Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
This is my first time starting a thread and I tried to find the relevant category where this should be placed but I can't seem to find the best one so if this is misplaced, moderators can go ahead and place this thread where it is actually suitable...

I have been OneDrive Personal [free account] for years now and I noticed that downloading several files in one go [OneDrive ZIP file] does not fully utilize your internet connection speed however when you download the individual files, the download finishes within a few minutes to a few hours [depending on the file size] since it harnesses your internet connection speed very well...

I usually download through the browser for I don't see the need of installing [Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and macOS] and using the app [Windows 10] and I don't backup or sync on a regular basis so that's that... I also don't upload files in iCloud since trying to download files in the browser is a bit of a pain for me and I don't use the app also...

I purchased the 100GB OneDrive only since I have barely space left on the free 5GB and even that does not make a difference with the download speed... I am using IDM to download files and have set a download limit of 4MB/s and I tried downloading several files in one go but the download speed barely reaches 1MB/s while downloading 1 file at a time I am able to max the limit I have set...

I have also noticed the difference with the URL the file uses depending on whether it was downloaded individually or as a ZIP file...
individual file - https://public.bn.files.1drv.com [file is not shared but still uses public in the URL]
multiple files [ZIP] - https://storage.live.com/downloadfiles/V1/Zip?application=

Downloading ZIP files [collection of several files] in Google Drive does not limit/throttle your download speed and I know that Google is known to be not a privacy-focused company like Microsoft and Apple, or maybe just Apple, but I have been thinking of moving files away from OneDrive and transferring another one, like Google Drive, or maybe Dropbox in the future... Has anyone experienced the same with downloading multiple files at ones vs individual files while using OneDrive?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.