring these forums looking for ideas.

RudySnow

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
My point being, why waste time implementing a half-arsed approach like what you have suggested instead of using that development time to create a proper system wide dark mode.

You asked for thoughts.. that’s mine. Not that it matters, I doubt Jony Ive is scouring these forums looking for ideas.

So your thought is that Apple should “start from scratch,” not improve on existing technology. OK—then just say that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And did you read my post? DId I say I posted here for Cook & Co. to read?

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
So your thought is that Apple should “start from scratch,” not improve on existing technology. OK—then just say that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And did you read my post? DId I say I posted here for Cook & Co. to read?
You asked for thoughts. A user gave you their thoughts. Not sure why you’re lashing at someone for responding to you. Not a great way to get people to give you feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.