Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
As reported by The Verge Microsoft just released an update to OneNote that supports freehand drawing. Finally!

This now makes using OneNote across platforms much more viable (for me at least).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Man, you beat me to it! :)

Anyway, just yesterday I deleted OneNote across all my devices because of lack of support. Now I'm going to re-download the iPad version and give it a shot. If it works well than I might give OneNote another shot.

The OCR is a nice touch too.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Man, you beat me to it! :)

Anyway, just yesterday I deleted OneNote across all my devices because of lack of support. Now I'm going to re-download the iPad version and give it a shot. If it works well than I might give OneNote another shot.

The OCR is a nice touch too.
I though that it would be a slam-dunk for me to start using OneNote across my platforms until... I discovered that the latest version of OneNote for OSX requires OSX 10.10.

Microsoft giveth, Microsoft taketh away. :(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I though that it would be a slam-dunk for me to start using OneNote across my platforms until... I discovered that the latest version of OneNote for OSX requires OSX 10.10.

Microsoft giveth, Microsoft taketh away. :(

What!? You're right.

You know, I had been using OneNote on 10.9 as reasoning that Office:2015 will run on 10.9, but I guess the rumors are true...why Microsoft...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Now if only it will support active stylus, like the Jot Touch or Pencil.

bikejack

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
Any one know how to undo handwriting on a note with this new handwriting feature. Thanks in advance.

----------

Figured it out. There is an eraser button you click on at the top of the screen.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So excited about this, you have no idea.

I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 because I needed to be able to capture "digital" handwritten notes in a way I could make use of them on multiple platforms (Mac, iOS, Windows) and have access via the cloud. While there are some great note apps for the iPad (Noteshelf is my favorite), none have had good cross-platform two-way sync with cloud storage systems. A couple offer Evernote upload, but it's not quite what I'm after.

OneNote on Windows, Surface and Android allow editing of text, ink notes, OCR, etc. The iOS versions could always display the handwritten notes though I couldn't use a stylus to add additional text or diagrams.

Very pleased to hear it's been added to the iPad version. Not critical on the iPhone given the smaller screen size (even my iPhone 6 Plus is too small to really bother with writing on the screen).

OneNote is a great app and so happy it's getting good attention from Microsoft.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I think that the release of this function now is probably because Apple will be providing official platform-wide support for active stylus.

How strong are the rumours on this? Haven't really been following, but would be very happy if it happened.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How strong are the rumours on this? Haven't really been following, but would be very happy if it happened.
There have been persistent rumors of an "iPad Pro". Speculation and wishful thinking have been swirling around. That's about it.

I'm hopeful enough that it will happen that I'm holding off upgrading my iPad 4 for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.