Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFrag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
The Netherlands
So I bought myself a brand new iPad 2019 :cool:

It came with a one year free Apple TV+ subscription, hooray!

Logged in, activated the one year free and I went on the look out for things to watch.

To my huge surprise I see a lot of movies that I wanted to see with 2 price tags. One for buying and one for renting.

I already have Netflix, Amazon prime, my own providers app full with movies and series and I probably going to get also Disney. Those are you pay a fee and watch all the content for free.

Perhaps I miss understand this Apple TV+ subscription but for me from what it looked like from the outside and how Apple advertised it, it looked like a subscription just like the other movies and series providers I just mentioned.

Am I missing something here? Is the content unlocked a day after activating your subscription?

I love Apple, so the next thing on my to buy list is an Apple TV little box.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Only the shows/movies in the AppleTV+ channel are included in the subscription, like The Morning Show and For All Mankind. The other content you might see in the Watch Now view is from other channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. There's also iTunes-buyable content.

Keep in mind that the health crisis has stopped production of additional episodes/seasons of AppleTV+ channel content. We can expect more new stuff in the future.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
TV app is a clusterf. On Watch Now page, only the contents in Apple TV+ channel is free (scroll down to find Apple TV+ under Channels).

Reactions: mrsmith1

MacFrag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
The Netherlands
Due to lacking of content I like and what they offer is so small I canceled my free 1 year subscription.

Right now for me the service is not worth the monthly fee they are asking. Even Amazon is cheaper and has way more content.

Perhaps in the future when they add more stuff I will look at it again.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I got a free year when I bought my Pro Max last year. I looked it it early on and it had nothing so I lost interest pretty quickly. I will stick with Netflix and Prime Video. I don't plan to keep it after my year ends.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Due to lacking of content I like and what they offer is so small I canceled my free 1 year subscription.

You did not see what you wanted, so you cancelled your free year, OK.

Right now for me the service is not worth the monthly fee they are asking. Even Amazon is cheaper and has way more content.

No one is offering you something cheaper than free for the year you had.

Perhaps in the future when they add more stuff I will look at it again.

It was free. In a year, when you would have had to start paying, you could have decided if you wanted to pay. Instead, you cancelled your free subscription and now if you want to watch any of the shows they add, you will have to pay for them.

Seems like an odd decision. (Would totally understand not paying when the free subscription ended, but cancelling before that is confusing.)

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I find it a curious choice too to cancel before the free subscription year is over. I have enjoyed much of the original content, and I'll be interested to see what happens next. In general, I don't mind the UI either once I understood the navigation. I can only imagine it will get better.

MacFrag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
The Netherlands
For me the current content is so bad and not interesting that I really do not see this changing any time soon and worth it to keep the subscription active.

Also running the risk of forgetting the subscription after a year and start paying for something I don't need and like is there. Happened allot with me in the past with online subscriptions.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
There is nothing wrong with canceling the subscription an being done with it since, unlike Apple Music, cancelling the Apple TV+ subscription terminates the free period immediately. I wanted to cancel as well but decided to keep it active in case something interesting appears during the remainder of the free time. I have set up numerous reminders to cancel before the trial ends.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
On average I buy 1 apple device per year so this is essentially free for me :)

Yes, only TV+ content is included, but I've had some enjoyment out of at least some of that ("Servant" and "For All Mankind" for example)

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020

It's only one free trial per person or family, not a new free trial every year with a new device purchase.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
For me the current content is so bad and not interesting

Just out of curiosity, what of their current 20 series and 6 movies did you evaluate?

that I really do not see this changing any time soon and worth it to keep the subscription active.

Wow, you must have really high standards! They have 29 new series and 8 new feature films that have been announced and you cannot imagine that they will even have one thing you will want to watch over the next 11 months?. Given the state of the film and television worlds, I expect that they will be able to pick up more features as they did with the Tom Hanks’s film Greyhound, that were originally supposed to be theatrically released.

Also running the risk of forgetting the subscription after a year and start paying for something I don't need and like is there. Happened allot with me in the past with online subscriptions.

Here is a suggestion so you never miss cancelling a subscription, set several calendar reminders, starting two weeks before you need to cancel and set reminders up until the day before.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Here is a suggestion so you never miss cancelling a subscription, set several calendar reminders, starting two weeks before you need to cancel and set reminders up until the day before.
Though with most subscription on Apple devices you can cancel the same day you subscribe and the subscription stays in effect until expiration date. Not so though with this trial subscription, so the setting the reminder suggestion is a good idea. Even for those of us who may cancel (although seriously, $5/month? good deal), it's worth riding it out until close to the end date since we only get one chance for a trial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightfury326

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
For me the current content is so bad and not interesting that I really do not see this changing any time soon and worth it to keep the subscription active.

So what did you watch that you deemed everything they offer to be 'so bad'?

Let me guess: nothing.

Reactions: throAU

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

I doubt they'd let you sign up for multiple free trials. The whole purpose of the free trial is to get you to subscribe, not to get it free forever ;)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
throAU is going to have a big surprise at the end of the subscription year. Not only is it a limited time promo, but as I posted above, it's limited to one per person/Apple ID/family.

Here's the promo T&Cs: https://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/EN_US_ATV+_Promo_TandCs.pdf
Nah I’m not

I already paid for 6 months before I got my new device and got it for free.

if it’s not free again (after another device purchase) so be it. But I’ve already been paying before I got a free year.

Shrug

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
On Apple's website under TV, AppleTV+, scroll down a bit.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 1.14.05 PM.png

MacFrag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
The Netherlands
On Apple's website under TV, AppleTV+, scroll down a bit.

View attachment 924863
This is not the way how it was advertised for me in the Netherlands and how it was suggested what it was.

It was suggested it was a premium service like the likes of Netflix, Amazon prime etc.

I watch what was on offer and I did not liked it. Perhaps others here do like it but I did not liked what I saw.

I love apple but this is not my cup of tea and for sure for me not worth it to fanboy about. You get to little what you pay for compared to the other providers.

29 new series and a little bunch of movies that are not my taste and not worth my money for now. This could change if they added more content I liked and added a whole lot of more free movies.

Kind of irritating that I have to have Netflix, Prime, Disney my own providers service with HBO stuff and when ever there is something for me that is worth watching on TV+ I need a subscription also for that.

Massive fragmentation :confused:

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Only the shows/movies in the AppleTV+ channel are included in the subscription, like The Morning Show and For All Mankind.

I tried to watch The Morning Show and had to pay for it. No way. S

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I tried to watch The Morning Show and had to pay for it. No way. S

Color me confused, but what were you expecting?

Apple TV+ is a paid subscription VOD streaming service. Apple give out 1 year subscriptions with certain hardware purchases.

Not sure where the disconnect is.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I doubt they'd let you sign up for multiple free trials. The whole purpose of the free trial is to get you to subscribe, not to get it free forever ;)
It's only a trial if you use it free for the year and don't buy another device. Then it becomes a paid subscription. Each purchase of an Apple device gets you another year of service from the purchase date. So if you buy a new device every year you'll never pay for AppleTV+.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It's only a trial if you use it free for the year and don't buy another device. Then it becomes a paid subscription. Each purchase of an Apple device gets you another year of service from the purchase date. So if you buy a new device every year you'll never pay for AppleTV+.
That’s not true. It’s one free trial per family regardless of how many devices you buy. See the Promo Terms and Conditions I posted in post #16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.