Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks :) It does indeed look nice and it's nice to finally have both of my SIMs in the same phone.

cdf8f68081b010981ded7bc64996e427.jpg

Here it is next to my S7e (with the lamp and part of my hands reflecting off the screen, sorry about that :p).
That's sweeet! And at some point there's a possibility I'll consider OnePlus because I'm also using two sims. But I really do need some water resistance with kids around me getting into messes and our life revolving around water in the summer. Unfortunately adding water resistance will likely drive the cost of these phones up and price them out of the market that's helping secure their place here.

Maybe good protective cases can save the day. My SE goes to the beach in one.

Reactions: Roadstar

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
That's sweeet! And at some point there's a possibility I'll consider OnePlus because I'm also using two sims. But I really do need some water resistance with kids around me getting into messes and our life revolving around water in the summer. Unfortunately adding water resistance will likely drive the cost of these phones up and price them out of the market that's helping secure their place here.

Maybe good protective cases can save the day. My SE goes to the beach in one.
Water resistance would be nice indeed and I've seen rumors about the next OnePlus having it. Let's see what happens to the price though. However, even if it goes up a bit, it's still quite a bit cheaper than iPhones and Samsungs. I was initially going to wait for a waterproof OnePlus before getting one, but with the Midnight Black version coming out, I thought it would have an advantage in the 2nd hand market compared to the standard models, so I shouldn't have too many problems with getting rid of the 3T to upgrade if the next model turns out to be waterproof.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
I love the two sims part of this phone. My mobile provider is o2, but because I use TalkTalk for my home broadband I get a free sim from them, and this sim comes with a small monthly data allowance. This is enough for me to check mail etc when I'm outside a free wifi area.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't know how Apple can look at a phone like this and not even think about adding dual sim functionality to their iPhones especially since iPhones are so popular with business people, really anybody who has both a company phone and a private phone and is stuck carrying two phones. I know my husband has been growing more wistful about dual sim capability.

Reactions: Roadstar and jamezr

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I don't know how Apple can look at a phone like this and not even think about adding dual sim functionality to their iPhones especially since iPhones are so popular with business people, really anybody who has both a company phone and a private phone and is stuck carrying two phones. I know my husband has been growing more wistful about dual sim capability.
Indeed. Also companies like Samsung should expand their dual-SIM device distribution. Dual-SIM versions of for example S7 do exist, but it's not available at least in Finland. The only dual-SIM Samsungs we have here are low-end garbage. It's about time we're starting to get dual-SIM offering also for more premium phones. I would love Apple to produce one, but I'm also a little bit afraid that if they actually make a dual-SIM iPhone, it ends up using some kind of e-SIM implementation that's not currently available over here.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
bd3380159e664da9c02c2bb146e64c9b.jpg

d30c2e37f24152b9fab66ea0f7f1a875.jpg

The camera seems to be quite OK with stationary subjects. If things are moving, then at least the automatic settings seem to be struggling. Is it finally time for me to learn to use manual controls effectively?

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
bd3380159e664da9c02c2bb146e64c9b.jpg

The camera seems to be quite OK with stationary subjects. If things are moving, then at least the automatic settings seem to be struggling. Is it finally time for me to learn to use manual controls effectively?
I had to return mine because of that. I couldn't get one clear pic of my kids. Every shot was blurry. Even tried manual modes but just couldn't do it. I loved everything about the phone except that.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I had to return mine because of that. I couldn't get one clear pic of my kids. Every shot was blurry. Even tried manual modes but just couldn't do it. I loved everything about the phone except that.
I hope they can address that in the software. If I'm not mistaken, some of the more recent updates improved video stabilization, so I hope they can make the still camera more intelligent about capturing moving targets. In the meantime I'll have to keep my iPhone 7 or the S7 Edge around for taking action shots of my kids. However, it's not like even those would always capture perfect shots when the kids are moving. I've had quite a load of blurred shots from both.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I hope they can address that in the software. If I'm not mistaken, some of the more recent updates improved video stabilization, so I hope they can make the still camera more intelligent about capturing moving targets. In the meantime I'll have to keep my iPhone 7 or the S7 Edge around for taking action shots of my kids. However, it's not like even those would always capture perfect shots when the kids are moving. I've had quite a load of blurred shots from both.

