Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Unboxing and first look at the OnePlus 12. He’s a bit limited in what he can and cannot say as the handset isn’t officially released until next week, but the company appears to be sending out handsets to reviewers for first looks. Possibly to preempt Samsung.

Reactions: dk001 and Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I’m not a fan of that camera, but hopefully the phones gonna be solid.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
If Samsung didn't subsidize my purchases through their pre order deals a phone like this would be interesting.

The thing is that for me unless the software is an experience I enjoy using and is supported for a long time with quick updates. I also want reliable software.

Now that Samsung and Google basically match Apple in terms of 7 years of updates it is hard not to factor that in the purchase decision. I may not keep the phone for 7 years or even close but it is nice to know if I had to I could and it will add resale value to all of these devices.

So the appeal of cheap hardware is starting not to be as enticing as it used to be if there isn't at least an equal value in the software too.

Reactions: yui4

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
If Samsung didn't subsidize my purchases through their pre order deals a phone like this would be interesting.

The thing is that for me unless the software is an experience I enjoy using and is supported for a long time with quick updates. I also want reliable software.

Now that Samsung and Google basically match Apple in terms of 7 years of updates it is hard not to factor that in the purchase decision. I may not keep the phone for 7 years or even close but it is nice to know if I had to I could and it will add resale value to all of these devices.

So the appeal of cheap hardware is starting not to be as enticing as it used to be if there isn't at least an equal value in the software too.

Yet we have posters on the Samsung thread saying that long term software support isn’t that important as they will be changing their phone after three years.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yet we have posters on the Samsung thread saying that long term software support isn’t that important as they will be changing their phone after three years.
Who are these people? 😂 Lol.

Are they upset? Do they feel it is a waste of Samsung resources?

What is the downside for consumers of longer software support?

Do these people who get rid of their phones after three years not trade in or sell their phones? If they do wouldn't they want more money for their old devices? If they do want more for their used devices then longer software support will help.

I bet at some point OnePlus will announce longer software support. I think the push by Google was a response from Samsung. Samsung was first to offer 4/5 OS/security updates. The popularity of this decision became a selling point for Samsung so Google finally followed suit. Now Samsung is matching Google.

Longer software support has been a long time simmering issue with Android devices.

One of the main reasons I switched to an iPhone several years ago was due to the short software support at the time which was two years of OS upgrades and 3years of security patches and this was the best. A lot of Android devices were supported for 2 years or less. I thought to myself my Android phone costs as much as an iPhone yet in a couple years it is useless while an iPhone user can go on for years with the same phone and no issues.

It got me to switch. I couldn't see spending hundreds of dollars for a couple years of use.

I think updates are a bigger deal than a lot of people acknowledge.

Reactions: super chimp

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Even the 12R looks rather good. I miss my 8T, so a newer OnePlus phone would be desirable.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Surprised it’s not on Amazon yet s normally they get the new OnePlus models on there quickly.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Surprised it’s not on Amazon yet s normally they get the new OnePlus models on there quickly.
I see it on Amazon in US

1706116010235.png

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I hear chatter about a lack of security with Chinese phones. Do you consider this a legitimate concern or is it just people spreading FUD?
It is a legitimate concern depending on the brand. I would be more concerned with privacy than security for most but some off brand Chinese OEM'S have been known to ship with compromised firmware.

I wouldn't worry about OnePlus other than privacy. And even then in the Chinese OEM space I am sure they are one of the better ones.

Chinese OEM'S make some darn good phones no doubt. I think you just have to ask yourself how much you trust state owned communist controlled companies? Then just act accordingly.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
The OnePlus 12R seems have a more advanced screen than its bigger brother, and better battery life as well as being cheaper.

Reactions: Technerd108

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Currently testing a 1+ 12.
Have to say I am very impressed with this device. Smooth, fast, the battery is crazy good, and have not really found any issues with it. Just had another update that I installed. The only aspects I am not a real big fan of is the curved edges - they are a bit sensitive but do well with a minimal case, and the camera software. I can take a photo at 1x and 3x and the colors look very very different.

Going to put it through its paces over the next couple of weeks after this update. Once done it will go to my other half. She thinks it rocks in both color (green) and the round camera bump.

If anyone has anything they want checked or tested I will see what I can do.

So far:
- works well on Mint Mobile
- connects and no issues with Ford Sync Android Auto
- battery is the best of any of my devices and I have several

more to come.
pic of the 12 alongside my S24 Ultra.

Attachments

• IMG_5650.jpeg
    IMG_5650.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 61

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Currently testing a 1+ 12.
Have to say I am very impressed with this device. Smooth, fast, the battery is crazy good, and have not really found any issues with it. Just had another update that I installed. The only aspects I am not a real big fan of is the curved edges - they are a bit sensitive but do well with a minimal case, and the camera software. I can take a photo at 1x and 3x and the colors look very very different.

Going to put it through its paces over the next couple of weeks after this update. Once done it will go to my other half. She thinks it rocks in both color (green) and the round camera bump.

If anyone has anything they want checked or tested I will see what I can do.

So far:
- works well on Mint Mobile
- connects and no issues with Ford Sync Android Auto
- battery is the best of any of my devices and I have several

more to come.
pic of the 12 alongside my S24 Ultra.
Nice little write up. I almost got this phone...but the curved display changed my mind.

How has the camera been for you?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Nice little write up. I almost got this phone...but the curved display changed my mind.

How has the camera been for you?

Hardware so far appears to be solid. The software needs a couple of updates. The same shot changes color if you change lenses. See below - a 1x vs 3x shot taken 15 seconds apart. The 3x is what I see. The 1x is washed out.
Video - only done a small bit - is good.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: jamezr and Bkdodger

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Hardware so far appears to be solid. The software needs a couple of updates. The same shot changes color if you change lenses. See below - a 1x vs 3x shot taken 15 seconds apart. The 3x is what I see. The 1x is washed out.
Video - only done a small bit - is good.
Not bad looking shots though? I would say the one you are calling washed out has been brightened post processing. Detail and focus are good.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Considering I’m still using a OnePlus 6 it’s not the hardware side I’m worried about. It’s what they’ve done with the software since those days.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Not bad looking shots though? I would say the one you are calling washed out has been brightened post processing. Detail and focus are good.

I took them sequentially and was surprised at the difference. Have repeated it a couple of times and it is more pronounced during sunrise/sunset. The previous pics were at sunrise.

Focus has been very good. Exposure has been the biggest issue - definitely software.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Review of the OnePlus 12R Genshin Impact version. Which is already sold out on their website until the next drop. At the moment in the UK this is the only way to get the 16/256GB variant of the phone.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.