Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
If this question has been answered here before then I apologise.

In January this year I bought a new iPhone so qualified for the TV+ one year free offer. Haven’t found a single thing to watch, but there you go.
Now I’m thinking of a buying new iPad, so will I start a new free year of nothing to watch? I’m assuming it’s one offer per user ID and I certainly wouldn’t go to the faff of creation a new one for that purpose, I’d just like know.

As an aside, are Apple serious? A streaming service with almost nothing included? Have they seen Prime/Netflix/HBO?

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I was shocked when I got the offer for 12 months free. I've been binging The Morning Show, and it's good but is that series along going to make me renew? No, and there's not a whole lot else going on with Apple TV+ atm so I'm not sure what their end game is.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
In January this year I bought a new iPhone so qualified for the TV+ one year free offer. Haven’t found a single thing to watch, but there you go.
I bought my iPhone SE on 17th April and I’m acutely aware that I have until tomorrow to take up the Apple TV+ free trial, but I haven’t done so.

It’s free, so why haven’t I?

I see nothing on offer that I want to watch that I couldn’t watch elsewhere. And I don’t relish the idea of having to watch it on my devices rather than my TV (as I currently have no practical means of watching Apple TV+ on my TV).

I did consider taking up the offer anyway, in case something changes over the next year, but I just came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t worth it.

I’m maybe guessing that, if I don’t take it up, then when I buy a new product next year there may be a similar free year offer and there will be something that entices me to go for it. If there isn't, then it's not going to bother me.

As yet, I see no compelling reason to sign up. Even though it’s free. It's not often I turn down a freebie.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I bought my iPhone SE on 17th April and I’m acutely aware that I have until tomorrow to take up the Apple TV+ free trial, but I haven’t done so.

It’s free, so why haven’t I?

I see nothing on offer that I want to watch that I couldn’t watch elsewhere. And I don’t relish the idea of having to watch it on my devices rather than my TV (as I currently have no practical means of watching Apple TV+ on my TV).

I did consider taking up the offer anyway, in case something changes over the next year, but I just came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t worth it.

I’m maybe guessing that, if I don’t take it up, then when I buy a new product next year there may be a similar free year offer and there will be something that entices me to go for it. If there isn't, then it's not going to bother me.

As yet, I see no compelling reason to sign up. Even though it’s free. It's not often I turn down a freebie.

You may as well sign as not sign, nothing to lose, and they might just have a film you want see. I too scorn watching media on a mobile device, but I loaded the Apple TV app onto my Amazon Fire Stick and that seems to work well. There zero chance I'll take a paid subscription because I'm not a big TV watcher and there's too little new material spread too thinly over too many streaming services.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
You may as well sign as not sign, nothing to lose, and they might just have a film you want see. I too scorn watching media on a mobile device, but I loaded the Apple TV app onto my Amazon Fire Stick and that seems to work well. There zero chance I'll take a paid subscription because I'm not a big TV watcher and there's too little new material spread too thinly over too many streaming services.
My thinking was that if this is a "one per person/family/ID offer" then, once I've taken it, that's it. But, if I don't take up the offer now then, if I buy a new device next year, I may be offered a free year once again.

At that point, it may well be worth going for.

If it doesn't work out that way, well I've not really lost anything.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
If this question has been answered here before then I apologise.

Now I’m thinking of a buying new iPad, so will I start a new free year of nothing to watch? I’m assuming it’s one offer per user ID and I certainly wouldn’t go to the faff of creation a new one for that purpose, I’d just like know.

As an aside, are Apple serious? A streaming service with almost nothing included? Have they seen Prime/Netflix/HBO?
Almost nothing included? I’ve watched at least 10 things, if not more, and I haven’t even watched everything there is.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I totally agree, there's a lot of good content. Of course, production has stopped because of the pandemic, but I'm looking forward to more good things in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.