Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
In this thread I have written about the crazy camera behavior.
Well, I was taking some ad hoc shots of my sleeping Shiba Inu (Kai), yes a favorite subject :), and ran into a perfect example.

Took a few shots of her sleeping in my recliner, she claims it, and here are two shots taken from about 4-5 feet about 3 seconds apart. No camera change, just click, pause, click.

A software issue OnePlus/Oppo really need to fix. Had the same issue when this device was running OxyOS12.

Still looking for a decent 3rd party camera app.
Testing a few.
I'm interested in your thoughts to upgrade to 11?
I had an op7 pro, below ave camera and slow software updates. My concerns for the 11 are the LTPO E4 display, as the new competitors flagship will be using LTPO E6, not as big of a battery drain, and its brighter. And why go backwards to USB 2.0?!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
@airbusking

I’ve been keeping my eye on the upcoming OnePlus 11 to see if upgrading would be an option. I always seem to have someone in my family who could really use a “gift”. :rolleyes:😂😂😂. Yeah - I can be a soft touch.

So far based on what I am seeing and reading in reviews, I’m on the fence. I will need to see a bunch more actual in use reviews, maybe drop by a TMobile store and physically check it out.

Concerns:
Type of screen - why not go with something newer that is also more energy efficient
Camera - has the software caught up - my 10 gets better each update but still can use some work
Camera housing - why round? Not a fan with my first impression

The price looks like it will be a big plus - $799?
Have to see what the Int’l version actually has.

More to come.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
@airbusking

I’ve been keeping my eye on the upcoming OnePlus 11 to see if upgrading would be an option. I always seem to have someone in my family who could really use a “gift”. :rolleyes:😂😂😂. Yeah - I can be a soft touch.

So far based on what I am seeing and reading in reviews, I’m on the fence. I will need to see a bunch more actual in use reviews, maybe drop by a TMobile store and physically check it out.

Concerns:
Type of screen - why not go with something newer that is also more energy efficient
Camera - has the software caught up - my 10 gets better each update but still can use some work
Camera housing - why round? Not a fan with my first impression

The price looks like it will be a big plus - $799?
Have to see what the Int’l version actually has.

More to come.
OP 11 has my interest. Hardware looks good (agree about the screen), software is my bigger question. Does it bring everything together in a smooth seamless device?

Reactions: dk001

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
OP 11 Pro will have the 8 gen 2. That is about the only selling point.

I used to love OnePlus phones but they are much more expensive, still have crappy cameras and post image processing. Oxygen OS is gone.

They are now just rebranded OPPO phones. I am not trying to diminish people who still love them but most of the advantages to owning a OnePlus are gone.

I would get a Pixel 7 Pro for $749 if they are still on sale. Sure it doesn't have a 8 gen 2 but it has the best Android software available, great extra features, a great screen, great battery life, excellent camera and software, and just a better overall user experience for less money.

I wish OnePlus would return to being the Flagship killer but after my OnePlus 7Pro it has changed in a bad direction. I don't know if the software is still buggy but after a year the OP 7 Pro I had had a ton of bugs.

All that being said if the OP11 Pro was priced at $649 it would be tempting.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I just wanted to thank @dk001 for creating and maintaining diligent posting and follow-up to this thread. I've been curious about One-Plus phones for years. But I've been caught in Pixel and Samsung upgrade cycles and am content there. I'm not sure I'll ever enter the One-Plus world but I do appreciate knowing what I'm missing.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
Not a good time to have 1+ 9 OOS update brick their phones (1+ 9). 1+ has really good hardware but their software appears to be a weak spot.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I see OP teasing their new tablet and focus on the rear camera…ugh, why? Has anyone ever said, I really want the rear camera on my tablet to be better? Just make it good enough to scan documents and that’s enough. If anything, make sure the front camera is centered when in landscape and focus on that cameras quality.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I see OP teasing their new tablet and focus on the rear camera…ugh, why? Has anyone ever said, I really want the rear camera on my tablet to be better? Just make it good enough to scan documents and that’s enough. If anything, make sure the front camera is centered when in landscape and focus on that cameras quality.

I haven’t paid any attention to this … yet.
Personally I will wait, if launched, till later down the road. OxyOS (ColorOS) is not a tablet OS by any means. Not even sure what or if there are any real tablet apps.

Would be nice to see another good tablet come to market.

Reactions: airbusking

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I haven’t paid any attention to this … yet.
Personally I will wait, if launched, till later down the road. OxyOS (ColorOS) is not a tablet OS by any means. Not even sure what or if there are any real tablet apps.