Yeah my 6s Plus sucks if the kids are moving. So I don't really fault OP for having issues there on a phone that costs half as much.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

So cute all bundle up! It looks really cold there in Finland....

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
So cute all bundle up! It looks really cold there in Finland....
Well it's getting warmer already :) The nights are still cold, but during the day we're starting to be around 5 degrees Celsius. We just haven't switched her to lighter gear just yet as she's only one and a half years old. The boy (turns 5 soon) is already using spring gear instead of full-on winter clothes.

Reactions: jamezr

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
WOW... i never realized that you could do that. That is pretty awesome :)

Is it hard to differentiate which number is calling or texting?
I tried it and for calls it looked like a regular phone call when it came to SIM 1. When call came to SIM 2, it showed the SIM's name (operator by default, can be changed in settings). When messages came, the notification said whether it was to SIM 1 or 2 (for whatever reason it didn't use the names here). When calling there are actually two call buttons with which I can select which SIM to use.

f1ab2a98e5664c7781a06d67bac0cf09.jpg

For messages there's the blue selector which toggles between SIMs next to the Send button.

e675b67cd612313459fb1fc58527f59e.jpg

This dual-SIM functionality seems really nice :) If I'm not mistaken, 3T uses an implementation where SIM 2 can't receive data when SIM 1 is on a call and vice versa, but for me that's not much of an issue.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I tried it and for calls it looked like a regular phone call when it came to SIM 1. When call came to SIM 2, it showed the SIM's name (operator by default, can be changed in settings). When messages came, the notification said whether it was to SIM 1 or 2 (for whatever reason it didn't use the names here). When calling there are actually two call buttons with which I can select which SIM to use.

f1ab2a98e5664c7781a06d67bac0cf09.jpg

For messages there's the blue selector which toggles between SIMs next to the Send button.

e675b67cd612313459fb1fc58527f59e.jpg

This dual-SIM functionality seems really nice :) If I'm not mistaken, 3T uses an implementation where SIM 2 can't receive data when SIM 1 is on a call and vice versa, but for me that's not much of an issue.
That does seem really nice! What great functionality they added! Thanks for doing that the me:)

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Hmm, looks like the camera is actually able to catch sharp pictures when there's sufficient light available. We were outside with the kids right around noon when it's the brightest, and even faster action was captured quite nicely. Yesterday I tested in the evening when it was about to get dark and the lesser light immediately translated to blurry action shots.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
WOW... i never realized that you could do that. That is pretty awesome :)

Is it hard to differentiate which number is calling or texting?
It's pretty cool.

Both sims are active at the same time so you can make/recieve calls and texts on either number. You can label the sims to something that works for you such as home and work. It then displays what sim is being used on an incoming call just under he caller ID when the phone rings.

When you make a call you can have it default to the same sim each time or ask you which one to make the call with. Same with text messages.

You can only have one sim for data usage though. I just use my home one which has 12GB so limit wise it's not really an issue.

The fact it's dual sim was one of the main reasons for me getting the 3T. It works really well for my usage.

Reactions: jamezr and Roadstar

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The fact it's dual sim was one of the main reasons for me getting the 3T. It works really well for my usage.

Same for me, I was getting increasingly frustrated with dealing with two phones. "Oh, the one with coverage over here is at home". "Oh, Whatsapp is activated on the other phone", etc. With everything on one phone is much more straightforward.

Reactions: andy2141 and jamezr

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Midnight black model incoming tomorrow.

I got the 64GB gun metal recently. The wife liked it and wanted an upgrade from her ageing iPhone. Well that was enough of a green light for me to upgrade to the 128GB midnight model! :)

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
...and she's here.

Very very nice. I even like the supplied free case.

Looks like mine is stuck on 7.0 with the Dec security updates. Just did an out of the box update, which only took me to this level. Might have to try the VPN trick that I've seen mentioned. Has anyone had experience of this?

EDIT: Just installed Opera VPN - changed region to Germany and bingo 7.1.1 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: UltraInstinct
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.