Would be nice to see another good tablet come to market.
My only guess is they are expecting the market to take off a little when Google drops the Pixel Tablet and (hopefully) gives app devs some incentive to create tablet versions of apps. But even if that happens, I don’t see a space in the market for OP just as their phones don’t really have a space anymore.

In the small android tablet market, right now it’s Samsung for premium and Samsung for budget. Once the Pixel tablet comes out it’ll likely be Samsung for premium, Pixel for all around, Samsung for budget. I don’t anywhere for OP to step in where they’ll be a better choice.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
My only guess is they are expecting the market to take off a little when Google drops the Pixel Tablet and (hopefully) gives app devs some incentive to create tablet versions of apps. But even if that happens, I don’t see a space in the market for OP just as their phones don’t really have a space anymore.

In the small android tablet market, right now it’s Samsung for premium and Samsung for budget. Once the Pixel tablet comes out it’ll likely be Samsung for premium, Pixel for all around, Samsung for budget. I don’t anywhere for OP to step in where they’ll be a better choice.

Great point. I wonder what their target market will be. Asia and Australia?

Reactions: airbusking

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Just received the latest update including security through Jan 2023. Have to say OnePlus is doing a decent job rolling out the updates.

@Technerd108

Took a deeper look into the new 11.
Definitely going to skip this one. On specs alone it looks good. When you look a bit deeper the things about the camera (mid tier), lack of wireless charging, ColorOS, while on the other side all for $699+ … you get a great top midrange phone but not really better than my 10 Pro. If I was coming from a couple of year old device, I could see it. They wrapped power into a mid level package.

If top mid range is your point - an absolute buy!
If you are looking for a flagship level phone at a mid tier price, you might want to wait.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Plus you can get a new Samsung Galaxy s23 for $299 or a plus for $499 or an ultra for $699 on Google Fi. As much as people love to hate Samsung and I can agree with a lot of them it is hard to argue that the hardware specially on the Ultra is not worth $699. Sure you have to switch to Fi but it is an unlocked phone and after 4 months you can do whatever you want. Kind of hard not to beat those prices and the ultra you get is 512gb model with 12gb faster ddr5 ram and ufs 4.0 storage, on overclocked 8 gen 2, and decent cameras.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Going to make this my last “scheduled” update on this device and how it is performing. If odd things arise I will provide additional posts or if readers have questions. Can even test a few things if requested.

Since Sept 2022 this has been a great device. Overall it had like most devices pros and cons. As my daily driver, it has performed very well.

Here are the top items I have identified:
  1. It is slim and fits very well in hand.
  2. The weight, light weight, is comfortable. I find it easy to carry and use.
  3. Good battery life. Took a bit of work to fine tune it but the end result was good.
  4. It is fast. Screen swiping, app launching, updates, data, it is a fast device. The GeekBench scores are a bit misleading if your expectations are numbers like we see from iPhone Pros.
  5. Charging whether it wired or wireless, including charging other devices, it is fast. Well under an hour from 0% to 100%
  6. Cost is significantly less than most flagships
Next are the con items I have identified:
  1. The edges of the screen are very sensitive. I had to apply a thin case to prevent inadvertent touches
  2. Camera software need work. With every update it continues to improve however there are times it does something that leaves you scratching your head
  3. ColorOS. While some may like it, there are a lot of inconsistencies and odd behavior here. V12 was a pain and V13 is better. Could definitely use some work
  4. TouchID is slow. It is accurate but at times takes a second or two before it triggers.
Lastly items that from my perspective OnePlus/Oppo could improve on this device:
  1. Flatter display. The curved edge are a bit too much … curve
  2. Faster TouchID. It works good but needs speeding up
  3. Spend some time improving the camera software - consistency
  4. Clean up ColorOS
To the general user, I recommend this device. I would not call it quite Flagship level but it is close. On top of that, the cost makes it well worth it.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Quick update :)

Looks like we won’t have a specific carrier stocking the 11 5G.
After a lot of thinking I am definitely skipping this model.

I’ll be keeping the 10 Pro. I will be putting this device into backup mode.
I just got a S23 Ultra that I am going to mess around with as my new main device.
More to come on that in another entry.

Now the 1+ tablet … maybe.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Just received a software update on my OP11.

Not that anyone cares but OnePlus fixed their notification swipe issue (well, annoyance). Now when you swipe left or right, it clears the notification instead of bringing that little trash can icon.

Go to 7:45 - this is what I'm referring to.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Just received a software update on my OP11.

Not that anyone cares but OnePlus fixed their notification swipe issue (well, annoyance). Now when you swipe left or right, it clears the notification instead of bringing that little trash can icon.

Go to 7:45 - this is what I'm referring to.

Have to see if one is out for the 10Pro.
Bring that puppy out of backup and run it for a couple of days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.